Corsair Community

Additional HD space in Corsair One i180?

There are a total of 3 M.2 slots on the i180/i182. The original SSD is on the top back side of the motherboard. There is an easily accessible M.2 slot on the front side of the motherboard next to the CPU. The third slot is harder to access and is on the back lower side of the motherboard. You will need to remove the graphics card to access it. Also nothing stopping you from replacing the internal HDD with a high capacity SATA SSD.

I have done all of the above operations on my machine without issue. Only thing to be aware is to consider thermals for M.2 drives since the airflow on back side M.2 slots is not ideal I would try to opt for drives that are relatively efficient.

• Thanks 1

I wasn't able to find good detailed teardowns of the i180/i182. I attached a low-res photo showing the front M.2 slot already populated (it seems on that particular review unit, the original drive was installed on the front of the motherboard). In my i182 units, the original drive was put on the back of the motherboard, leaving the easily accessible front slot available for upgrade. I don't know what your system will look like. Maybe the i180s all have the drives installed on the front?

attachment.php?attachmentid=37185&d=1577985125

If your i180 has the front M.2 daughterboard on the left side of the CPU unpopulated, that would be the easiest one to access. The risk to screw things up on this slot is very low. Just pop it off like if it were a RAM stick, slot the new drive into it, screw the SSD down, and push the daughterboard back into the slot.

The SATA HDD -> SSD conversion on the i180 is the same as for the i16x series and so the online photos should be just as good for that. This is also a very low risk operation.

If you're not experienced in tinkering with tight SFF PCs, I wouldn't attempt removing the graphics card to access the 3rd slot. It's pretty tight and therefore the risk is a little higher.

MqEPYtMDKcekLhFNEwaDkh-970-80.jpg.dfa7acf010f3749649a2801c4e09a356.jpg

• Thanks 1

The motherboard inside the i180/i182 is an ASRock X299E-ITX/ac (a modified/custom verison of that motherboard. Known differneces between the retail motherboard and the one inside the Corsair One i180/i182 is the USB 3.0 header orientation is changed so that the radiator can fit with a USB3 internal cable attached. Otherwise the cable would have protruded far too high above when populated).

As Jake had stated the motherboard should have a total of x3 M.2 SSD slots (one on a riser card on the front and two on the rear of the motherboard, inaccessible without removing the GPU). The front M.2 slot can be removed quite easily due to it being designed like a vertical RAM SODIMM slot. Removing the riser card is the same process as removing a RAM stick.

There is only room for one 2.5" Drive and it's populated with a HDD as standard.

The manual for this motherboard is available on ASRock's website.

ASRock X299E-ITX/ac manual link

asrock_x299e_itx_ac_7.jpgasrock_x299e_itx_ac_6.jpgASRock-X99E-ITX-ac-pictured-13.jpg
Edited by Sashby
  • Confused 1

• 4 months later...

Hi sorry to bump an old thread. I’ve finally gotten around to replacing the HDD with an SSD. I managed to put in the m2 with no problems so thanks for the tips. The HDD is in a different place to the Corsair One however, and there seems to be no release lever. It seems to be screwed in and the screws are so tight I feel like I’m going to thread them so I really can’t see how to release the HDD? Am I being dumb?

Here’s a photo

https://imgur.com/a/qHOK5pe

qHOK5pe

Edit

Ok I’ve found a video that says which screws to undo but they are stuck fast?!

Ok I’ve got the drive tray out just need to try and get the 4 hd screws out. Whoever screwed these in was taking the biscuit

Managed to do it and all seems to be working fine after I got the screws out. Thanks everyone.

Edited by mattisaac
  • Like 1

• Corsair Employee

Hey there, mattisaac,

Sorry to hear about the trouble the screws, as you experienced, they really get them tight so that there isn't a chance for the screws to come loose during shipping. Also why we don't use a release lever, just in case.

• 3 months later...

mattisaac,

I am now at the same place you are with my i180. I am curious if the front m2 slot was available and did you ave any issues with the screws mounting the HDD?

Thanks

Hi sorry to bump an old thread. I’ve finally gotten around to replacing the HDD with an SSD. I managed to put in the m2 with no problems so thanks for the tips. The HDD is in a different place to the Corsair One however, and there seems to be no release lever. It seems to be screwed in and the screws are so tight I feel like I’m going to thread them so I really can’t see how to release the HDD? Am I being dumb?

Here’s a photo

https://imgur.com/a/qHOK5pe

qHOK5pe

Edit

Ok I’ve found a video that says which screws to undo but they are stuck fast?!

Ok I’ve got the drive tray out just need to try and get the 4 hd screws out. Whoever screwed these in was taking the biscuit

Managed to do it and all seems to be working fine after I got the screws out. Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Hi there, sorry for the late reply. I did manage to add an M2 and swap the HDD for an SSD. There is an M2 that is very easily accessed by the ram. If you load that imgur link you can see it just top right of the image, it's the one with a blue sticker on it. You'll need to buy a harddrive screw to install it.
  • Like 1