Corsair Community

Unusual H100i v2 issue

ElMeiser

I recently got a reburbished h100i v2 off newegg and sometimes when I wake the computer from sleep, the pump noise makes a loud mid octave grinding noise, so loud that I can hear it outside my h440 (~40 ish db.) A restart fixes the issue. Another minor issue is that at times, the thing will show up in corsair link (I never use it anymore), but the LED's and fan profiles won't change. Again, a restart fixes it. I've switched around USB headers and the issue still persists. The plugs are fully plugged in to their respective headers. and the USB headers work. The reason this differes is because most pump noise that ive come across from other people is minor clicking or some grinding, this is like a full on saw-blade almost.

Some had this same issue when the product first came out and while for most it was an issue with link (are you using the most current link?) it wasn't for all. Rarely but sometimes a 'lemon' will slip through a manufacturers screening. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case originally for your H100i and hence why it's a refurb. I'd honestly suggest requesting a return/replacement with newegg. I like refurb stuff myself but not always does the issue actually get fixed by retailers before being resold.

Ah ok, heres a video that more describes my situation that I filmed myself (the volume is really quiet). Ive noticed after like half a minute, the thing returns back to normal. The most current version of link is running. The refurb is apparently covered by corsair for 1 year which idk if that changes anything.

EDIT: Its not the fans either, despite what the video may convey, as I stopped them-self for a few seconds, and the noise persists, therefore concluding that it is the pump, for those in doubt.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2TFi-L89Pc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2TFi-L89Pc[/ame]

I am on that version too...Ive thought about it more and I wonder if thats what the pump sounds like when its maxed. However now its not detected in C-link, but is in device manager, so, would it be fine if I ditch the software entirely. And If its a dying pump, I wonder if the warranty covers an advanced RMA.

I was using an fx9590 cpu for about a year and kept the pump at 100% myself. It didn't sound like that normally. (that chip is amazing so long as you can keep it nice and cool lol.. soon as the radiator starts to get any blockage though it starts heating up. so I downgraded :( )

I would open a support ticket through the official Corsair site. (you will need a separate login/password). That thing sounds horrible and I don't have an explanation for the erratic behavior. Either way, grinding is never good and erratic is not an acceptable personality trait in a cooling system. While it might be possible to play around with different USB connections to get it to register in Link, it should not be changing gears all the time with or without it.

I might go ahead and submit the ticket now. Everyone is coming back from a long holiday and I imagine there is quite a backlog of things to answer. It may take almost a week to get a response and the ticket will stay open until your close it. You can continue to evaluate at your own pace, but if you need to make a change (RMA), you will have to go through that process anyway.

Archived