Corsair Community

RM 750x PCIe Cable Mods

LarrySinNJ

Running with a Nvidia 1060 which requires only a 6 pin power connection. I was supplied with was the cable with 8 pins for the power supply and 6 + 2 pins for the video card, along with an additional 6 + 2 connector for a second card. The power supply came with two of these cables.

Is there any way I can modify the cable to remove the dongle for the second card?

The 8-pin goes to the motherboard connector beside the CPU. That is called EPS12V and its there to supply the CPU with additional power over and above the 2x12 cable's abilities.

The 6/8-pin cables are PCIe cables and only one is needed for the GTX 1060, the other cable can be left aside as its not needed. That is the advantage of modular cables, only the ones needed are installed. The extra cables can be left in the box.

• 2 weeks later...
The 8-pin goes to the motherboard connector beside the CPU. That is called EPS12V and its there to supply the CPU with additional power over and above the 2x12 cable's abilities.

The 6/8-pin cables are PCIe cables and only one is needed for the GTX 1060, the other cable can be left aside as its not needed. That is the advantage of modular cables, only the ones needed are installed. The extra cables can be left in the box.

Understood, but to neaten up the build, I'd like to get a just a single 8-pin to 6-pin PCIe cable as opposed to the provided 8+6-pin with the extension cable for a second video card which I'm not using. This type of cable was not supplied with the PSU.

• Corsair Employee
Running with a Nvidia 1060 which requires only a 6 pin power connection. I was supplied with was the cable with 8 pins for the power supply and 6 + 2 pins for the video card, along with an additional 6 + 2 connector for a second card. The power supply came with two of these cables.

Is there any way I can modify the cable to remove the dongle for the second card?

We do not recommend you modify the cables in any way as it could lead to you damaging your components. There is of course the options for individually sleeved cables or extensions if you do not like the look of the connectors on the cables that come with the PSU by default.