Corsair Community

H100i Pro fan speeds locked?

thafoe

To start off, I should say that I use iCUE to monitor and control the H100i Pro; however, it seems that I can only change the speed for the pump itself. If I try and change the speed/profile for the fans, the RPM remains the same.

I should also note that one of the fan seems to idle slightly lower than the other (~1150RPM vs. ~1200RPM), although I suspect this is due to the design of my case and I don't think there is really an issue here. For reference, the speed I just previously mentioned is where my fans idle. They never go any higher or lower, regardless of system load.

The last thing I can think to add at the moment is that I have tried changing the speeds/settings in my BIOS (ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB) with the same results as iCUE. I am able to change the pump speed; yet the fans, while detected, will not change speeds no matter what.

Well, hard to say what's going on as we don't have enough information.

First, what's the temperature of the H100i? Second, have you created a custom fan curve?

My apologies, I have filled out the information of my specs in my profile. The temperature of the H100i is 32 Celsius idle. I have tried a curve with fixed %, fixed RPM, and custom curve. None affect the speed of the fans. Also, for some reason it doesn't allow me to set a custom curve to my pump, although I am able to apply any of the default curves (quiet, balanced, extreme).

When you setup the fan speed curve what temp sensor are you basing it off? If you just set the curve and keep the temp sensor set to the water temp of the AIO then the fans will not speed up until the liquid heats up more. So if it sits at 32C no matter they load the fans would never spin faster as they are not being told to. I have my custom fan curve set to CPU temp so as the processor heats up the fans spin up and keep my coolant from rising to quickly and keep it closer to the same temp.

My apologies, I have filled out the information of my specs in my profile. The temperature of the H100i is 32 Celsius idle. I have tried a curve with fixed %, fixed RPM, and custom curve. None affect the speed of the fans. Also, for some reason it doesn't allow me to set a custom curve to my pump, although I am able to apply any of the default curves (quiet, balanced, extreme).

When you created the custom curve, did you apply it to the fan? You have to click the curve, then click the fan ... the name of your custom curve should appear under the fan. It's a little confusing at first.

The last thing I can think to add at the moment is that I have tried changing the speeds/settings in my BIOS (ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB) with the same results as iCUE. I am able to change the pump speed; yet the fans, while detected, will not change speeds no matter what.

You mention "yet while the fans detected" in reference to accessing the BIOS. Are the fans plugged into the AIO pump pigtails or are they connected to the numerous cpu, pump and chassis fan headers on the motherboard? The fans need to be connected to the AIO fan pigtails / splitter for proper control within iCUE. If connected to the motherboard they may be locked at max speed if DC 3-pin fan control is not offered for that particular board. Max speed however would be I think 2,400 RPM for that AIO.

You mention "yet while the fans detected" in reference to accessing the BIOS. Are the fans plugged into the AIO pump pigtails or are they connected to the numerous cpu, pump and chassis fan headers on the motherboard? The fans need to be connected to the AIO fan pigtails / splitter for proper control within iCUE. If connected to the motherboard they may be locked at max speed if DC 3-pin fan control is not offered for that particular board. Max speed however would be I think 2,400 RPM for that AIO.

The pump itself is plugged into the motherboard fan header, while the two fans connected to the pump are connected via the splitters, so they are not connected directly to the board.

@jamie1073 I'm basing if off the CPU package temperature.

Quiet:

bc846202a85bea6e15a3378e665bc21c.png

Extreme:

bdf2332befd2c4ab79a5536986458117.png

As you can see the fan speeds stay relatively the same.

The Quiet/Balanced/Extreme settings are not a L/M/H switch. Each is an independent fan curve with a different slope, Extreme being the most aggressive. If the coolant temp is low enough, all three will be more or less the same. However, I am going to go with "stuck" for this one.

I was hoping you could confirm that fixed RPM or fixed % were not working. I would like to try and separate a hardware controller problem from a software issue. From your custom curve, set to 100% and apply. You do appear to know how to apply the fans curve and that is surprisingly the issue in a large number of instances. The pump does appear to follow its directions.

I am assuming this is a new unit and this has been in play since you installed. If it did work before and now does not, let us know. Are you running any other full spectrum monitoring programs that read the Corsair gear (HWiNFO, AIDA64, etc.)?

The Quiet/Balanced/Extreme settings are not a L/M/H switch. Each is an independent fan curve with a different slope, Extreme being the most aggressive. If the coolant temp is low enough, all three will be more or less the same. However, I am going to go with "stuck" for this one.

I was hoping you could confirm that fixed RPM or fixed % were not working. I would like to try and separate a hardware controller problem from a software issue. From your custom curve, set to 100% and apply. You do appear to know how to apply the fans curve and that is surprisingly the issue in a large number of instances. The pump does appear to follow its directions.

I am assuming this is a new unit and this has been in play since you installed. If it did work before and now does not, let us know. Are you running any other full spectrum monitoring programs that read the Corsair gear (HWiNFO, AIDA64, etc.)?

Here is an image of the fixed mode:

9a610e2dc1ef2dd49894875d6a74fd0b.png

Here is zero RPM mode:

1475e34dddb7974bbcb4d23446caf1fa.png

1800 RPM:

546a05d6c5c2ad1d5927f1e554bd3047.png

The only other software I use for my computer that monitors data is MSI Afterburner and RivaTunerStatisticsServer. Also, although this unit is not brand new, it's not even a year old yet; and yes, the fans have never changed speeds from day one. I always assumed it was a software issue until I tried adjusting the speeds in the BIOS a few days ago. My computer's temperatures stay pretty good overall, and while I don't know much about liquid cooling and how it works, I can only assume that the fans would help to reduce load on the pump.

Edited by thafoe

Afterburner and RTSS are fine. We are all using those.

Go back to the custom curve at sett the top Fixed % to 100%. You DON'T need to post the picture. Just check to see if it is still the same. Some Corsair controllers use RPM to control fan speed. Others use PWM %. A defect or break in the tachometer or PWM wires in the splitter could cause this, but there is no proof at this point. If one does work, then we know it's not the controller.

Afterburner and RTSS are fine. We are all using those.

Go back to the custom curve at sett the top Fixed % to 100%. You DON'T need to post the picture. Just check to see if it is still the same. Some Corsair controllers use RPM to control fan speed. Others use PWM %. A defect or break in the tachometer or PWM wires in the splitter could cause this, but there is no proof at this point. If one does work, then we know it's not the controller.

It changed nothing. I realized while testing some stuff in BIOS, that while the fans are detected, the RPM is N/A for both fans. On my motherboard there are only two fan headers: CPU_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2/WP. My pump is connected the the later, while the 1 chassis fan I have is connected to the CPU_FAN1. I am going to switch these around and see if I have any change. I will report back.

It will not. The MB/BIOS controls have no effect on cooler operation. That connection to the MB has a single wire. It is a tachometer wire only and reports RPM of the pump the BIOS. That's it.

If this has always been the situation across multiple versions of iCUE, a software issue seems very unlikely. If you want, you can try a repair install of iCUE by going to the Windows Apps list, Corsair iCUE, left click and choose "Modify". I would expect no change, but you can include this in your support ticket and hopefully it will speed things along.

I think there is likely a problem on the splitter wire or on the internal fan controller itself. Unfortunately, that means replacement and you need to go through Corsair directly. The Support Ticket System link is the header above. Include the same information you have in this thread. Fan speeds NEVER change across all three presets, Fixed %, and Fixed RPM.

While you are waiting for them to respond, you could try one other thing. Set the fans and pump back into "Balanced" mode. Quit iCUE entirely from the task manager and also stop the Corsair Service (32 bit). The cooler should run the balanced program in this state. Load up a game or mild CPU test. Do the fans speed up? In this state the cooler is running from it's own firmware. A bad controller will still prevent fan speed changes. Bad software will not and is no longer part of the equation. To go back to normal, simply load iCUE from the menu again.

You could move the fans from the Cooler's controller to the MB fan headers. That would shift the control to the BIOS, but that is not an ideal situation. It is an option nevertheless.

It will not. The MB/BIOS controls have no effect on cooler operation. That connection to the MB has a single wire. It is a tachometer wire only and reports RPM of the pump the BIOS. That's it.

If this has always been the situation across multiple versions of iCUE, a software issue seems very unlikely. If you want, you can try a repair install of iCUE by going to the Windows Apps list, Corsair iCUE, left click and choose "Modify". I would expect no change, but you can include this in your support ticket and hopefully it will speed things along.

I think there is likely a problem on the splitter wire or on the internal fan controller itself. Unfortunately, that means replacement and you need to go through Corsair directly. The Support Ticket System link is the header above. Include the same information you have in this thread. Fan speeds NEVER change across all three presets, Fixed %, and Fixed RPM.

While you are waiting for them to respond, you could try one other thing. Set the fans and pump back into "Balanced" mode. Quit iCUE entirely from the task manager and also stop the Corsair Service (32 bit). The cooler should run the balanced program in this state. Load up a game or mild CPU test. Do the fans speed up? In this state the cooler is running from it's own firmware. A bad controller will still prevent fan speed changes. Bad software will not and is no longer part of the equation. To go back to normal, simply load iCUE from the menu again.

You could move the fans from the Cooler's controller to the MB fan headers. That would shift the control to the BIOS, but that is not an ideal situation. It is an option nevertheless.

The fans did not change with the experiment. This motherboard only has 2 headers, both of which are being used, so that's not an option.

This is an example of one of my fan curves.

Doesn't matter what curve or preset I use, my fans seem to be locked at their current RPM.

I did unhook the splitter cables for the fans and reconnected them in a hope to reset them. Didn't change anything. The fans are detected in the BIOS, although it isn't able to grab the speed of the fans.

• 7 months later...
To start off, I should say that I use iCUE to monitor and control the H100i Pro; however, it seems that I can only change the speed for the pump itself. If I try and change the speed/profile for the fans, the RPM remains the same.

I should also note that one of the fan seems to idle slightly lower than the other (~1150RPM vs. ~1200RPM), although I suspect this is due to the design of my case and I don't think there is really an issue here. For reference, the speed I just previously mentioned is where my fans idle. They never go any higher or lower, regardless of system load.

By any chance did you ever figure this out? I just finished my build and I'm having the same exact issue and I have tried everything I could think of and I can still only control my pump. Both fans are locked in at 1400 rpm. I'm running out of options and may have to hook them up to my mb if I don't figure this out soon. Thank you for any info you could give me or maybe point me in the right direction to fix this properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still using this cooler to this day, no problems besides still not being able to control the fan speeds. I've tried all the advice offered up until this point. If anyone has anything new to contribute, I would be grateful; thank you.

P.S. It could just be a manufacturer defect, but I don't plan on RMAing at this point.