Corsair Community

Buzzing noise coming from Corsair h115i Platinum Pump

Hi, I've just bought a new custom built gaming PC with the Corsair h115i Platinum cooling system and I realized that it's making a buzzing noise that comes from the pump.

I'm pretty sure it's the pump because the noise comes from the motherboard around the CPU area and If I'm not mistaken CPU's don't make any noise.

It's like an electric noise and I just can hear it when I open my case side panel window and put my ear close to it. I don't think that it's coil whine as it sounds very different and it's strange but it seems that when the PC is under load the noise stops or it is nearly imperceptible.

Here's a video of the noise, it seems a lot louder in this video than in reality. I wonder if its something to worry about as the PC seems to work properly ,the temps are fine and as I said I can't hear it from the outside. If it's something to worry about I will claim the warranty to the shop that sold it to me.

Here' the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--PAamcZLMg6oN0HDWtcqlQPZJnI0qmR/view?usp=drivesdk

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

It seems like an electric noise because it is an electric pump. The "hum" is not something you can get rid of with a small electric motor turning 2000-3000 times per minute. If you have to open the door and put your ear near to hear it, then that is about right. More problematic when you can hear it over the fans, case closed, and from your seated position.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread now, but having experienced this myself earlier today I had to post what I found in case it helps someone else out!

I noticed that you have some kind of AORUS board, and for me, that was actually the issue.

Not because of the board though, it was the RGB Fusion software that you install to control the lights on the board itself.

I found that when I was booting up or sitting in the BIOS, it wouldn't make that weird metallic scratchy sound, but as soon as I hit the OS, there it was!

That's not to say the H115i is completely silent, there is a little noise coming from the pump (as well as the constant tone of the whirring pump) but the sound in OP's video becomes maddening after a few minutes. So for anyone in the same position. Try what I suggested and hopefully you'll have some peace and quiet! :)

• 2 months later...
I know this is an old thread now, but having experienced this myself earlier today I had to post what I found in case it helps someone else out!

I noticed that you have some kind of AORUS board, and for me, that was actually the issue.

Not because of the board though, it was the RGB Fusion software that you install to control the lights on the board itself.

I found that when I was booting up or sitting in the BIOS, it wouldn't make that weird metallic scratchy sound, but as soon as I hit the OS, there it was!

That's not to say the H115i is completely silent, there is a little noise coming from the pump (as well as the constant tone of the whirring pump) but the sound in OP's video becomes maddening after a few minutes. So for anyone in the same position. Try what I suggested and hopefully you'll have some peace and quiet! :)

You just saved my day ;)

I had the exact same issue, an annoying and (even outside of the case) clearly hearable, electric high frequency noise. It started a few seconds after booting Windows but was not noticable in BIOS. I have a MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi which comes with a similar software called "Dragon Center". It allows you to control RGB stuff as well and even overwrite settings of other RGB softwares, such as iCUE. I barely used it, however, after uninstalling it, the noise was gone.

So if anyone has a similar issue, I'd recommend you to go to your BIOS just to check if the noise is noticable there as well. If it isn't, it's more than likely caused by a software such as the RGB/fan control softwares that MSI/Aorus/Asus etc. offer for their boards. Uninstall those and the problem is solved.

• 6 months later...

I know this is old and sorry for the necro.

My wife have a MSI MPG Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI motherboard and she was experiencing this same whine on a brand new computer I made for her. She's using the Corsair Hydro H115i.

After removing dragon center the problem is gone. I'd like to add you can find the uninstaller under: C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\One Dragon Center.

Thanks for the help guys.