Corsair Community

Cooling Issue! Please Help!

robfaber

Hey all. Long-time reader, first time poster and I am in need of some cooling help or advice.

Long story short, I built my own rig about 2+ years ago and have had minimal problems to date with cooling. My first CPU cooler was the Corsair H100i V2. After about a year, though, the pump crapped out on me and I went with a CryoRig H7 fan. It was a somewhat decent fix for the time being. Up until about two weeks ago, the fan was working alright, but I noticed my CPU temps were starting in the BIOS around 45 degrees and then would sometimes spike over 82+ degrees when under load or in a game. This seemed unusual. So I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the H100i Pro and also purchased three additional Corsair ML 120 RBG fans.

Unfortunately, though, my CPU temps still idle around 43-45 degrees and will spike over 78 degrees when under load. I know this is nothing alarming, but I have a buddy with the almost exact same specs/hardware and his idle CPU temps are in the low 30s and high 50s under load. I have reseated the cooler twice with my own thermal paste, downloaded every possible driver and checked about every possible setting in Windows and the BIOS. I'm doing push and pull on my 240 MM radiator, with exhaust fans on the top and on the back of my case. My ambient room temperature is around 75 degrees F.

This seems a little alarming to me that my temps are a whole 10-15 degrees higher at idle and under load than my buddy's and frankly, I am at the end of my rope with this. I feel like I've tried everything and don't really know where else to go with this. Please help! Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are:

NZXT S340 Elite

Intel i7 7700K

ASUS Strix ROG Z270E Gaming

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB (8 GB x 2) DDR4 3000

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1000 GB

Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD

WD Black 2 TB HDD

Corsair CS-M Series 750CS 750 W 80+ Gold

Check your Vcore. Any time you have high idle temps across two different coolers, efficiency is not likely the problem and you need to look at the origin. Are you running Auto voltage? Where does it peak? If adaptive or fixed, what setting?

Okay. I took your suggestion and checked the Vcore. Everything is on auto and I just reset my BIOS the other day when I started having issues. It's been on auto since I built my PC. When I boot up the BIOS, though, my voltage rapidly jumps between 1.136 and 1.152.

The Vcore never sits still on Lake processors. However, you can get a quick peak value by using CPU-Z -> Bench tab -> check CPU multi-thread and then "stress CPU". This is an relatively light and even load CPU test. The core temps should hit a mark and then pretty much stay there. Take note of the core temps and the max Vcore in iCUE. You don't need to run this more than 15 seconds. After that, you are measuring cooling capacity, which is something to be looked at later once you know the BIOS is line. The voltages you cited are not high, but that does not mean the BIOS showed its full hand at that moment. The stress test should force it to.

While you are taking down numbers, grab the H100i Pro Temp (coolant temperature) from the cooler tab. This should not change at all during the brief stress test and should be about +4-7C above your room temp at idle. When the coolant temp rises, but does not come back down or is abnormally high with light load, that usually means there is a problem with the cooler. Since you were having the same issue on the Cryorig and the Pro, this probably is not the issue but always good to understand the coolant temp range.