Corsair Community

Please confirm default SPD speed on CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7 for Macbook Pro mid-2009

anthonyv

I've scoured the net and these forums, and I think I've narrowed down the problem:

hardware: Apple Macbook Pro 15", mid-2009, 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo

RAM: 2 x 2GB = 4GB 1066MHz, trying to upgrade to stated maximum of 2 x 4GB = 8GB

I tried putting 1333MHz modules in, expecting them to be downrated to 1066MHz like most systems do. It turns out, though, that the chipset in these machines (NVidia MCP79) reads the default SPD and blindly tries to run the bus at that speed. (source) I get the dreaded 3-beep boot failure.

I want to purchase Corsair's CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7 Mac memory kit, which is rated for 1066MHz, but when I examine the specifications in detail, it appears that the default SPD speed is 1333MHz? I'm not sure if it's a typo, but if not it may explain why so many members on this forum have experienced issues similar to mine. If I could ask someone to confirm the default SPD speed is set at 1066MHz and not 1333MHz, then it would save me purchasing then RMA'ing needlessly and I would be tremendously thankful.

I hope that's sufficiently clear, and I look forward to purchasing more Corsair memory. Thanks!

..anthony

I got concerned when I saw, on the package, "Compatible with MacBook/MacBook Pro Mid-2010, Early-2011, Late-2011", with no mention of early MacBook Pros like mine. (the "MacBookPro5,4", btw) I'm writing this from a freshly-upgraded to 8GB machine, so I can't vouch for its longevity, but I can report that "it works!"

I'm speculating, given all the online reports, that the initial batches of the CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7 modules were set to a default SPD speed of 1333MHz, but were corrected to 1066MHz later, since newer reports are positive. Add me to the latter.

Thanks for your help!

..anthony

Archived