Corsair Community

New Firmware update

1komail

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here: K70 RGB (FW 1.20 and CUE 1.5.108)

I am now able to spam caps scoll and num lock without the keyboard completely locking up :) Even Steam appears to be functioning correctly with CUE now!!!

While you can see the steps when the full rainbow effect is enabled, it is both smoother and less noticeable than it was previously (I have the 16.8 million color option enabled in the settings tab).

One bug I did find was: When enabling the type lighting by key and setting it to a random color, the whole keyboard does flicker slightly when a group of keys are pressed. (confirmed it was the 16.8 million color setting that is causing the flickering)

Gradient lighting doesn't seem very smooth. It still "steps" like it did before.

Having said that, I haven't done much with CUE while waiting for full colour range to be made available.

I find it's pretty smooth when you do something small scale, like having a single key go through the color spectrum. The flickering is pretty intense once you start getting a lot of lighting effects going on at once, though.

Ah, Corsair James' new post helped. Enabled 16.8 million colour mode in CUE (I thought it would just give the full colour range).

Gradients are now smoother, but not as smooth as I thought. There is some flickering.

Looks like the keyboard's CPU is struggling.

Although the gradients are smoother, and seem to be displaying the full colour range, there is a noticeable flicker. It's a bit like a graphics card struggling to keep up the frame rate. Looks like it's flickering at about 10hz.

Looks like the keyboard's CPU is struggling.

Although the gradients are smoother, and seem to be displaying the full colour range, there is a noticeable flicker. It's a bit like a graphics card struggling to keep up the frame rate. Looks like it's flickering at about 10hz.

=( I waited all this time, and I may still end up returning the keyboard. Any idea if the flickering will be addressed, or it's a permanent trade-off of using 16.8 million colors?

I guessed something like this might happen.

Maybe they can optimise the code, but I think a fundamental error has been made in the choice of hardware.

I bet the software guys are pretty cross with the hardware guys, and the marketing guys haven't got a clue. :D:

Beef up the CPU, and they'll have a great keyboard.

This really is a lovely keyboard in terms of the physical design and the materials used.

It's a bit of a let down that the electronics/software don't match the aesthetics. Corsair need to work on K70 RGB v2.0.

The question is, keep it, or return it until they get it right ?

They know about the flickering. Apparently the hardware isn't up to snuff.

Each of us see colors differently so you may or may not perceive a huge difference with 16.8 million color mode enabled. Visit our forums, load up a few profiles and see for yourself. Hopefully you like what you see. Similarly, some users may notice flicker in some combination of effects. While reducing flicker is possible, this would have impacted the keyboard response time. Performance is top priority at Corsair and we made the decision to keep the advance lighting options available despite some side effects. We hope you agree and if you find the flicker objectionable, you can revert to the original color mode for certain lighting profiles.

• Corsair Employee
There are going to be some cases where 16.8m color mode isn't optimal for certain lighting profiles due to the byproduct of flicker. This was why the box when checked/unchecked affects the lighting in real time so you all can decide what is best.

There are going to be some cases where 16.8m color mode isn't optimal for certain lighting profiles due to the byproduct of flicker. This was why the box when checked/unchecked affects the lighting in real time so you all can decide what is best.

Thanks for the giving us the choice.

Wouldn't it be better to admit that this product doesn't deliver what was claimed, and work on one that does ?

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the giving us the choice.

Wouldn't it be better to admit that this product doesn't deliver what was claimed, and work on one that does ?

The keyboard is capable of 16.8 million colors now. It isn't the perfect ideal solution as there is some flicker that occurs for certain types of animation on the keyboard. I won't convince you otherwise either but there is definitely improvement over what existed before.

However, I do want to speak honestly and say that there were ways to reduce the flicker. This would have, however, required us to cut down on the types of light customization you've all enjoyed since day 1 and we felt this would not have been acceptable whatsoever at all. I think for certain profiles like rainbow gradients look much better with all the colors available. Despite some of the side effects of this product, I still believe that in terms of customization, this keyboard delivers an amazing experience that can't be matched by our competitors and we still have more plans to come to go beyond what is offered today. I think as we get closer to releasing what we have planned, the issues with some of the color on this keyboard will be overlooked with the advance features we're going to implement.

Exactly what lighting effects cause the flickering so I can avoid using those?

The keyboard is capable of 16.8 million colors now. It isn't the perfect ideal solution as there is some flicker that occurs for certain types of animation on the keyboard. I won't convince you otherwise either but there is definitely improvement over what existed before.

However, I do want to speak honestly and say that there were ways to reduce the flicker. This would have, however, required us to cut down on the types of light customization you've all enjoyed since day 1 and we felt this would not have been acceptable whatsoever at all. I think for certain profiles like rainbow gradients look much better with all the colors available. Despite some of the side effects of this product, I still believe that in terms of customization, this keyboard delivers an amazing experience that can't be matched by our competitors and we still have more plans to come to go beyond what is offered today. I think as we get closer to releasing what we have planned, the issues with some of the color on this keyboard will be overlooked with the advance features we're going to implement.

I know I've ruffled a few feathers, but this is the way I see it.

The previous K70 non RGB keyboards were plagued by dead LEDs, caused by static, apparently.

About a year ago I got interested in mechanical keyboards. There's no way I'd have considered spending more than £30 ($45 ?) on a keyboard until I tapped a few keys on a C**l*rM*s*er" mechanical keyboard at a trade show. I was offered a deal on one, but decided to go home and do some research. After reading a few reviews, I was undecided. It seemed to me that the Corsair K70 with brown keys and red LEDs would be the one to go for, but I wanted white LEDs. I might have gone for red LEDs, but I read too many reports of LED failure. Then I read about your RGB keyboards, which not only offered 16.8 million colour animation, but also improved reliability due to surface mounted LEDs. So I waited.

About 6 months later the Kxx RGB keyboards were released, but I waited until stock was available. Would have preferred "the old logo", but decided it wasn't a big deal. Then I read the forum posts about the limited colour range, with a fix being available within a few weeks, so I spent more than I would normally do on a keyboard. Having shelled out the cash, I expected it to do what was claimed. I knew that I'd have to wait for a few weeks for the full colour range, but never thought it would take over 6 months. Earlier this year I contacted the retailer who were still advertising it with 16.8 million colour animation. They offered a full refund (including free collection). I decided to wait and see if the update would deliver the promised 16.8 million colours, which it has, but without the fluid animation. Not only that, I've got a couple of keys that have colour faults. Maybe that's just bad luck, there's always going to be the odd fault here and there.

I honestly want to like this keyboard, but there have been too many issues, and for £140, I just wanted to buy it and enjoy it for 5 - 10 years, not wait 6 months to find that the fix doesn't quite fix it.

I know I've ruffled a few feathers, but this is the way I see it.

The previous K70 non RGB keyboards were plagued by dead LEDs, caused by static, apparently.

About a year ago I got interested in mechanical keyboards. There's no way I'd have considered spending more than £30 ($45 ?) on a keyboard until I tapped a few keys on a C**l*rM*s*er" mechanical keyboard at a trade show. I was offered a deal on one, but decided to go home and do some research. After reading a few reviews, I was undecided. It seemed to me that the Corsair K70 with brown keys and red LEDs would be the one to go for, but I wanted white LEDs. I might have gone for red LEDs, but I read too many reports of LED failure. Then I read about your RGB keyboards, which not only offered 16.8 million colour animation, but also improved reliability due to surface mounted LEDs. So I waited.

About 6 months later the Kxx RGB keyboards were released, but I waited until stock was available. Would have preferred "the old logo", but decided it wasn't a big deal. Then I read the forum posts about the limited colour range, with a fix being available within a few weeks, so I spent more than I would normally do on a keyboard. Having shelled out the cash, I expected it to do what was claimed. I knew that I'd have to wait for a few weeks for the full colour range, but never thought it would take over 6 months. Earlier this year I contacted the retailer who were still advertising it with 16.8 million colour animation. They offered a full refund (including free collection). I decided to wait and see if the update would deliver the promised 16.8 million colours, which it has, but without the fluid animation. Not only that, I've got a couple of keys that have colour faults. Maybe that's just bad luck, there's always going to be the odd fault here and there.

I honestly want to like this keyboard, but there have been too many issues, and for £140, I just wanted to buy it and enjoy it for 5 - 10 years, not wait 6 months to find that the fix doesn't quite fix it.

I just wish I could get my hands on a no-compromises RGB mechanical keyboard.

Well.. I'm not sure there is much you can do to make most people overlook this. 16.8m colors and fluid transitions were probably the most important things you guys put out there. While you're trying to fix these things, the competition has caught up and they do have both 16.8m AND fluid transitions. Heck even GTA took advantage of one of your competitors RGB keyboard and did crazy stuff with the lightings in game (police lights flashing when the player is wanted etc). So... I'm not sure there is stuff you can do that 1) hasn't been already done and 2) outshines your competitors. I guess LUA scripting is what you're trying to say, but there aren't that many people out there that will take full advantage of it, and even if they do, fluid color animation is a bug issue. I am a programmer myself, and if you release LUA of course I'll tinker around with it, but it already feels like a waste of time.. The whole point of having LUA is to make it do crazy things, have the keyboard come to life by animation is a HUGE part of it. It won't be the same without having fluid animation .. :/ Such a shame. I love this keyboard, but it really seems a shame..

But anyway.. Thanks for the update guys ;) I just hope you guys learn from the mistakes made on this keyboard, and make the v2 much better.

Archived