Corsair Community

PSU making noise

StevenD1992

Since earlier this week my PSU (corsair tx650m) has been making this sound I can only describe as an electric buzzing noise at random times. When I put my ear close to my pc to locate the sound, it appears to be clearly comming from my PSU. This sound appears and disappears, no matter what or how much I am doing on my pc at the time. As I said it suddenly started making this noise earlier this week for the first time, I turned my pc off, looked at all of the cables and made sure they were all plugged in right, turned my pc back on and the noise was gone. Then it went good for a few days, not making the sound again, even when playing games, watching streams, etc.. I thought the sound was gone, but then yesterday morning, when I got up and my pc was turned off the night before, I heard a noise again and when I walked to my pc it turned out to be comming from my PSU again, the same electric buzzing sound. I again went to check the cables and made sure everything was alright, but the sound remained. I then turned on my pc and turned it back off at the startup screen. When my pc was turned off the sound was gone again. Today it has not made any sound either so far and as I am writing this message it is not making the sound either. Note that when I was hearing the sound, everything else on my pc still functioned normally as it always had before, it was just the strange buzzing sound my PSU was making. I also checked my temperatures to see if there was maybe overheating, but my temperatures are perfectly normal.

So my question is, what could this possibly be? Any advice would really be appreciated as I am quite concerned about this. The power supply (as the rest of my pc) is little over 2 years old now and has always worked perfectly.

Maybe not unimportant to add: last week (friday I believe) the power in part of my street went out (including in my house). At this moment my pc was turned off though. The company came to look into it and got the power back up the same day. The next day I believe (saturday), they came back a second time to properly fix it I guess, and temporarily shut the power back off to do so. This time my pc was turned on but in sleep mode (so it shut completely off from sleep mode when they turned the power off). After this is when my PSU has been randomly making these sounds. Could this somehow be related? Maybe the two power outages have damaged my PSU somehow?

Again any advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Edited by StevenD1992

I'll try that out thanks! I'll leave it as it is for now, since today for the entire day there has been no sounds coming from my PSU, but if it returns, I'll try using a different power strip, or plug it directly into the wall and see if the sound comes back or stays away.

Thanks for the reply!