Corsair Community

How to control my fan speed with my new CyberPower PC

Haxed

Hi All,

Need a little help. So last week my new PC from CyberPower systems was deliviered (specs below) and me being stupid I haven't ordered it with the Corsair Commander Pro (which I believe lets you control the fan speed). Instead all my fans are connected to a Corsair Lightning Node / Lightning Node Pro and the cases in-built RGB hub. I've got 9 SP120's in total and because I have nothing to control the fan speed (including the bios because they're connected to the corsair controllers) they run at max constantly and are quite loud.

Presumably I need to replace the Lightning Node Core / Pro with a Commander Pro. My machine has a seperate "Tidy Cable" area so I was hoping there was some way to just pick a Commander Pro up and connect both the Lighting Node Core and Lightning Node pro to it or perhaps unplug one of these and use the cables for the Commander Pro. My problem is looking at the placement of the Lightning Node Core, I'd literally have to take off my motherboard to completely remove it meaning it was pretty pointless me buying a machine from CyberPower as I`ll make a right mess of putting it back together haha so I'm hoping theres a little bit of a bodge job here.

Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Code: INFX88GTXZ £1,405.00 x 1 £1,405.00

Infinity X88 GTX Gaming PC (NO MONITOR)

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Infinity-X88-GTX-Gaming-PC

*BASE_PRICE: [+1138]

BLUETOOTH: None Selected

CAS: Corsair Crystal Series® 680X RGB High Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower (inc x3 LL120 fans) [+112] (White Colour)

CD: None Selected

CLOUD: None Selected

COOL: None Selected

COOL2: None Selected

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-9600K - 6-Core 3.70GHz, 4.60GHz Turbo - 9MB Cache + UHD Graphics, Ultimate OC Compatible [-109]

CS_FAN: 6x Corsair SP120 Addressable RGB Fan Kit [+50]

EXCD: None Selected

EXPAN: Built-in USB Ports

FAN: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 Liquid Cooling System w/ 240mm Radiator, Extreme OC Compatible (2x Addressable Dual Light Loop RGB Fans, Extreme OC Compatible [+9])

FLASHMEDIA: None Selected

FREEBIE_CU1: Intel Galactic Gaming Bundle (Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Orders) [+0]

FREEBIE_SSD: None Selected

HD_M2PCIE: None Selected

HDD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (1 Drive)

INTERBROWSER1: Microsoft Edge Internet Browser (default with Windows 10) [+0]

KEYBOARD: None Selected

M2SSD: 512GB (1x512GB) ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD - 3500MB/s Read & 3000MB/s Write [+25] (Single Drive)

M2SSD2: None Selected

MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory [+26] (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB w/Heat Spreader)

MONITOR: None Selected

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon: ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 2x M.2 [+61]

MOUSE: None Selected

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs

OS: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) Perfect for most people with all the core features of Windows 10 including: automatic updates, Cortana and DirectX 12 graphics support (No Recovery Media)

OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Overclock up to 20%)

PCABLE: None Selected

POWERSUPPLY: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply [+70]

PRO_WIRING1: Arctic MX-4 - Enthusiast Performance Thermal Paste (4g) [+9]

PRO_WIRING2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chasis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

RAID: None Selected

RUSH: Standard Processing Time

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO

SPEAKERS: None Selected

SSD: None Selected

STREAMERGEAR: None Selected

USB1: Built-in USB Ports [+0]

VIDEO: GeForce® RTX 2060 Super 8GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP - 4 Monitor Support (Single Card)

VIDEOCAPTURE: None Selected

VIVE_HEADSET: None Selected

WARRANTY: DESKTOP STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 6 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support

WNC: None Selected [-5]

XWNA: None Selected

All Corsair and most other RGB fans have two wires. One for fan motor power/control and a separate one for lighting. The lighting current levels are usually much higher than the motor itself.

The Lighting Node Pro only does Lighting Control for two channels. If that’s what you have, then you also must have two small RGB Lighting Hubs for all the RGB wires. The Commander could replace that.

If they are Lighting Node Core devices then things are different. They don’t do fan speed. If you follow the other wire back from one of the fans, it should lead you to the motherboard fan headers or possibly some other type of fan controller. 9 is a lot for a MB and I would expect them to use some type of powered hub for multiple fans that then leads to one MB fan header.

Adding a Commander Pro would allow you control fan speed from the desktop via iCUE. However, it would not replace the Core devices. You still need a lighting power source and that is the Core or the elusive RGB Lighting hub. I can’t think of any reason to change from the Core to the RGB hubs if it is already set up that way.

Part of the issue here is the 680x should come with 3 LL fans. They have sold you another set of 6 “SP” fans as well? Those are not compatible with the existing LL. Did they take the LL off? Do you have two different fan types? Are the SP really SP-RGB or are they SP-Pro?

Edited by c-attack

Hi,

I've got both the Lightning Node Core and the Lightning Node Pro. The Lightning Node Core appears to be fully plugged in, the Lightning Node Pro appears to to have 1 space remaining (presuming the Core is doing the 6 fans I added and the Pro is going the front 3 as part of the case). The RGB hub also has all 6 ports full.

I can change the colours etc of all the fans via ICUE it's just obviously the fan speed I cant. They all appear to be the same SP-RGB fans.

Looking inside the PC I've got a Lightning Node Core, Lightning Node Pro and a RGB hub that came as part of the case.

Is there a way I can just connect the fans to the Commander Pro Easily?

LOL. I am not sure the word easy comes into this, but this is as close as you get.

It looks like they did the right thing and set up the SP-Pro(?) fans on the Core devices and then used the RGB Hub and LNP that came with the case for the the three LL. You should see these as different devices in iCUE. You can also verify you have SP-Pro by counting the number of LEDs (8 for Pro, 4 for regular SP). Since the Core only comes with the Pro series, I suspect that is what you have - despite the manifest listing. That is good as well. Would have been kind of **** for them to sell you old SP-RGB fans.

A Commander Pro is 6 fan headers. 9 fans is pretty much right at the limit. You would need to replace the Lighting Node Pro with the Commander. The tiny RGB Lighting Hub will go into the RGB channel 1 on the C-Pro. In iCUE, Commander replaces LNP. Core devices unchanged. What you are going to have to do is find where all the fan power wires lead back to (MB or other fan controller), disconnect, and move them to the Commander.

You need to decide if you want to 2 way fan splitters for three of the fans or if you want to run a powered external fan hub and control it through one of the Commander's ports. Since you may already have one of those installed, you need to trace the SP-Pro fans back and find out where their power comes from. The SP-PRO are 3 pin DC and the LL are 4 pin PWM. You can't mix and match those.

I'm absolustely lost, I thought it was just a case of replacing the Lightning Node Pro with the Commander Pro and potentially inpugging the power from the remaining 6 fans into the Commander Pro.

:(

If the The SP-PRO are 3 pin DC and the LL are 4 pin PWM does this mean I'm not going to be able to connect them all up to the Commander Pro or did you just mean if I wanted to connect them to a powered hub?

Hi,

I've just had another look in my PC.

I've got;

6 Cables going from the fans into the RGB HUB

3 Cables going into the Lightning Node Core

1 Cable going into the Lightning Node Pro (LED Channel 1)

Does this mean the fans are getting their power from the Lightning Node Core?

Okay disregard that I'm starting to understand now.

I see that I've got 9 RGB wires going into the RGB HUB (6) and 3 going into the Lightning Node Core.

The power for all fans presumably goes directly to the PSU hence they run on max speed.

Is all I need to do wire a up a Commander Pro to the PSU, get power splitters to ensure I can connect all the fans to the COPRO and then link the LED channel from the Node PRO 1 to COPRO?

If so where does the COPRO USB port go into?

Each of those fans should have two wires. Follow the other one back to the power source. I suppose it is possible they wired all your fans to some molex 12v adapter, but I would be surprised. You also can try to trace it the other way. If you look at the motherboard and there no wires coming off those 4 pin headers, then they must be powered by something else.

The point was to find out if they already used some type of powered splitter for the 6 SP fans. That would be the normal thing to do and it also means you don't need more splitters. If it has a control lead, that can do to the Commander. All the fans would run the same speed, but some can be offloaded if needed and it is a better way to do it than three 2-way splitters.

The Commander Pro will communicate the same way as the other devices -- USB 2 back to the motherboard. It also has two pass through USB 2 ports. Commander to MB. Other devices can hook into it if needed.

OK, then that won't help and does explain why the fans run at 100% all the time. Kind of an odd way to set things up in 2020, but no matter.

So if you want to connect all 9 fans to the Commander for control, there are two ways to do it.

1) 3 "2-way PWM splitters". Yes, only the LL are PWM, but it does not matter for the DC SP fans. They can use the same type but won't have that 4th pin. The other rule is don't use 3-way splitters on the Commander, so they need to be in pairs. LL on Commander ports 1 & 2 (pair). SP on 3,4,5,6 with pairs on two of those. In the iCUE settings, you can designate a header for "4 pin' PWM or 3 pin DC duty. This will be right at the maximum number of fans the Commander can support and it is beyond the official number, but does work. If your Cooler Master AIO has a fan controller, that would take two off the list, but not if they are the SP fans. The CM cooler won't be able to run DC fans.

2) Option 2 is the powered splitter. These are usually SATA powered, go to a small hub which then has one control lead back to 1 header on the Commander. This is nice because it off loads the fan motor power to another SATA controller and is less strain on the Commander for high fan counts. The down side is they will all run the same fan speed. The other trick is there are a lot of PWM repeaters hubs, but fewer DC versions like you would need for the SP. In fact, as I scan Amazon UK I am not seeing any that I know for sure will work with DC fans. This might be one instance where the first method works better.

Okay so I have

6 SP120 RGB fans (SP are DC)

3 LL120 Fans (LL are PWM)

Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 Liquid Cooling System w/ 240mm (I can't actually see these fans because they're against the front of the case and two SP120's are mounted on the radiator as an extra outtake fan)

Could I do the following;

Use a 2 way PWM splitter to connect my front mounted LL120's to COPRO port 1

Connect the final LL120 directly to port 2

Use 3 x 2 way splitters to connect my SP120's to COPRO port 3, 3, 4 and 6

and leave my existing Coolermaster CPU fan as is?

Would I just then need to connect the COPRO to the motherboard and then connect the COPRO LED Channel 1 to the Node Pro?

I take it, it doesnt matter I've got SP120's and LL120's connected to the COPRO?

Mark

Could I do the following;

and leave my existing Coolermaster CPU fan as is?

Yes, this will work. The cooler master fans likely run from its own PWM controller in the unit and can be controlled through CM software, whatever that is. If not, the solution might be to get a powered PWM hub for the 5 PWM fans (3 LL and 2 CM) and that runs from port 1 on the Commander. It may be beneficial to have the push-pull opposing fans on either side of the radiator running approximately the same speed.

Would I just then need to connect the COPRO to the motherboard and then connect the COPRO LED Channel 1 to the Node Pro?

You could just jack the Node Pro USB connection into the Commander, but you probably want that SATA power connector back. The Commander will physically replace the LNP. The little cable that leads to the 6 port RGB Lighting Hub with all the fans will connect back to RGB channel 1 and 2 (one for each LL and SP set), same as on the LNP.

I take it, it doesnt matter I've got SP120's and LL120's connected to the COPRO?

No, you can mix and match DC and PWM fans and each fan # is individually selectable for PWM or DC. You just don't want them on a splitter together.

Given I've got 11 fans in total and a case that's pretty efficient hoping it won't matter to much if the fan speeds are too different from the CM radiator? I think I'm too lazy and incompetent to do anything fancy haha.

So In theory, at my laziest I can do the following;

Disconnect the USB connection from the Node Pro and put it into the COPRO, connect the COPRO to the SATA Power Connector and then plug in the LED cable going from the RGB hub to the LNP into channel 1 of the COPRO?

Also thank you by the way for all your help!

One reason to run the the fans on either side of the radiator at similar speeds is acoustics. If they get to far apart, you often get some higher frequency harmonics. Some users are sensitive to this while others may never notice. From a performance stand point, if one set is running the fast and the other slow, the slow fans become drag and hurt overall air flow through the radiator.

I don't know what kind of controls you have for the CM AIO and it may be very easy to set them one way and the Corsair ones a similar way and its done. However, if it does not have good controls (or none at all), I would be easier to deal with it all at once vs having to dive in there again later. I am also assuming the CM cooler has its own onboard fan controller (fans plugged into some kind of splitter from the AIO). It wasn't that long ago most coolers did not and that would be two more fans to deal with.

I think the CM Radiator is connected to the the PUMP_FAN1 and or SYSFAN_1 port on the MOBO so presumably my MOBO CPU temp is controlling my radiator anyway?

Was I correct with;

Disconnect the USB connection from the Node Pro and put it into the COPRO, connect the COPRO to the SATA Power Connector and then plug in the LED cable going from the RGB hub to the LNP into channel 1 of the COPRO?

It looks like there is a USB port on the "Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 Liquid Cooling System", but they go to an awful lot of trouble to obscure that port on every picture on their website. When I download the manual, it suggests there is no fan controller with one MB lead for power and the other splits into two fan wires. So the one from the pump goes to the MB and should be set at 100% in the BIOS. That wire can stay right where it is.

The other wires has the two fans. They are PWM according to the CM product page. I think its worthwhile to get 6-8 port PWM hub for the LL120x3 + 2 CM fans. There is no reason to run those 5 fans at different speeds, the PWM hub is not expensive, and it will save you 2 splitters for the DC SP fans. The 5 will be controlled by 1 port on the Commander. That gives you 5 headers for the 6 SP fans and complete software control over ALL fans in the system.

To confirm, the radiator is mounted in the front of the case behind the LL fans, correct? If it is up top with the SP fans, that changes this substantially.

Something like this is what you want. Any should work, but be careful of the "wire type" ones that doesn't have a hub. It must be powered via SATA or some other external source and also the wire types sometimes sequentially pass the signal along rather than in a circuit for all headers. here is another UK sourced one and a more reasonable price. There are more, I just did a superficial search.

The Radiator is mounted at the front of the case.

Basically I've got the 3 LL120's in the front of the case, the CM radiator mounted to these and then a further 2 SP120s behind that.

Here's an image of the setup

https://ibb.co/HGg0y9m

https://ibb.co/bXVQDjg

So what I'd basically do is the following

3 LL120's (Infront of the Radiator)

2 SP120's (Behind the Radiator)

Into a powered PWM HUB e.g. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermaltake-commander-fp-10-port-fan-splitter-hub-for-pwm-fans

Connect that PWM hub into one of the fan ports of the COPRO (which would mean all 5 fans are the same speed).

and connect the remaining 4 SP120's to the remaining 4 COPRO fan ports.

Although the review for that particular splitter says the following "It doesn't actually do this - it has one sensing port which is PWM controlled but all the other ports only work via three pins. If you plug in a 4 pin PWM fan on the other port it runs at 100%" so presumably I can't use that either

Edited by Haxed

OK, so the Cooler Master fans that normally come with that AIO are already gone? That may make the PWM hub for the front less useful. There might be some PWM hubs that work with one PWM hub in the control slot and DC fans in the subservient slot, but I won't bet on it. The 4 pin control and 3 pin for the other slots is normal and the splitter you buy will be the same way. 1 tachometer wire (RPM). You don't want 10 speeds reported back to the controller. Seems like splitters it will be. Back to Plan A.

Okay so;

The COPRO will be table to control the RPM of both the DC and PWM fans still right? i.e. at the same time so I could have say 4 ports being PWM controlled and 2 ports being voltage dc controlled speedwise?

Edited by Haxed

Each header on the C-Pro is individually selectable in the software for 3 or 4 pin operation. The default setting is “auto detect”.

While it’s possible to simply jack the LNP into the Commander, really the Commander can replace it. The only reason I can think of not to do this is if you have a lot of lighting profiles and don’t want to export and re-import them. When you connect the Commander and plug fans and strips into it, the lighting control moves from LNP to C-Pro. This will require you to re-do the lighting or reimport them.

Haven't even got around to setting up any profiles so I`ll just replace.

I guess I might as well disconnect the LNP as presumably I can use the MOBO header and sata power from it straight into the COPRO which saves me a few wires?

Mark