Corsair Community

Is 500W Power Supply for 1080Ti in Corsair One Sufficient?

Waterman

Just curious, as I am thinking of getting one. I have been doing a lot of readings. I am debating between Aurora R7 vs Corsair One.

One thing I noted was the power supply while on the Alienware website. When I selected the GPU to be 1080Ti, it requires the PSU to be at least 850W. Then I noticed that Corsair One is only 500W.

This lead to the question, can Corsair One Pro power the 1080Ti to its maximum potential?

Yes. The 500w PSU is sufficient for the Corsair One. Even under load and with a few USB accessories drawing power, the system, CPU, and GPU are energy efficient enough to fall well within the PSU's capacity which is also likely under-rated (as many decent PSU's are) to provide ample overhead.

The Aurora R7 is designed to support a second graphics card and potentially other PCIe devices. Dell's engineers have said people usually go dual-GPU on the Aurora R7's. And...bigger numbers make people feel better. It's part of Dell's marketing shenanigans.

The Corsair One doesn't support a second graphics card or IIRC additional PCIe devices (aside from an additional hard drive), so the power supply is sufficient for everything the Corsair One is designed to do at a good performance level.

Think of it as a PC version of a game console. It's designed as-is with good performance and RAM/HDD upgradeability.

The 1080Ti can be overclocked nicely. The CPU only moderately due to heat considerations in the very compact and very sexy 12L case. Performance is good. Performance expandability isn't unless Corsair introduces an RMA/exchange-style upgrade path for M.2 drives, Graphics Card, and processor/motherboard if necessary where you send it, they upgrade it, and they ship it back to you in a timely manner. Right now that doesn't exist.

Also right now I won't touch Dell.

Archived