Corsair Community

H100i Platinum RGB Low Fan RPMs

Cyruskain

Hi all,

First time poster to Corsair forums. I recently purchased and installed an H100i Platinum AIO. This would be my first time using an AIO as I'm coming from a Noctua DH-15 (I went with a smaller case for this build, so I had to give up the Noctua).

Everything seems ok except for the fan speeds. No matter what setting they're on, quiet, balanced, or extreme, they idle in the 300 RPM area. I took a screenshot. I've checked my cabling, and everything appears to be fine. The RGB lighting syncs just fine, they are at the very least spinning...I'm just not sure why they aren't ramping up when I've researched that they should auto-RPM a set number based on the setting.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the fans aren't spinning up?

Low_Speed.thumb.JPG.71d205f559ddb5d88b9147ce73f29046.JPG

• Corsair Employee

Hello,

What happens if you close iCue out completely? If they return back to normal, I would make sure you're running the latest version of iCue. If you're on the latest, run a repair of the installation. Easiest way to perform this is by re-running the iCue installer package.

Hello,

What happens if you close iCue out completely? If they return back to normal, I would make sure you're running the latest version of iCue. If you're on the latest, run a repair of the installation. Easiest way to perform this is by re-running the iCue installer package.

Hi Corsair Jam,

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of iCue software to try and be thorough. It did not fix the problem. My fans, even when set to extreme, still show in the 300 RPM range. The pump still reacts accordingly based on the change.

Any other ideas?

Is it possible you are using a SATA splitter or your PSU has a low Wattage? Try switching SATA cables in the back panel if you have a spare.

Hi Silencr4k,

I push about 500-600W on average according to my Kill-a-Watt Hour. I have a Seasonic Focus 850 Gold, so PSU is fine.

I can try switching a SATA cable. I will post how that works out.

Hi Silencr4k,

I push about 500-600W on average according to my Kill-a-Watt Hour. I have a Seasonic Focus 850 Gold, so PSU is fine.

I can try switching a SATA cable. I will post how that works out.

Silencr4k,

I swapped the SATA cable out, but it did not fix the problem. I'm still showing 350ish RPM on both fans under any load. While I was digging around in there, I reconfirmed that my cabling is fine. I unplugged and re-plugged the cables back in.

I'm running out of ideas other than having to purchase a commander pro, hooking the fans to the commander directly vs. connecting them to the pump, and then manually controlling them. But I shouldn't have to do that. The fans should be ramping up via iCue.

I'm still uncertain if the fans are actually going 300 RPM or if the software is only reporting them going 300RPM. They are utterly silent right now, but the ML120s typically are even at higher speeds.

Any further ideas?

300 rpm is below the minimum it should run and likely below the minimum setting on the Quiet preset as well. The pump certainly getting full power, so I don’t think the SATA or PSU is responsible. Try two things:

1) In the performance tab for the cooler, click the + to create a new “cooling mode”. This is your custom curve. At the bottom will appear some controls, including a fixed rpm and % option. Check either and set it to 1000 rpm, 50%, 100%, etc to see if it results in some change.

2) If this does not work, do you have any other 4 pin PWM fans lying around? You don’t need to unmoving anything, just slip one of the fan power connections off and attach it to another fan in your hand. Is it also non-responsive? This would be a strange circumstance, but I am running out of other causes besides a broken internal fan controller. It will also give you a chance to unplug and replay the fan power connectors. Every now and then the connection just isn’t right and redoing or swapping the two creates improvements.

300 rpm is below the minimum it should run and likely below the minimum setting on the Quiet preset as well. The pump certainly getting full power, so I don’t think the SATA or PSU is responsible. Try two things:

1) In the performance tab for the cooler, click the + to create a new “cooling mode”. This is your custom curve. At the bottom will appear some controls, including a fixed rpm and % option. Check either and set it to 1000 rpm, 50%, 100%, etc to see if it results in some change.

2) If this does not work, do you have any other 4 pin PWM fans lying around? You don’t need to unmoving anything, just slip one of the fan power connections off and attach it to another fan in your hand. Is it also non-responsive? This would be a strange circumstance, but I am running out of other causes besides a broken internal fan controller. It will also give you a chance to unplug and replay the fan power connectors. Every now and then the connection just isn’t right and redoing or swapping the two creates improvements.

Hi c-attack,

I attempted to create a custom fixed RPM at 1,000 RPM. This did not work. I attached a screenshot (just in case perhaps I did it incorrectly).

I unfortunately don't have any spare 4 pin PWM fans.

Edit: Question. Are the AIO fans supposed to be visible in the BIOS? Cause right now they are not. My 4 other ML120s which I have connected to my node pro are (and they are all configurable). My CPU pump shows in the BIOS and is also configurable. But the two fans mounted to the radiator and connected to my AIO are not. These two ML120s are not directly connected to my node pro, and they are not connected to any fan pins on the motherboard. They are connected via the connectors from the pump to the fans, both power and RGB.

Custom.thumb.JPG.763a8b921e0587a5849afb95df58bda3.JPG

Edit: Question. Are the AIO fans supposed to be visible in the BIOS?...But the two fans mounted to the radiator and connected to my AIO are not.....They are connected via the connectors from the pump to the fans, both power and RGB.

No, they should not be visible in the BIOS. The BIOS only sees the pump and cannot read the internal fan controller on the Platinum. Most current AIOs work this way. Yes, connecting the fans to that internal fan controller and lighting controller (Platinum series only) is the right way to do it. Unfortunately, I think that is where things have gone wrong.

My CPU pump shows in the BIOS and is also configurable.

It's not really configurable. You can give instructions, but the cooler will ignore them. You can only change pump and fan speeds through the Corsair software. Since the cooler is SATA powered, this has no adverse effects, but on motherboard powered coolers, this is a big no-no. Generally, it is better to leave the motherboard header connected to the "dummy" lead set to 100%/disabled/Full Speed or however your board describes locked at maximum. It should have no effect on anything, although some of my Asus boards will momentarily hang when running the fan tuner, searching for a connection that isn't there.

Unfortunately, I think you have a bad fan controller on the H100i Platinum and I would contact Corsair through the ticket support system in the menu above OR return it to the vendor if you are still in that window. I don't see any other reasonable explanations and this seems to affect both fans equally, ruling out specific fan issues. If you go through Corsair, explicitly state this a brand new cooler. You will need to upload the purchase invoice, but make it clear. They should take care of this and preferably do the "Advance RMA" if you can. This is the usual credit card hold for new product, they ship it, you return defective one, credit card hold cancelled. That will keep you running in the meantime.

In the meantime, there are two things you can do. 1) Reinstall iCUE. I know you said you already did this, however this will take a lot less time than uninstalling the cooler and mailing it back. Do it through the normal Windows apps uninstaller, check the box that will "delete all your settings" (have to assume profiles are corrupted if this is the fix), restart the PC when finished, install current iCUE version, restart the machine again. See if you have fan control now with a new fixed RPM or %.

2) If the above fails, move the fan power connectors only to the motherboard. They can be on a splitter and go to any spare fan control header. In the BIOS, set an appropriate curve. You most likely will have to use CPU temperature. Not how the cooler is suppose to work, but this will knock about 15C off your temps when under load. I don't see this as a permanent solution, just a temporary measure.

2) If the above fails, move the fan power connectors only to the motherboard. They can be on a splitter and go to any spare fan control header. In the BIOS, set an appropriate curve. You most likely will have to use CPU temperature. Not how the cooler is suppose to work, but this will knock about 15C off your temps when under load. I don't see this as a permanent solution, just a temporary measure.

Ok, thanks for the help and advice. I'll see about contacting Corsair in the meantime as I'm out of range of Newegg's return for this item.

I'll attach the power connectors to open fan connectors on my mobo. I have plenty of open ones. And, as you suggested, I'll attach a curve in the mobo.

Still, if anyone (corsair Employee maybe?) has any other ideas for me to try, I'd appreciate it. I'll let this sit for a few days just in case then open a ticket with Corsair advanced RMA.

Archived