Corsair Community

How to clean the cherry red (after coffee and sugary liquids!)

spacef

Hi all,

Sorry if this is already somewhere but I did not find a previous topic.

Problem:

=====

a few sticky keys due to sugary liquid on the keyboard.

How it happened and what I already did to try to solve it:

======================================

A Coffee with sugar cup fell on the table and it went on the keyboard.

I immediately removed the keys and cleaned the white board.

BUT, I have a few keys that remain stuck sometimes: they can be pressed, but they come back very slowly. It means there is sticky liquide under the plastic red cherry fixture, or on the spring, or under the white board.

I tried to unscrew the screws at the back of the keyboard, but I can't open it. I did not want to use force because I don't want to break something.

I would need to remove the red cherry plastic, or go under the white board to clean whatever is there (liquid sugar).

Is there a safe solution to do that? or a guide on how to dismantle the keyboard without breaking it ?

Thank you very much in advance.

do any suggestions at own risk.

since you already voided the warranty, I don't suggest dismantling the kb, first try some 100% isopropyl alcohol with a qtip around the actuator this should unstick the key but it might also remove the grease in the keys so don't overdue it.

if you do use any chemicals like isopropyl let the keyboard fully dry before plugging it in again 24-48 hours.

taking apart the kb will get you nowhere since there is no serviceable parts inside and the keys are soldiered to the PCB, the only way to dismantle the key is with a tool to press in small clips on the key this will release the top cover where you can access the springs ..etc - again very risky and can easily break a key permanently

[ame]

[/ame]

also no one knows what grease cherry uses so once you remove it all it's hard to find a good replacement grease.

Hi "noir",

Ok so I think I got it working, without dismantling the keyboard or keys etc.

On the keys that were still sticky, I didn't use isopropyl alcohol but a simple non abrasive liquid that i use for cleaning tables and such (nothing too fancy, just regular cleaning spray).

The thing is that sugar will crystalize when drying, and it is important to keep the parts moving so it doesn't become glued forever. So i just removed the keys and moved the plastic cherry top up and down on a regular basis.

After two days, everything is almost back to normal.

So the secret is to keep the sticky part moving so it doesn't dry and become hard and glued forever.

I hope it will help someone.

Too bad users can't access the back of the white board to remove dust and other stuff though...

Archived