Corsair Community

Default Memory Speed - Asus P9X79 Deluxe - CMP32GX3M4X1600C10

jcb3

Hi, i am curious why the bios sets this memory at 1333 instead of 1600 for the "default". I am running the latest bios (3/27/2012) with an i7 3930K running at rated 3200MHz. Do not think it makes any difference but I also have 64GB (two kits) but they both are from the same batch. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Because default for your CPU is 1333mhz. 1600mhz is an overclock and must be set with XMP in your BIOS

No, up to 1600MHz RAM is a stock speed for i7-3930K.

http://ark.intel.com/products/63697

However, a lot of the X79 MBs do seem to have issues getting high capacity/speed RAM to work properly. Likely it is either a stability/BIOS issue with the MBs or a lack of matched 8 DIMM sets.

Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post

Because default for your CPU is 1333mhz. 1600mhz is an overclock and must be set with XMP in your BIOS

No, up to 1600MHz RAM is a stock speed for i7-3930K

No, there is a difference between default speeds and "supported".

Yes the new CPU's support 1600mhz memory but they still default to 1333mhz. And even though 1600mhz is supported it is still considered an overclock.

Yes the new CPU's support 1600mhz memory but they still default to 1333mhz. And even though 1600mhz is supported it is still considered an overclock.

I guess this explains why my ASUS Crosshair V Formula (BIOS: 1402 04/19/2012), with AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black processor, defaults to 1333 MHz instead of 1600 MHz for my CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 kit. I know this kit is not listed for my MB, but it is working fine so far. I'm looking to upgrade to Dominator Platinum when they become available (Any clue on this yet? Saw that colored lights will be out 09/2012.)

Reading from prior post above: By running at 1600 MHz instead of 1333 MHz, am I going to burn the modules out earlier or is it a mote issue?

I guess this explains why my ASUS Crosshair V Formula (BIOS: 1402 04/19/2012), with AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black processor, defaults to 1333 MHz instead of 1600 MHz for my CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 kit.

Yuppers, and it's really not the RAm that is setting itself to 1333mhz it's the MB . In fact most MB do this to make sure you have a successful boot before making any changes to the BIOS.

Reading from prior post above: By running at 1600 MHz instead of 1333 MHz, am I going to burn the modules out earlier or is it a mote issue
?

As long as your CPU temps are good no need to worry. The modules will take up to 2.0v before you would have to worry about damage.

Hmm, a technicality then, I suppose. My apologies.

Still, not something I would really consider an "overclock," when the RAM, CPU, and MB specs specifically say they work fine with it within normal thresholds. Maybe an "upclock." ;):

• Corsair Employee

From ASUS Product page:

Chipset Intel® X79

Memory 8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz

But actually DDR1866 would be an O.C. for some CPU's as well from the Information I have from Intel

.And even though 1600mhz is supported it is still considered an overclock.

Sorry, but i have to disagree there. Overclocking is running parts above the specifications - as soon as the settings are listed by the manufacturer you can't call it that anymore.

Usually manufacturer of mainboards fall back to a lower setting, as there are way to many brands of memory to test everything (hence the compability lists), and they need a setting so you can at least start a PC.

Example 1:

AMD Phenom II 965

Official range: DDR2-400, DDR2-533, DDR2-667, DDR2-800, DDR2-1066, DDR3-800, DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333

DFI LanParty DK 790FXB

Official range: DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600 (OC), DDR3-1866 (OC)

Corsair Dominator GT CMT8GX3M2A1966C9

DDR3-1866

This is what i got at the moment, and the system runs smooth as silk at DDR3-1866. The only (sort of) overclocked part here is the memory controller within the CPU as it doesn't 'officially' supports the speed of my RAM.

Example 2 (i'm putting this together at the moment):

AMD FX 8150

Official range: DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600, DDR3-1800, DDR3-1866

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

Official range: DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600, DDR3-1866, DDR3-2000 (OC)

Corsair Dominator Platinum

DDR3-1866

If i go with these components i'd have no overclocking at all, as DDR3-1866 is within the specifications of all three components.

BTW: within the last two or three years i've tested a lot of different RAM in my system - the Dominator (despite the Intel logo) and Vengeance were the only modules which worked absolutely flawlessly.

The other brands were 'plug-and-pray' in combination with delving in to the BIOS - the ones from Corsair were just 'plug-and-play' (no need for the BIOS).

• Corsair Employee
It is arguing a technicality. An overclock can simply be described as if you have to manually change a setting in the BIOS to get it up to speed or a specific timing, it is an overclock. Even Intel is hypocritical to this as they don't officially support overclocks, but the "Turbo Mode" is an overclock on their processor as it is not something automatically enabled when you boot the machine up without changing it in the BIOS.

I have nearly the same system (watch PC spec) and get 1333 MHz default - normal mode. Overclocking you will get if you change to turbo.

I just changed to XMP i.e. 1600 MHz and everything runs flawlessly.

I always had to adjust the ram timings manually, as I purchased always Corsair Ram and Asus boards.

No Asus board takes the optimum SPD timing from the internal timings table.

I wonder if this caused by Asus or Corsair or both.

No Asus board takes the optimum SPD timing from the internal timings table.

I wonder if this caused by Asus or Corsair or both.

It's pretty much the same with all motherboards no matter the manufacturer. The motherboard sets RAM and CPU to default(1333or 1066mhz depending on system) values to be able to successfully POST and boot normally.

There are no guarantees when it comes to overclocking. And that pretty much includes XMP. If your CPU/memory controller is not up to the task of overclocking then XMP will not work either. Albeit 1600mmhz is pretty much the norm now. And there are not many newer systems that will not run at at least 1600mhz without a problem. It's when you start getting upwards of 1866mhz that things CAN become dicey. But they still will default to 1333mhz for at least the first boot.

@Synomenon

I've had Vengeance RAM in my system and in the BIOS / UEFI AND AIDA64 it showed 1600 RAM running at 1600.

With the Dominator kit I just received, the UEFI and AIDA64 both show 1333 RAM running at 1600.

But you still would have had to enable the XMP profile or set your timings manually. They will both default to 1333mhz upon initial installation.

Archived