Corsair Community

Crystal Series 680X intake and exhaust fans

Jamesd

I have recently purchased a Crystal Series 680X I have the three fans on the front as intake and the 120mm rear and my H100i on the top as exhausts. I have another two LL120 fans for the bottom of the case but I can't decide if they should be intake or exhaust. I would prefer to have them as exhaust so you can see the full lighting effects on them but then I would have 3 intake fans and 5 exhaust. Is that enough inlet of all those exhaust or should I balance it out a bit?

The above is the best for total case airflow. However, if you are not going to loose sleep over failing to the run the most optimal orientation, flip them to exhaust and set them to the lowest possible speed (580-600 rpm). Use your rear and top exhaust to do the bulk of the work. This makes you just like every other tower case out there with no bottom fans. Instead, you get a couple of pretty light rings to illuminate the bottom. I loved my 740 set up this way, but unfortunately adding a radiator there changes the equation a bit.

i would configure those bottom fans as intake.

The above is the best for total case airflow. However, if you are not going to loose sleep over failing to the run the most optimal orientation, flip them to exhaust and set them to the lowest possible speed (580-600 rpm). Use your rear and top exhaust to do the bulk of the work. This makes you just like every other tower case out there with no bottom fans. Instead, you get a couple of pretty light rings to illuminate the bottom. I loved my 740 set up this way, but unfortunately adding a radiator there changes the equation a bit.

Yeah I thought setting them as intake might be the best option for air flow just seems a shame to hide the RGB on the fans though. I think I will set them as intake though as I have RGB strips aswell as the fans. Also is the top exhaust fans the best place for the H100i or is there another location that would be better?

It depends on how much GPU heat your produce and how close to the limit you are on the CPU. Long GPU loads make a lot of heat and will warm up the back end of the case. Usually you can see this in the coolant temp on a top radiator. However, in my experience on the internally identical 740, it was never more than 1-2C even in SLI. Front mounting is behind the RGB LL120s would give you cooler intake air on the radiator and it is generally 2-3C cooler on the front rail than the top of the case. It fits better up top, less likely to cause a GPU collision. I think specifically for this case, you only front mount if it will bother you to know you are 2-3C warmer on the CPU.

Here's what I did in the same case. I'm sure it's not optimal airflow, but the cpu (5 3600x) stays around 50 and gpu (rtx 2070) around 70 during gaming so it's fine. 3 in front as intake of course. 2 120 LL as intake in the top pushing through a 100i radiator mounted below (I used the MLs in a different computer). 1 140 LL in the rear as exhaust. 2 140 LL in the bottom as exhaust. My case sits on the floor so you get optimal ring bling. Plus, it helps keep my feet warm.

I didn't do any adjustments to fan speeds, they're all set to quiet. The top fan speeds are controlled by the cooler, the rest into a CoPro. And it is quiet, my external hard drive is the loudest part of my system at idle even with 8 fans. Under load the video card fans run around 75% to keep it around 70C. So, I have a lot more cooling I could be doing even despite the less than optimal configuration and the temps are fine the way it is.

Edited by slogan19