Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B and P8Z68-V PRO?

anyjungleinguy

Is the 16GB kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B compatible with the P8Z68-V PRO?

I tried using the memory finder but this part wasn't listed. I originally was going for 2x 2 4GB of Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) but then I read some posts on here regarding mixing RAM, even if they're the same type. Is this the 'safer' way of doing it?

Does it matter that CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B is listed as quad channel and not dual on the website I'm going to buy from? The section description lists:

DDR3 Quad Channel Memory is a set of four matched memory modules, specifically for Intel X79 Chipset Motherboards which feature four or eight memory slots. Quad channel memory will have a higher bandwidth than a triple (3 memory module) channel memory system. These Memory modules come with a clock speed of 1800Mhz or more (check product specifications), and are available in packs of four modules. Always fit Quad channel memory modules as a complete set to your motherboard.

I was under the impression that only dual channel would work on the P8Z68-V PRO. What's the best way of attaining 16GB? Two 8GB sticks?

I tried using the memory finder but this part wasn't listed. I originally was going for 2x 2 4GB of Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) but then I read some posts on here regarding mixing RAM, even if they're the same type. Is this the 'safer' way of doing it?

Dual , or quad channel is actually a function of the MB and not the memory . It is packaged and sold this way because Corsair can not guarantee correct operation or rated speeds when multiple kits are used as you have read.

A 4 stick dual channel kit would work equally as well in a dual channel MB as it would in a quad channel MB.

ALL the vengeance series modules are compatible with your MB and CPU , they were specifically designed for those chipsets.

What's the best way of attaining 16GB? Two 8GB sticks?

Yes, the less sticks you have in your Mb the less strain it is on the memory controller in your CPU.

But if you decide later on that you want 32 gig's I would highly suggest you either just purchase a 32 kit now or replace the 16 gig kit with a new 32 gig kit later.

Always get the capacity you want out of one single matched kit and not try to add a second kit later because of the issues have already read about.

later

In short, that kit would run just fine with that MB

Dual , or quad channel is actually a function of the MB and not the memory . It is packaged and sold this way because Corsair can not guarantee correct operation or rated speeds when multiple kits are used as you have read.

A 4 stick dual channel kit would work equally as well in a dual channel MB as it would in a quad channel MB.

ALL the vengeance series modules are compatible with your MB and CPU , they were specifically designed for those chipsets.

Yes, the less sticks you have in your Mb the less strain it is on the memory controller in your CPU.

But if you decide later on that you want 32 gig's I would highly suggest you either just purchase a 32 kit now or replace the 16 gig kit with a new 32 gig kit later.

Always get the capacity you want out of one single matched kit and not try to add a second kit later because of the issues have already read about.

later

In short, that kit would run just fine with that MB

Thanks for this, really appreciated! I'm glad I found the information regarding multiple kits.

I went ahead and ordered the 16GB kit because I can't ever see myself having the need for 32GB.

Thanks again!

Archived