Corsair Community

K68 dust and liquid resistance explanation?

Riekopo

I saw the new Corsair K68 and K68 RGB keyboard recently. It caught my interest because I sometimes spill liquids on my desk and my house is very dusty. On the official page it claims "dust and spill resistance up to IP32".

I looked into the IP ratings and discovered something interesting and also troubling. The first number in the IP rating refers to dust resistance whereas the second number refers to liquid resistance. Based on what I read the so called dust resistance of the K68 is actually only "Protected from tools and wires greater than 2.5 millimeters."

And the liquid resistance is "Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position." or "Protected from water spray less than 15 degrees from vertical."

Actual dust resistance doesn't start until level 5 and the K68 is only level 3. So while Corsair is advertising the K68 as dust resistant in reality it is not according to the definitions of the standard. And while it does have some level of liquid resistance it's not very strong.

I think we need an explanation here from a Corsair rep and maybe for the advertising to be altered because it appears to be misleading.

p.s. The K68 is missing from the new thread prefix options.

Archived