Corsair Community

HD120 RGB Hub Died?

clarke

I have had a 3 pack of the HD120 RGB fans for about 8 months and have been using them with the default controller. About a month ago the fans light patter would seem to reset to its "cycle through everything" pattern after having been set to a specific pattern. Today though, I am unable to get them to illuminate at all. I checked all the wires and saw no damage and tried different power ports for the hub, etc. I am assuming now that the hub died for some reason after 7 months of flawless performance.

Has anyone else had this issue?

dont know if this is the appropriate thread for this but I was needing some help with my 5 hd120's. I have the wires that are supposed to go to the hub hooked up fine but do the other 5 wires need to go to "ch fan" headers on my mobo to move? Reason I'm asking is because I have 5 fans and only 3 "ch fan" headers on my mobo. The fans move when I have them hooked up directly to the mobo but I'm still short 2 "ch fan" headers to get all them moving. Am I missing something? I have an Asus m5A99x mobo and a thermaltake g21 case if that helps.

dont know if this is the appropriate thread for this but I was needing some help with my 5 hd120's. I have the wires that are supposed to go to the hub hooked up fine but do the other 5 wires need to go to "ch fan" headers on my mobo to move? Reason I'm asking is because I have 5 fans and only 3 "ch fan" headers on my mobo. The fans move when I have them hooked up directly to the mobo but I'm still short 2 "ch fan" headers to get all them moving. Am I missing something? I have an Asus m5A99x mobo and a thermaltake g21 case if that helps.

Would have been better to start a new thread actually, since this is technically thread hijacking. ;)

For the LEDs, the hub is used. For the fan airflow, you can -technically- use any free fan headers on the motherboard that can do PWM, but most motherboards will not have enough, so at that point you should get two-way splitters if you have enough PWM headers (at least three) or (more optimally) a passive PWM hub, or a fan controller like a Corsair Commander Pro.

Two-way splitters will give both fans the "same speed" but only read the speed off one of them. However it will also put higher strain on the motherboard's power supply capability. They are often the least expensive option as well.

A PWM hub is medium in price though it can be inexpensive if a lot of splitters are involved and it will take external power so as to not stress the motherboard, and can handle many, many more fans as a result, however it runs all of them at the same speed and only senses the speed of one of them.

A fan controller knows the speed of every fan and controls them all individually. It requires a USB connection to the motherboard and its own power connection, as well as software to run. It's the most granular control, but also the most expensive.

Archived