Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD8GX3M2B2133C9 Compatibility?

Daniel Hunter

Hi guys,

I recently rebuilt my computer and I purchased some CMD8GX3M2B2133C9 ram and my computer doesn't seem to like it, and gives me the black screen problem.

I have a Asus P5Q3 motherboard, is this memory compatible?

and if it isn't is there any Dominator Platinum Memory which will be definatly compatible?

That kit is a very good kit for an Ivy Bridge or Haswell build with Intel Core i5/i7 and Z87 motherboards that support the supplied XMP. Your P5Q3 is a relic from the early 1GB and 2GB module times. It would have to be overclocked beyond its limits for DDR3-2133. At AUTO settings you could maybe use them with the standard dividers (DDR3-1066/1333). But i am not sure if the mainboard can even set the appropriate timings from the JEDEC profiles... If you can't even POST with them at BIOS defaults, your out of luck pretty much.

I don't think, there is any Platinum kit that is guaranteed to be compatible, but since you won't get higher memory clocks out of your system, you could as well just give the CMD8GX3M2A1600C9 a shot.

Before changing different kit of memories you better first to upgrade on some 3570K/3770K/4770K... Or even used Z68 and 2500K and you can use your memory.

Better to spend money on CPU and RAM than to search new memories compatible for your board. I think Dominator Platinum is best on Z77 and Z87.

I bought same kit as your only 1866MHz just before memory became expensive.

2x4GB for me enough until new DDR4 show up.

Archived