Corsair Community

H100i GTX Fans

Associated

Hello!

So... after a month of using H100i GTX I am slowly learning that stock Corsair fans are too loud, so I have some questions related to changing the fans...

Whats the wattage limit for the fans pluged into cooler?

Does cooler get all of the power just from one 3pin motherboard connector, or does it get some from USB 2.0 (CLink) too?

What fans would you recommend, higher RPM/Air flow if needed for benching... I am looking at EK-Furious Vardar (3000rpm, 5.64W), but I am not sure if it would work at 100% fan speed (too much power draw?)

Hello!

So... after a month of using H100i GTX I am slowly learning that stock Corsair fans are too loud, so I have some questions related to changing the fans...

Whats the wattage limit for the fans pluged into cooler?

Does cooler get all of the power just from one 3pin motherboard connector, or does it get some from USB 2.0 (CLink) too?

What fans would you recommend, higher RPM/Air flow if needed for benching... I am looking at EK-Furious Vardar (3000rpm, 5.64W), but I am not sure if it would work at 100% fan speed (too much power draw?)

Hi,

- The consumption of 2 fans + pump + electronics should not exceed the 1A standard which is given for the header of the MB. So generally, if You chose another fans You should not chose ones with higher power consumption than the corsair ones. BUT! You can solve this issue with a SATA to PWM splitter cable (You can get the 12V from the PSU and connect only the rpm and PWM control wires to the cooler, and it´s done). I´m using this solution and have 4x Noctua F12 (push+pull) on the radiator.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-CBFA06-30

- The cooler is using ONLY the power from the CPU header (throught the 3PIN connector). I have used here to power it also the splitter solution (power from PSU). This way the 12V feed is stabe and I don´t need to mess with the FAN controller options in the BIOS

- Higher airflow + some decent pressure (starting from 2mm H2O). Corsair fans has really high pressure, will be very hard to find something similar with low noise. I have chosen the Noctua F12 fans (PWM), in push pull these are silent enough (300-1500 rpm). The Vardars are really powerfull fans, just be sure that You would like to have the 42 dBA noise (free run) and don´t forget that the minimal PWM state of those fans is 40% (1200 rpm).

BR,

Peter

I have a similar question. I'm looking to brighten things up a bit with fans that has built-in LEDs for the chassi fans and the thought occurred to me that it might be possible to do the same with the H100i GTX fans. What should I keep in mind here? Is there any warranty issues that goes with changing the fans? I'm fairly new to building a computer and had a lot of help with building it so please explain as much as possible so I can learn :3!

Hi,

- The consumption of 2 fans + pump + electronics should not exceed the 1A standard which is given for the header of the MB. So generally, if You chose another fans You should not chose ones with higher power consumption than the corsair ones. BUT! You can solve this issue with a SATA to PWM splitter cable (You can get the 12V from the PSU and connect only the rpm and PWM control wires to the cooler, and it´s done). I´m using this solution and have 4x Noctua F12 (push+pull) on the radiator.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-CBFA06-30

- The cooler is using ONLY the power from the CPU header (throught the 3PIN connector). I have used here to power it also the splitter solution (power from PSU). This way the 12V feed is stabe and I don´t need to mess with the FAN controller options in the BIOS

- Higher airflow + some decent pressure (starting from 2mm H2O). Corsair fans has really high pressure, will be very hard to find something similar with low noise. I have chosen the Noctua F12 fans (PWM), in push pull these are silent enough (300-1500 rpm). The Vardars are really powerfull fans, just be sure that You would like to have the 42 dBA noise (free run) and don´t forget that the minimal PWM state of those fans is 40% (1200 rpm).

BR,

Peter

Thanks for the replay!

This Akasa fan splitter is really what I need! If I get it right you plug the sensor cable from the Akasa splitter to one of two fan connectors of H100i GTX, am I right (one stays empty?)? And I can do the same with the pump, right? Plug pump into Akasa fan splitter and plug the sensor on to MOBO?

And thank you for the Vardar info, I didn't know the minimum PWM is 40%!

If you are not happy with the noise SP120L's on now, the 3000 rpm Vardar isn't going to be better. There are no quiet fans at 2000+ rpm. Vardar is kind enough to publish their real sound pressure level in addition to the "chamber measured" 42dB. At 70dB on the start up fan test, everyone within 100ft will know you turned some kind of machinery on. The big bold print that says "no compromise" isn't just marketing rhetoric. Noise levels were not a consideration on that fan's design. I am not sure you need that level of fan speed anyway. You won't get 50% better cooling by going from 2000 to 3000 rpm on the fans. The relationship between fan speed and water temperature starts to get very flat as you approach 2000 rpm. There are minimal gains to be had up there, unless you have some extreme internal heat management to deal with. Maybe if you have 980 Ti in SLI, the increased exhaust may have benefits beyond just CPU and water temperature. Otherwise the F3 or F4 might be a better fit with similar airflow rates and less noise. And as pointed out above, the 1200 rpm minimum speed would be a deal breaker for most people. Are you on the edge of your comfort zone now with CPU temperatures?

Thanks for the replay!

This Akasa fan splitter is really what I need! If I get it right you plug the sensor cable from the Akasa splitter to one of two fan connectors of H100i GTX, am I right (one stays empty?)? And I can do the same with the pump, right? Plug pump into Akasa fan splitter and plug the sensor on to MOBO?

And thank you for the Vardar info, I didn't know the minimum PWM is 40%!

Hi,

Yes, You are right in both cases. If You use the splitter (s) You are not anymore limited by the power consumption of the fans (You don´t need to use the splitter to power the pump, I just don´t like to play with BIOS to set the pump as should be).

BR,

Peter

Hi,

Yes, You are right in both cases. If You use the splitter (s) You are not anymore limited by the power consumption of the fans (You don´t need to use the splitter to power the pump, I just don´t like to play with BIOS to set the pump as should be).

BR,

Peter

Thank you very much!!

@c-attack

Thanks, yeah I didn't noticed that Furious Vardar has PWM from 40-100%, that's really a deal breaker for me, well I'm looking for fans that are silent up to like 1500rpm, because these SP120L at 1500rpm are more noisy than GPU at 100%, full speed I don't care, I only use it for benching, and that's why I don't want to buy some 1500rpm fans, which would be good enough for daily usage, but when I would want that extra 1°c of cooling that I am able to do that. Do you maybe know any good fans that have extended PWM control and are 3000rpm? I was looking at F3 and F4 Vardars, but performance is the same if not lower in static pressure for Vardars, but they are quieter, well I have to do some more research...

Thanks again.

I have a similar question. I'm looking to brighten things up a bit with fans that has built-in LEDs for the chassi fans and the thought occurred to me that it might be possible to do the same with the H100i GTX fans. What should I keep in mind here? Is there any warranty issues that goes with changing the fans? I'm fairly new to building a computer and had a lot of help with building it so please explain as much as possible so I can learn :3!

You can switch out the fans on the GTX for something else. Changing the fans shouldn't affect your warranty, unless you of course you blow the fan controller with them. The newer GT/GTX units supposedly have beefed up controllers, but you are still better off trying to stay a tick below 1.0 amps for your fans. Most motherboard headers have a similar limitation.

In order for the fans to run through the pump controller, the fans need to be 4 pin PWM. There is a fairly small group of PWM LED fans. Corsair does not make any that are both. You can use 3 pin DC LED fans, but you will need to power them from a motherboard or fan controller. LINK will not be able to offer fan control in that set-up. Do keep an eye on the amp/wattage for high RPM LED 120mm fans. Many of them will draw 0.45A x 2, which is about the maximum I would want to risk on a combined header.

You can switch out the fans on the GTX for something else. Changing the fans shouldn't affect your warranty, unless you of course you blow the fan controller with them. The newer GT/GTX units supposedly have beefed up controllers, but you are still better off trying to stay a tick below 1.0 amps for your fans. Most motherboard headers have a similar limitation.

In order for the fans to run through the pump controller, the fans need to be 4 pin PWM. There is a fairly small group of PWM LED fans. Corsair does not make any that are both. You can use 3 pin DC LED fans, but you will need to power them from a motherboard or fan controller. LINK will not be able to offer fan control in that set-up. Do keep an eye on the amp/wattage for high RPM LED 120mm fans. Many of them will draw 0.45A x 2, which is about the maximum I would want to risk on a combined header.

So say that I use the BitFenix Spectre LED PWM fans, those would work in tandum with the Corsair Link software and the H100i GTX? As I said I'm not that experiensed with this stuff and I only found those through Google.

https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/spectre-led-pwm/

Archived