The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software > Motherboard Integration

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 03:26 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 1036610
Corsair James Reputation: 75
Default iCUE ARGB and Third Party DRAM Lighting Support

Hi everyone,

I am noticing a number of posts asking about ARGB support on ASUS motherboards. The current implementation is strictly to support the lighting on a compatible ASUS motherboard only, and by extension, the RGB header since it is treated as a single zone. The design and intent was always to include the motherboard into our ecosystem with other Corsair products so we can address the demand of everything in the system lighting simultaneously in the same color. I am happy to see the overall positive feedback from this feature, and we are continuing our work to see how we can extend this feature to other products.

However, there will be certain limitations to what we will do. First, we have no plans to support ARGB headers. While many third party products are compatible with ARGB, we first and foremost are in the interest of only allowing iCUE to control Corsair products. ARGB also brings another layer of complexity to iCUE as we would have to take into consideration how to display the sheer number of LED configurations possible into our UI, and this is something we have no plans to accomodate at this time.

Second, I see some of you are asking about support for non-Corsair DRAM. This is also something we have no plans to do. We are always open to new partnerships though and if these businesses would like to approach us about implementing their products into iCUE, we would definitely explore possibilities. But unless they do so of their own initiative, we don't plan on having an open ecosystem. As this is a partnership with ASUS, users who want to maintain their lighting with Aura Sync compatible products should continue to use Aura Sync or Armoury Crate. iCUE is not meant to be a replacement software for them and we want to respect their ecosystem just like they respect ours.

I hope this addresses some of the concerns and questions I am seeing in this forum.

Thanks,
James

iCUE - A CORSAIR Interface
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue
Old 03-03-2020, 04:59 PM
Ch3vr0n's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036694
Ch3vr0n Reputation: 10

1st!

That said, what future plans are there for the asus plugin? GPU control? My current GPU asus software is called "AURA RGB Lighting Control for Graphic card & XG-STATION" for a maximus XI formula, and hasn't been updated in AGES. The GPU itself is an Asus GTX 1080A

As to the header, are there ARGB strips compatible with the RGB header you're talking about, on my MB. Available in the EU? As to the ARGB header, maybe release a corsaird branded ARGB strip, which can then be controlled through icue (perhaps requiring a usb connection of some sort to have iCue recognise it's a corsair ARGB strip.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:59 AM

POST ID # = 1036769
olavinto Reputation: 10
Default GPU support

GPU support would be nice to have also. I also have an ASUS GPU and its lighting much more prominent than my motherboards (no RGB headers in use).
Old 03-05-2020, 02:14 PM

POST ID # = 1036926
terfredr Reputation: 10

Temperatures zones - will they work on Prime TRX40-Pro
Old 03-09-2020, 10:58 AM
zico-bear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1037279
zico-bear Reputation: 10

James,
oh,James..

What I was most expecting of corsair was an update that could use ARGB.
oh my god!
Old 03-21-2020, 02:30 PM

POST ID # = 1038422
Viper4060 Reputation: 10

The main issue is not that you don't allow ARGB is that the plugin takes over Aura completely so you can't use the addressable header(s) at all. All other software can't control the addressable RGB headers as long as the iCue plugin is used.

This is why so many people are crying for Corsair to add addressable support.

Thus you are ruining Asus's own support of their addressable header(s).

Corsair in my opinion needs to do what is right for the PC community, you are only dividing yourself when you are trying to unify.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:09 AM
Zatarot's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1038478
Zatarot Reputation: 10

This stops so short that this implementation/solution helps no one except those who purely own corsair products even if that product is non competing e.g. a RGB strip. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:55 PM
bgrater7's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1041385
bgrater7 Reputation: 10

James, thanks for addressing this matter.. ;) Also, really happy with the decision to add motherboard support to iCUE.

I understand Corsair's position on this, not wanting to undermine their proprietary RGB platform. However, I did want to share some feedback that I feel Corsair is actually being a bit short-sighted here.

Fact is, people get addressable RGB connections on their motherboards and will use them one way or another. RGB technology is still quite fragmented and there is a real desire for a single lighting eco-system which will "just work". By having no ARGB support in iCUE I think you are passing up on that opportunity which I expect a competitor or open-source solution will eventually take.

My suggestion would be to offer at least "basic" support of mobo ARGB headers. For example, choose number of LEDs and treat a whole ARGB header as single zone (like your non-addressable RGB header implementation). That way people can setup all their lighting no-fuss using your software, knowing that Corsair products offer the best iCUE experience™ when making future purchasing decisions.

Anyway, just my thoughts..
Old 05-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Schumami's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1046623
Schumami Reputation: 10

Hey James,
I have to agree with bgrater7,
for example, I have a CPU cooler from alphacool, which only deliver a ARGB connection.
So I have two opportunities.
1. let the CPU cooler dark
2. connect it to the ARGB Header of my ASUS Motherboard and live with the fact, that it will never be synchronized with the rest of my stuff.

I'm super happy, how far the ICUE software goes.
But I'm very disappointed, that i can sync all my stuff, expect of the CPU cooler.

So my wish would be the same as bgrater's.
As i don't need to have every single LED controlled, it would be enough just to use the ARBG as one lightning area. Just as the "normal" RGB Headers.