Corsair Community

Re-installing my H50 (thermal paste re-app?)

AK47

hey guys,

i've recently had to remove my H50 and CPU to replace a defective Mobo. I've only started my system up about a dozen times since building it and then discovered the mobo defect. Now i'm wondering what the next step is regarding cleaning/re-applying thermal paste onto my cooler and cpu. There still is significant amount of thermal paste on both. What do you reccommend? Should i simply place it back on the cpu? Clean off all the thermal paste from both and reapply? OR simply add on a little more paste and leave the existing paste on there?

Just to let you know the paste is still fresh on the cpu and cooler and not burnt or anything.

I'm new at this; what are the ramifications of too much paste? I would rather err on the side of caution-at least in my eyes-and have more paste on there as opposed to having too little.

any input is greatly appreciated.

AK47

This is really your judgement call. If it was my machine, I'd clean both the block and CPU thoroughly and apply new TIM. You want the optimum interface for best cooling. I personally still like Arctic Silver, either AS5 or Ceramique but there are also many other options. The AS website has good application instructions.

I would clean them off and reapply. I use AS Thermal Material remover and AS Thermal Surface Purifier to clean and prep for AS5 thermal paste. although AS5 takes about a week to cure it is really good, but I hear that MX-3 is better! Anyways if you're going to clean it make sure you use something that won't put lint all over your cpu/mobo, if you really can't find something lintless use toilet paper and make doubly sure that the mobo and cpu is lint free. use a compress air can to blow the lint away and then reapply the thermal paste. AS5 has a website that clearly shows how to apply AS5 on different types of processors for optimum performance. It's a good learning experience if you do it :D have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Had to change out my motherboard this weekend. Ended up going out and getting some 3M foam adhesive pads, found them both at a craft store and hardware store. The pads aren't as thick as the ones that came with the H50, so I ended up doubling up on them to give it more cushion.

I used some AS cleaning fluids on the CPU and H50 and used some MX-2 that I had when putting it back on. I think I might have used a little more than needed, but not by much, and my temps are no worse than my original install, so it worked out fine. The whole job wasn't a bigger pain than I thought it'd be, most likely because I didn't have to remount the radiator. I like the even pressure the ring applies to the pump when screwed down.

Archived