Corsair Community

New Twin2X4096-8500C5DF shuts down computer

A couple of weeks ago I bought 4GB of Dominator Twin2X4096-8500C5DF to upgrade from the 2 GB kt I was using (same dominator but the 2gb kit TWIN2X2048-8500C5D). The previous kit was running in my 680i A1 mobo at 1066, 2.1 volts using the EPP profile without any problems. I installed the new kit and it was working right for a couple of weeks. This time I decided to link and sync the memory fsb with the e8400 cpu so it was running at 445 MHz (the e8400 was running at 4.0 GHz with the proper adjudments of voltages for cpu, etc), and the voltage of the memory was 2.1v. Last weekend while I was burning a CD the computer suddenly shuted off, no warning, no bsod, nothing, just went off. After that the mobo was giving the "--" error which could mean a shorcircuit, so I dismantled the whole computer and reseated every single component and also I cleared the CMOS so the bios went to default configuration. Doing this make the computer to boot again (I set the 2.1 volt for memory and saved) but after a couple of minutes working shutted off again, and switching on makes to boot the computer again but swichts off after a few seconds. So I took out graphic cards, sound car, etc and left only cpu and ram. Same behaviour, then I tried with a single module in all the four slots and same problem. Finally I put one of the "old" 1GB modules and this time computer booted it up, and went into windows and everything was fine. Then I put the other 1gb module so I was back to my 2 GB configuration and the computer is working again without problems. Could be the ram faulty and causing this shut offs?? should I RMA then? Cheers:cool:

Well thank you for answering but I've been doing a few more test and I'm totally puzzled. I came back from work and decided to do a memtest to my 2GB kit to discard any hidden problem with another component. The ram passed a couple of rounds of the tests so then I putted it back both modules of the new 4 GB ram kit and passed again the memtest, and guess what :eek: The new kit also passed a couple of rounds of memtest which I think can discard a faulty ram. Now I'm guessing if it would not be a heat related problem, since here in Spain we are having high temperatures. I've got a very well ventilated case with several 12cm fans and a Tuniq Tower but the room temperature is a bit high anyway and you can not fight against that unlees you have air conditioned or go to water cooling. Thnak you again, i will be testing a bit more the whole thing and see what happens, cheers :cool:

Archived