The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 PM

POST ID # = 980319
wtfisgoingon Reputation: 10

So now system drivers via a Windows update that I never wanted/needed (I never installed anything for my K65 and K63, just plug-n-play) are automatically installed to Windows 10 without my permission that, as a result, now prompt me to download some "iCue" POS?!

I bought my keyboards from Corsair because they were good deals on Cherry MX Red switches. I don't care one bit about lighting. Pushing iCue in my face via an operating system driver without my permission is a BIG BIG BIG no-no.

Corsair, don't think that I'm married to your products. There are other manufacturers that I'll happily switch to because of this incident.

Last edited by wtfisgoingon; 11-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:13 PM

POST ID # = 980327
glass_darkly Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
This is not spam or adware. This is simply a new functionality...
It's adware by definition; it's spam by rational opinion. It is a functionality, unfortunately it is a functionality none of your users agreed to, unless I'm mistaken; and likely don't want. If I'm wrong, and they agreed to it somewhere, I'd really like to know.

Quote:
Users can simply cancel if they do not wish to proceed and it won't pop up again until you connect a new device, the device is enumerated, or there are new updates through Windows.
This is unacceptable. Users cannot be expected to endure your advertisement every time they update windows, connect a new corsair device, enumerate their existing corsair device, reinstall their OS, get a new computer and use the same hardware, etc.

If its important enough to be slipped to us in a windows update, windows should ship us the actual software and not your solicitous advertisement which you so rudely forced into my system directory. You know, that place where all the really important microsoft windows system processes live.

If you auto-execute elevated-privilege programs in the foreground which the user didn't consent to download, it raises the completely valid question: What kinds of questionable things you are auto-executing with elevated permissions in the background? If you find this acceptable, what other sorts of intrusive nonsense do you find acceptable?

Quote:
This functionality is common in the industry and is here to help complete the out of the box experience. It is not illegal, unethical, or anything along those lines...
What industry is that common in? The Gaming Hardware industry? The Advertisement industry? I'm searching through my System32 directory and I can't seem to find another program or process that is even remotely like yours, which prompts me to install a non-microsoft program or feature. Can you tell me specifically who else is doing this? Any of your competitors? Tell me so I know not to buy their products.

If you're panhandling me to install your software, it's not out of the box, by definition. It is completely unethical, and I'm equally appalled Microsoft had a role in this.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 AM
BlaiseP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 980440
BlaiseP Reputation: 35

Maybe Corsair could introduce a checkbox in this pop-iup stating "Don't show me this again".

I've had this behaviour with with Nero Platinum 2019 (a billboard at startup asking me to upgrade) and as it doesn't interest me (I already have Platinum 2018 and rarely use burn software these days). Click the checkbox, dismiss the dialog box and I've never seen it again.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 980492
Greybeard Reputation: 30

Just in case you haven't seen this FAQ yet that we've put together to clarify some of the confusion regarding the iCUE Pop-Up notification. I hope this answers most of your questions.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182486
Old 11-15-2018, 07:26 PM

POST ID # = 980669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
Just in case you haven't seen this FAQ yet that we've put together to clarify some of the confusion regarding the iCUE Pop-Up notification. I hope this answers most of your questions.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182486
It's not us users who need a FAQ. Corsair is the one that needs it.

Q: What is this pop-up about iCUE that started showing up?

A: It's Corsair unilaterally installing drivers without permission that integrate with the operating system. This also affects Corsair hardware that was never meant to have iCUE support.

Q: But…why?

A: A lot of people don't want to install unnecessary software, so Corsair will attempt to force it upon them.

Q: But isn’t this spyware?

A: No. It's just malware.

Q: What happens if I close the window?

A: The driver that was installed without user consent permanently stays installed with no way of uninstalling it.

Q: What happens if I install iCUE?

A: Problems with your computer.

Q: The iCUE pop-up pulled me out of a game/program and was SUPER distracting!

A: This could have been avoided had Corsair asked permission to install in the first place.

Q: Is CORSAIR going to start requiring iCUE for support? Or is iCUE going to be required for warranty?

A: No and no. But the drivers for it will be installed if you ever use a Corsair product.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 980672
DevBiker Reputation: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisgoingon View Post
It's not us users who need a FAQ. Corsair is the one that needs it.

Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lot's of assumptions, false statements, and alternative facts. #FakeNews
You really have no clue how drivers get installed into Windows do you? Or how Windows Update works or what it does?

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
HydroX FAQ | RGB Cables |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Old 11-15-2018, 07:47 PM

POST ID # = 980673

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
You really have no clue how drivers get installed into Windows do you? Or how Windows Update works or what it does?
Windows Update. Not Corsair Update. Sounds like you don't know what's going on.

I never installed a Corsair driver. Now I have one. And as the FAQ from Corsair points out, that driver had unintended side-effects during the pop-up notification. That's why people don't like companies installing **** without their permission.

You are white-knighting for Corsair when Corsair itself has acknowledged to have been problematic.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 980675
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

You guys are hilarious. You act as if you are the front line, defending the world from corporate invasion. Meanwhile, you let Windows Update run unhindered, likely with the 3rd party software option ticked. Classic dramatic irony never goes out of style. Go ahead. Uninstall all your drivers.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 PM

POST ID # = 980676

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Go ahead. Uninstall all your drivers.
The one's I installed myself. Sure. No problem.

Corsair's that was uninstalled without permission. Nope. Can't.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 980679
DevBiker Reputation: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisgoingon View Post
Windows Update. Not Corsair Update. Sounds like you don't know what's going on.

I never installed a Corsair driver. Now I have one. And as the FAQ from Corsair points out, that driver had unintended side-effects during the pop-up notification. That's why people don't like companies installing **** without their permission.

You are white-knighting for Corsair when Corsair itself has acknowledged to have been problematic.
No such thing as "Corsair Update".

And I know exactly what's going on.

Obviously, you've answered my question. You have no clue how Windows Update works. Or half of what it does.

Corsair should well have forced iCue down. Realtek does that. So does Intel. And NVidia. HP ... Logitech ... and a several other hardware manufacturers. They provide their driver/software suites to Windows Update and as soon as you plug one of those devices in, Windows checks the VID and the PID, grabs it and installs. In the background. Silently. Then things "just work" and you are blissfully happy.

They didn't. They gave you a choice. They said "Hey! If you want this, download and install!". Well, that's just not how you roll, oh no. You want it silently done in the background based on a checkbox that you don't even remember checking and and EULA that you never read.

Because you're smart and you know what's up.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
HydroX FAQ | RGB Cables |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Old 11-15-2018, 08:08 PM

POST ID # = 980685

Quote:
Realtek Intel NVidia HP Logitech
1) None of the above have ever prompted a download for other software.

2) None of the above have installed drivers that my system DIDN'T need.

NONE of my Corsair products need drivers to function AS INTENDED.

Your explanation is somewhere between a red herring and a straw-man. Products by other companies that have Windows driver support are for products that require those drivers. You are justifying the inclusion of Corsair drivers that have ZERO necessity for being installed based on attached hardware.

iCUE is POS software.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:57 AM

POST ID # = 980724
glass_darkly Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_darkly View Post
What industry is that common in? The Gaming Hardware industry? The Advertisement industry? I'm searching through my System32 directory and I can't seem to find another program or process that is even remotely like yours, which prompts me to install a non-microsoft program or feature. Can you tell me specifically who else is doing this? Any of your competitors? Tell me so I know not to buy their products.
Quote:
Corsair should well have forced iCue down. Realtek does that. So does Intel. And NVidia. HP ... Logitech ...
I did not expect this question to be answered. I appreciate that. I now have a better understanding of the broader intent of the icue adware. They want to give their users a choice to install their optional software. That's arguably better than installing it outright, or mandatory with the driver. I tend to agree. I'll always rather have a choice.

The issue at hand is the method of giving the choice to the end users, which is intrusive, heavy-handed, and spammy.

Further, the key difference is that all those manufacturers mentioned roll out with actual, useful software, and not adware. Your point in regard to my question is moot, because no one else is installing adware in my System32 directory, to be executed with elevated permissions at such time as its daemon sees fit, which prompts me to install their optional software.

Tell me that's not adware, and you're fundamentally, definitively wrong, or outright lying. I'm not concerned which one it is; however you want to attempt to blow smoke up Corsair customers' rear-ends who are expressing their valid concern is your own business, and you're free to do so; but in this case, I see the problem and I'm calling it out.

I've reported the issue here to Corsair, who does not seem to be taking my concern seriously. I've also reported the issue to Microsoft, who were more professional, courteous, and understanding in their response. I'll likely follow up with them in a few days. I encourage anyone else who shares my views on this matter to do the same.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:31 AM

POST ID # = 980756
David A. Lessna Reputation: 10

I searched for "Corsair" on Microsoft's Feedback Hub and didn't find anything about this. So, I created one. If you want to "me to" it, head over there and search for Corsair. It ought to show up.

I tried including a link via their "Share" option, but it doesn't seem to work.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 PM

POST ID # = 980791

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_darkly View Post
I now have a better understanding of the broader intent of the icue adware. They want to give their users a choice to install their optional software. That's arguably better than installing it outright, or mandatory with the driver. I tend to agree. I'll always rather have a choice.
I don't want to have a FORCED choice. Corsair has no business pushing any drivers to my system that I didn't tell it to install, apart from a generic OS compatibility device driver that allows basic functionality.

I plug in my Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum (manifold better than any POS mouse you can buy from Corsair) and I can use it out-of-the-box with basic functionality. Logitech doesn't prompt to install its Logitech Gaming Software. If I want to get the full benefit of my mouse I go to https://support.logitech.com/en_ca/p...use/downloads# , download the software + drivers, and install them myself.

Corsair can just **** right off with it's "choice". glass_darkly you are one of the few who understands the issue. There's no need to concede ground to this idiocy. Corsair has no business installing ANYTHING without user consent.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 PM

POST ID # = 980832
fooflew Reputation: 10

They posted an update in reddit FAQ:

Quote:
UPDATE - Hey guys, just to let you know. We’ve pulled the iCUE notification from Windows Update - it was not functioning as we intended. In the future, we’ll make sure to incorporate your feedback into how we communicate with our new customers, and we apologize for any inconvenience that the iCUE update notification caused you.
Closed Thread