Corsair Community

H115i not pumping? (First time builder)

macleod92

Hi,

So I’m hoping you can help me with an issue I’m having with the H115i.

I’ve been troubleshooting this for ages and am having no luck. From what I can tell I’ve followed the user manual as closely as I know how.

I'm now not sure if it's a setup problem or a broken component.

I’m at the point where the fans turn on (at what seems like 100%) and the light on the water pump shows up.

However, when I boot the system (into BIOS) the fans are going crazy and the CPU temp rises rapidly. It will shoot up to 75C in a couple of minutes. I turn it off before letting it go any further.

I’ve changed the thermal compound three times and have been really careful to check that the cooler is seated properly.

From what I can tell the pump doesn’t seem to be pumping anything. I might be wrong, but it would explain the spike in CPU temp given the fact that the fans are going.

I have tried plugging the smaller cable which comes off the pump into the CPU_FAN header as well as a case header and in both cases I get a result of N/A in the BIOS. When I plug one of my case fans into either of these slots I get an RPM reading in return.

Full disclosure, I’m a first time builder so there is a good chance that I’m doing something wrong.

Here’s a video showing how I have set it up. I’m using the ASUS Maximus X Hero motherboard.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nIKLGe0Fri7pknLnI5wwRybP5BWzCVMN

I also threw together this diagram to show where I have the cables plugged in:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vOJSVsPybdmTiolfC4PpXCHaKqNQwuMY

If anyone could help, I would be really appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Unfortunately, what you've described sounds like the classic symptoms of a bad cooler. There's not really much else that you can do. Between the quick heating of the CPU and the lack of an RPM reading to the fan header, there's not really anything else that it could be.

Your best option is going to be to return it to your reseller since it's new (right?). That'll be your quickest turnaround. If that's not an option (for whatever reason), head to the Support Ticket System to get it replaced.

Thanks for such a quick reply. Glad to know that it's not something I was doing wrong; I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out.

Thankfully I bought it (used) through Amazon so can easily return. I think I'll be going with a new one this time around.

Thanks!

Thanks for such a quick reply. Glad to know that it's not something I was doing wrong; I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out.

Thankfully I bought it (used) through Amazon so can easily return. I think I'll be going with a new one this time around.

Thanks!

Glad that it's an easy swap. And yes, I would definitely recommend a new cooler, not used. You also might want to look at the H115i PRO if you are going with a new one. MUCH better (and quieter) fans (among other improvements).

Archived