Corsair Community

Corsair WC Kit Installed- Question?

nateb

First off - this seems to be a good WC kit - installation was easy. However, I will say that I had to drill holes at the back of my full size Antec 1080 tower to accommodate the external radiator mount. No problem- that's why I have a Dremmel and I like working on stuff.

QUESTION PLEASE : On the pump there are 2 electrical lead connections:

1) The four pin power molex- which connects to the PSU for power

2)A smaller wire lead from the pump that appears to be a "fan type" connector- you know , just like the one you plug into the motherboard

Is the smaller fan plug supposed to be plugged into the mOther board to monitor ( and or - control) the pump speed???

BTW- My Prescott 3.2 , as I type is OC'd to 4 Ghz running Prime 95 over one hour, and high cpu temp of only 62 celcious. This too with the Vcore voltage bumped a few notches up.

Edit: Have been running Prime 95 torture test for 6 hours so far without a glitch. Maximum temp 64 celcious / average 61 celcious - all while running Prime 95. CPU vcore bumped to 1.46.

I had been hitting these temps ( as high as 69 celcious) with no overclocking before on a Zalman mushroom shaped copper heat sink ( yes- with artic silver and proper installation). The Prescott are hot running cpus- water cooling appears to be the ticket.

Pretty amazing so far.

QUESTION PLEASE : On the pump there are 2 electrical lead connections:

1) The four pin power molex- which connects to the PSU for power

2)A smaller wire lead from the pump that appears to be a "fan type" connector- you know , just like the one you plug into the motherboard

Is the smaller fan plug supposed to be plugged into the mOther board to monitor ( and or - control) the pump speed???.

if it has 3 wires in the (small) plug (red.black.yel) or is it single wire to moniter speed only if 1 wire on the small plug.

a note whats your room temp? i'd burp more air out of system, check your rez level

The MB fan connector coming out of the water pump has only one (1) blue wire wire lead. So does this mean I can plug it onto my motherboard to monitor the pumps speed (rpm) ?

Thanks for advice on BURPING the air. I spent a good 1.5 hours last nite miving the case around ; removing the radiator and moving it around. I had the reservoir cap off - losts of air/bubbles came out. I added about another 1/2 bottle of water to the system as the bibbles came out. My system must have approximately 3.5 bottles of coolant ( the bottle that came with the system).

Right now the system is at 52 celcious. Keep in mind that I am running a 3.2 Intel P4 Prescott (notoriously hot running processor) ; overclocked to 4.0 ghz,; and Vcore bumped from 1.38 volts to 1.5345 volts. The cpu temp at boot-up was 48 celcious. Ran Prime 95 for 1 hours and max temp reached was 63 celcious for only a second- then stayed at about 61 celcious under this load.

I think that is great ! My previous air coolded temps were idling around 58 celcious and about 69- 71 celcious under Prime 95 loads. This BTW was at standard , not overclocked, settings. I am running a fairly aggressive overclock right now with the wc.

Am I doing good- or do you really think I am leaving some cooling performance on the table? Don't believe I have any, or very little, air the system.

Yes, connect the blue wired connector to the CPU fan connector on the mobo. Your CPU monitor will then display the Pump RPM. Your temps still seem a bit high. I'm OC'g a 540J (3.2)to 3.68 and my CPU temp is 41*C with both threads at 100%; Mobo is 31*C and room temp is 22*C. The air will still accumulate, so I'd wait a few days and then burp the system again. With the PC tilted front end high and the reservoir out and tipped out, you should be able to eliminate almost all the air. My systems (4) all have 1 bottle of the green fluid and 3 bottles of Distilled water in them.

Thanks- I hooked up the pump rpm wire to the MB and it registers the rpm.

Averaging about 50C without OC'g - outside temps about 23C.

Tried tilting the PC as you described and adding fluid last nite. I even ran the WC pump off a spare PSU and rotated the entire PC upside down, sideways, etc whilst running the pump. Estimate I have about 3.5 total bottles of coolant. Maybe more burping will get me up to 4 full bottles.

I dunno though- my prescott has always run very hot. This combined with Abit's apparent reputation for high temp readings ( some say as much as 10 C high).

Very pleased with this system so far- when running under load with Prime 95 the radiator really gets quite warm. Heat transfer at work.

I dunno though- my prescott has always run very hot. This combined with Abit's apparent reputation for high temp readings ( some say as much as 10 C high).

Which ABIT board to you have? On LGA775 boards make sure that the short arms of the bracket are over the side of the socket with the retention lever. If it is the other way around the block may not be making proper contact with the CPU. Even on an ABIT board the temps seem pretty high.

Just added a Panasonic high flow 120mm fan - to pull air from the radiator.

As I type am running Prime 95 torture test - OC'd to 4 ghz and vcore bumped from 1.38 to 1.54. Temps high at 59 C

This is good- going to try more burping or air.

Can you tell me what your mobo or case temp is ?? Your room at 23 and CPU at 50; I would guess your case temp will show about 39 or 40. If I'm close to that; I think your board is showing inflated and inaccurate temps. Case should be 29 or 30 or close to those temps.

Presently running Prime95 - standard settings ( not overclocked).

Room Temperature is 20 C

Reading per Mother Board Monitor (MBM5) :

Case Temp = 34C

CPU Temp = 49 C ( running Prime 95)

CPU Temp not running Prime 95 was about 44 C

What do you think- is my MB bios reading inflated temps? If so- what is your estimate of my temps given the scenario above?

Thanks - appreciate your feedback !!

Probably a 4 or 5 degree inflation. Your temps are well within a safe range, even when OC'd. Your P4 has an internal thermal safety and will shut down if it ever reaches about 85*C. and that would only happen if your pump failed. You'd probably see the CPU temp rising fairly quickly, and still have time to shut down manually. Is there an alarm or CPU threshold setting on MBM5? If so, set it at 65*C or so for the CPU.

I'm really impressed with the COOL kit. So much so, I'm being accused of being a 'schill' for Corsair, by my OC'g friends and relatives. As I said before, I'm running 4 OC'd PC's all with Cool Kits in them in a small room. After installing the kits, the room temps dropped from 29*C to 22*C. There was about 11*C average drop in the CPU temps and also a drop in the case temps. While there is still some fan noise from the 4 rad fans; it's nothing like the tornado sounds that existed previously. I will never go back to air/fan CPU cooling !

Burping again - as per your suggestion. Seeing more bubbles - will add fluid as necessary.

One mod that I've made is adding a 2nd fan (Panaflo NMB 120mm FAN-FBA12G12H1BX) pulling air out of the radiator. With the radiator sandwiched between the 2 fans I achieved about a 4-5 C drop in temps.

I can run the fan at full 12 volts (104 CFM) - which is effective but a bit loud. However, running at lower volts/speed seem to achieve nearly the same results ( with near silence).

Averaging about 44-45C at idle - without OC'g; High under Prime 95 was 50C. The temps just keep coming down! Will report temps with OC and Prime 95 for comparison - with new pulling fan.

This WC is neat stuff ! Best temps my system has ever - even OC'g my 3.2 to 4 GHZ with voltage bumps.

Archived