The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 11:31 PM
Benzo Stanbury's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1031141
Benzo Stanbury Reputation: 10
Default Electrocution risk? Fire risk? Paranoia?

I have a TX 650 Enthusiast Series non-modular power supply which continues to function perfectly, even after 7 years of use. But one of the SATA power connectors is chipped. I have attached an image to show what the damage looks like. Is this a fire hazard or in any way dangerous? Or can I just cover it up with electrical tape and stop worrying about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken sata power connector.jpg (1.05 MB, 18 views)

Old 01-13-2020, 01:14 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1031148
DevBiker Reputation: 94

While it'd probably be OK if you just taped it, why risk it?

Look at it as a simple cost equation ... new PSU vs new system (if it's not OK). That should be no-brainer math. Never take risks with the PSU.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
HydroX FAQ | RGB Cables |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Old 01-13-2020, 04:26 PM
Benzo Stanbury's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1031231
Benzo Stanbury Reputation: 10

I should probably have clarified that I incidentally noticed this chipped power connector while tidying up the cables and swapping video cards. I have no idea how long this power connector was indeed chipped, and it may very well have been damaged for quite some time.

Nevertheless, this PSU has been flawless for over 7 years, so I really don't want to scrap a PSU that has proven its reliability... unless the exposed teeth under the missing plastic is indeed a fire hazard. After all these years, I don't believe that this PSU could possibly fail as a whole and fry my computer.

I'm simply concerned about whether the exposed teeth on this power connector is conducting electricity that could shock or start a fire, despite not being plugged into any component.

So if electricity is only conducted through power connectors when they are actually plugged into components (such as a hard drive or DVD rom), then I can simply leave this power connector unplugged and not worry about it... and save myself from having to buy a brand new PSU, which in my experience sometimes fail after a couple weeks.