Corsair Community

Can't figure out how to connect the three SP120RGB fans to my motherboard

martinmdq

Hi all,

It's been a while since I built a PC (although never built a gaming PC), so please forgive me if you find this question dumb.

I bought this awesome case Corsair 460x for my new gaming rig, and I'm at the point when I'm almost done with the build, with one of the few things standing being connecting the three SP120RGB fans power cables to the motherboard (specs provided in my signature).

The fans themselves come already installed and connected to the hub and speed/light control (thanks, Corsair!).

Specifically, what I can't figure out, is how to connect these 3-pin power cables to the 4-pin CHA_FAN 1 to 3 on my motherboard.

Aside connecting the SP120RGB fans, last thing will be installing the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB and the video card -- which of course has nothing to do with Corsair but I wanted to provide you folks with some extra context.

Thanks!

Any MB headers you like, however there are a few caveats. Your MB like most has automatic detection of 3 pin DC motors vs 4 pin PWM. You can connect them to any header and they will work.

That said, some are better than others. You don’t want them on cpu fan or it’s copycat OPT. Those are mated to cpu temp and rapid response for air coolers. The AIO will have a speed reporting connection that can go there. Also be aware W-Pump and AIO Pump will run 100% fixed, unless you go into the Adv BIOS and change it. That leaves CHA 1-3 and one the two on the front lower corner of the board will be better. You can use splitters to combine them to one control header.

Hey c-attack, thanks for your reply.

So, I found that the CHA_FAN 1-3 motherboard connectors in fact have a notch that fits the fans connectors like you say -- awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out :)

Good to know, because I ended up using all the CHA_FAN 1-3 for the front coolers, CPU_FAN for the water cooler fans and AIO_PUMP for the cooler itself.

I'm not using a rear exhaust fan yet, but should I need to add it in the future, I'll need a splitter for the three front fans, in order to make space to connect the rear fan.

You can't imagine how useful your comment is, I greatly appreciate it.

Edited by martinmdq

If this is a Formula XI, there also is the H_AMP header in the top right corner. That is perfect for a three way splitter of SP120 RGB and you migth not otherwise use it.

Do you know by chance how many fans can I hook into the H_AMP connector? Since I'm in the market for an splitter, I was thinking that maybe I can just go ahead and hook all the four fans there (the three from the front that comes with the case plus the rear one), if the connector supports that load.

The H_AMP header on your Formula is 3.0A -- which is a lot. 10 x SP120 RGB fan if you take it the mathematical limit. However in practical terms, any time you go beyond a triple splitter on one header you have a good chance of seeing control problems for some of the fans. There aren't too many quad or quint splitters out there anyway since you would run past the limit for a standard 1.0A header with 4 or 5 fans. Once you get into that range, you are usually going to find powered splitters (or hubs) that get their current from a SATA connection off the PSU, then only use the MB header for control.

In your position, I would get a triple splitter for the front three and run it from H_AMP since it is right there on the front corner and perfect for the job. When shopping for a splitter, go ahead and buy a PWM 3-way, even thought the SP120 RGB are 3 pin DC. The splitter doesn't cost any more and this way it can be used for DC or PWM fans in the future versus a DC only 3 pin splitter.

For the rear fan, I would connect it to CHA 1 in the bottom left of the CPU block. That one is easy enough to tuck the wire away between the fan and I/O shield and do a short run over to it. Another reason to do this is there may be times where you want a different speed for the rear fan trying to suck out GPU heat without blasting the daylights out of the front 3. But if you are determined, there are a few 4 way splitters out there, usually chain linked which may or may not make things easier.