Corsair Community

vx550w and video card problem

ShadE87

I've just assembled my new computer and i've stumbled upon a problem just right after windows boots up: nVIDIA Sentinel appears and tells me my video card is not receiving sufficient power, so it has to lower all the frequencies in order to proper function. I've checked the PCI-e connector to see if it's properly fitted, even switched the 2 connectors, reseated my video card, disconnected some fans and pulled out a PCI card (a tv-tuner), but all of these to no avail. The same message keeps coming up at every windows boot. I've tried the latest drivers for my video card, even upgraded the BIOS to both my mobo and video.

P.S.: I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 edition.

What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance.

You know...this crap has two sides: that nvidia sentinel message, after which if you try to run a benchmark or something video consuming you'll get a BSOD error or a freezing computer with artifacts, or no nvidia sentinel message but very poor performances in benchmarks and games. Did those guys on vista tested their gt's ? I'll be curious to know that...

Furthermore, i've read a lot of posts and most of them had their rig working with another psu, but most of the problems were on an ANTEC psu, not Corsair...

• Corsair Employee
Its unlikely that the PSU is not giving sufficient power, especially when removing components. I'd test a different video card in your system or test the PSU in a different system to be sure. If you end up wanting to replace the unit, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. However, as EliteKiller explained, it is more likely a software/driver conflict.

You know...this crap has two sides: that nvidia sentinel message, after which if you try to run a benchmark or something video consuming you'll get a BSOD error or a freezing computer with artifacts, or no nvidia sentinel message but very poor performances in benchmarks and games. Did those guys on vista tested their gt's ? I'll be curious to know that...

Have you tested your new rig for stability?

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1901991&enterthread=y

Furthermore, i've read a lot of posts and most of them had their rig working with another psu, but most of the problems were on an ANTEC psu, not Corsair...

FWIW I have an 8800GT + Corsair psu + XP Pro SP2 and have never encountered the sentinel message. Other food for thought is that both Antec and Corsair use the same OEM for some of their psu's. However your VX550 is built by CWT (Channel Well Technology) and has more than enough power for SLI 8800GT's.

Does it have something to do with the fact that the motherboard has a standard PCI-e, not 2.0 like the video card can support? I've read it can normally work under PCI-e 1.0, so i really don't think this could mean trouble, but... Is there a bios option for that?

Later EDIT: I've managed to shut down nVidia Sentinel from services.msc and now i don't get that message anymore. I've ran some benchmarks and everything seems to be allright. No important heat increase and no instability issues. But I still have some doubts...would it be possible that this extreme measure of mine could compromise the video card or the life span of it? I mean, if it hadn't enough power, why work fine until video stressing applications?

Archived