Corsair Community

Problem LL120 RGB 3 Fan Setup

arctiic17

Hello, as said in the title i have 3 LL120 Fans in my case.

Until today, everything perfect. Suddenly 1 fans RGB lighting stopped working.

I tried switching the cables in the RGB Hub, every fan is working in #1 and #2. Whichever fan is in #3 has no rgb. Am i right to assume that #3 on the rgb hub might just be defect now?

In icue everything should be set up correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I also tried telling icue i have a 4-6 Fan Setup to test slot 4-6, but i googled that doesnt work anyway bcs it works in chain and if i dont have a nr 3 fan it just will stop there.

icue.png.5cd10577d75747611f0442273d384842.png

Edited by arctiic17

Do you have lighting effects applied to fan 3? Have you tried instant lighting?

While it's not impossible for the fan hub to be the problem, it is highly unusual. They are dirt simple, dumb devices consisting of some traces and a capacitor. It's more likely that an LED goes out.

To test your fans, you need to be methodical about it. Randomly moving stuff around can miss the real issue. What I suggest is the following:

1) Put a fan in port 1. Does it all light up? If Yes, put it in port 2.

2) Put a different fan in port 1. Does it all light up? Does the next fan also light up? If yes, then the fan in port 1 is GOOD.

3) Keep repeating until you go through all of the fans.

4) Take a GOOD fan and put it in port 2. Put the fan in port 2 back into port 1. Does it and the next fan light up?

Do you have lighting effects applied to fan 3? Have you tried instant lighting?

While it's not impossible for the fan hub to be the problem, it is highly unusual. They are dirt simple, dumb devices consisting of some traces and a capacitor. It's more likely that an LED goes out.

To test your fans, you need to be methodical about it. Randomly moving stuff around can miss the real issue. What I suggest is the following:

1) Put a fan in port 1. Does it all light up? If Yes, put it in port 2.

2) Put a different fan in port 1. Does it all light up? Does the next fan also light up? If yes, then the fan in port 1 is GOOD.

3) Keep repeating until you go through all of the fans.

4) Take a GOOD fan and put it in port 2. Put the fan in port 2 back into port 1. Does it and the next fan light up?

Hello thanks for your quick response. No i dont have any lighting effects on fan 3 or any other fan, just instant lighting.

Ok i did the test.

Actually i did it 2-3 times and always got different results i was very confused. I thought about what changed today, and guess what i did a bios update this morning.

I checked in bios , it changed some of my fan settings. It changed the voltage going to the fan when the temperature is low. Could that be it? I have now all 3 fans lit up and working here, so in theory all 3 of them work right?.

Edit: I thought i had pinned it down to one fan being faulty and being able to send the singal on. But then i just put that fan in spot 3 and i got them all 3 to light up again.

I reboot but now when i do changes in Icue only 1 fan will apply them. This is all so strange hm

831550968_icuefullscreen.thumb.png.9295c1d3eb5abd55cb21e9a21ee925e1.png

Edited by arctiic17

A BIOS update shouldn't impact the fan lighting. The voltage for the lighting is on the RGB cable that goes to the fan hub.

It's certainly possible that 1 fan just won't pass the signal on. We've seen that more than once. However ... it's odd that they would sometimes work and sometimes not.

A BIOS update shouldn't impact the fan lighting. The voltage for the lighting is on the RGB cable that goes to the fan hub.

It's certainly possible that 1 fan just won't pass the signal on. We've seen that more than once. However ... it's odd that they would sometimes work and sometimes not.

Yeah i think thats the most likely case. Ive just accepted it for now, i dont change my rgb a lot anyway. At least i know all 3 rgb Leds technically work if i want to try something one day. Thanks for your help of course :)

Yeah i think thats the most likely case. Ive just accepted it for now, i dont change my rgb a lot anyway. At least i know all 3 rgb Leds technically work if i want to try something one day. Thanks for your help of course :)

If you are able to identify which is the faulty fan that lights up correctly but it's unable to pass the RGB signal to the next one, put it as the last of your chain... it should work well untill you don't add a fourth fan to the system... or untill it completely stops working.

Baio

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick update. I tried switching fan order etc. but sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt, and when i changed rgb in icue it became a total mess.

Today i got an icue update to version 3.27.68 and everything works perfect now! So it was a software problem. Maybe it helps anyone :) thanks for the help again.