Corsair Community

Steer Clear of Corsair

This is kind of a rant, and a warning. Corsair has gone the way of many overseas companies, designing products to last just outside the warranty period. I am the latest victim. My original K70 rgb, purchased mid Oct 2014, had just cratered. I was told, sorry, no warranty, not our problem. Understandable, if it was 2018, or heck, even summer 2017. It 16 weeks past the warranty period. That is cutting it a little close for me. after a week of back and forth with tech and customer support, I have concluded that Corsair is just another company that will turn its back on a loyal customer as soon as possible if it will save them changing out a couple switches on an "old" board.

Now to be clear....I did NOT say I wanted a new board. I like THIS board. I just wanted the switches changed out that are dead. Id pay for shipping. Still, nothing.

So, they've lost a 5 year loyal customer, a Twitch broadcaster who endorses Corsair has lost my subscription, and I've encouraged my friends to consider other companies when buying peripherals.

To be fair, this is the one and only problem I've ever had with a Corsair product. And it isn't even the most expensive item I have from them.

If you've made it this far, please understand that I am AWARE the warranty has expired (by a matter of weeks). My point with this post is to pass on to potential customers, that Corsair isn't a company that will look at you as a person...you're just a credit card number. Stick to the boutique companies that will stand behind a product, because they haven't forgotten that its cheaper to keep a loyal customer than it is to gain a new one.

It really is about luck at this point, with any company. I have had my board past a warranty and it works flawlessy still, I have also had one that didn't last. It depends because it is not people making the boards, it is machines that manufacture them. If you think other companies are so much better you will find out that is wrong because my experience with every company is the same, it is really just luck. The only thing i love so much about Corsair is that they actually listen to the suggestions people have unlike Razer, and are constantly updating things and showing that they care. You can't make everyone happy and that's the price that comes with any big company, if they had to return every product that broke after warranty, they would lose a ton of profit, 16 weeks after warranty is not bad, my Logitech stuff broke like a week or two after warranty, and my Asus monitor broke 1 day before the warranty... I can tell that you are angry and anger makes people rant, been there done that.

I love their PSU's....I build computers as a hobby, and only use (up until now) Corsair PSU's and RAM modules. I've spent a lot of money with this company. I've directed friends to Corsair from companies like Razer and CM, as they had complaints with them. I know buying anything is a roll of the dice, I was just hoping a company that provides a (usually) stellar product would stand behind it. I feel betrayed by an old friend...its weird. Over the years, I guess I developed a naive infatuation with Corsair. I'm gonna try a boutique company and hopefully have better luck.

And I hope just one person in management actually cares about losing me as a customer. I know that's a long shot. One can hope. If I can get at least one person at this company to actually care, I'll call it a win.

I love their PSU's....I build computers as a hobby, and only use (up until now) Corsair PSU's and RAM modules. I've spent a lot of money with this company. I've directed friends to Corsair from companies like Razer and CM, as they had complaints with them. I know buying anything is a roll of the dice, I was just hoping a company that provides a (usually) stellar product would stand behind it. I feel betrayed by an old friend...its weird. Over the years, I guess I developed a naive infatuation with Corsair. I'm gonna try a boutique company and hopefully have better luck.

And I hope just one person in management actually cares about losing me as a customer. I know that's a long shot. One can hope. If I can get at least one person at this company to actually care, I'll call it a win.

Well I care and that's why I'm telling you what I am telling you, I don't even officially work for Corsair and I don't get paid for how much I have helped people. Your keyboard lasted you 3 years and i would say thats not bad especially since its an old board, the newer model LEDS have way longer life expectancy. Again look at it from the company perspective, people are doing their job by telling you that you cannot return a product after warranty, if they said yes to everyone than they would be in a loss, its not that they don't want to help. Its just obvious that as things get older they will break, and thats part of the process of improving products, its like crying over a brand of milk that went bad and hating that brand milk for the rest of your life and going to a different brand of milk that will also go bad eventually. If they had to give your money back for every milk that went bad, they wouldnt be making much income. I'm not here to change your mind but im here to tell you that i have thought exactly like you have and everyone company is similar.

Sorry, to be clear, it lasted 2 years and 16 weeks. Just wanted to clarify that. Just outside the warranty. Nov 2017 would be 3 years....and in no way would I be complaining in November.

Drinking milk a couple days past the BB date is fine....I would never complain once it got to the point of curdling.

I'm glad you took the time to read and respond intelligently. I was expecting massive hate in posting this, as it is technically past the warranty.

I understand economics and business practices. IMO, and in the opinion of business 101, it would have been cheaper for them to repair this board, than to lose me as a customer. Repeating keys is the #1 issue on the pulldown tab in the keyboard RMA section, so its obviously a known issue. Why not offer an extended warranty for that issue?

Anyway, thanks for listening. Off to BestBuy.

My original K70 rgb, purchased mid Oct 2014, had just cratered. I was told, sorry, no warranty, not our problem. Understandable, if it was 2018, or heck, even summer 2017. It 16 weeks past the warranty period.
It sounds like you're aware it came with a 2 year warranty, but think it should have had something closer to a 2.75 year - 3.25 year warranty - why?

Now to be clear....I did NOT say I wanted a new board. I like THIS board. I just wanted the switches changed out that are dead.

I understand economics and business practices. IMO, and in the opinion of business 101, it would have been cheaper for them to repair this board, than to lose me as a customer.

FYI - they replace items sent in. They don't repair them and send them back.

Repeating keys is the #1 issue on the pulldown tab in the keyboard RMA section, so its obviously a known issue. Why not offer an extended warranty for that issue?
At best it's an oddly organized list of problem descriptions. That is a far cry from declaring something as a known issue.

Thanks for your reply.

If your car suddenly stopped running, 16 weeks after the applicable warranty expired, would you not think to say something about it? If you had windows replaced in your house by a reputable company with good reviews, and they started leaking 16 weeks after the installation warranty expired, would you say something? Its not an issue of "was there, or was there not, warranty coverage". Its a matter of a reputable company standing behind a product that malfunctioned suspiciously close to the warranty expiring.

If that doesn't make sense, I don't know what else to say.

And before you say anything about "well, cars are way more expensive than a keyboard", or something similar about windows....money is money, no matter how much you spend. That being said, as I said in the ticket, this was never about money. Its about a company doing the right thing. I hope that point isn't lost on you.

This morning, a customer care representative called me regarding this issue. We had a cordial and calm conversation about company policy and the value of a loyal customer.

The 2 takeaways from the conversation were these...

1. Corsair will make exceptions on the warranty if it is a matter of 2-3 weeks. The warranty, therefore, is not set in stone and can be worked around.

2. Corsair considers 3 months "too far gone" for a product that claims it will handle millions of key presses in its lifetime.

So, after being told the time frame would not allow for the rules to be bent, and that they do value me as a (former) customer, we mutually concluded that there would be no further customer-provider relationship between us. That is unfortunate because I have been die hard Corsair for longer than many people on these forums knew what a CPU was (yes, I'm old).

So in conclusion, id like any perspective customers to know that, regardless of the marketing and advertising, Corsair will not value brand loyalty. You are a credit card number, that's it. But maybe that's the way everything is going nowadays, so maybe you already knew that.

Call me old fashioned...I guess I grew up experiencing different customer care values.

This morning, a customer care representative called me regarding this issue. We had a cordial and calm conversation about company policy and the value of a loyal customer.

The 2 takeaways from the conversation were these...

1. Corsair will make exceptions on the warranty if it is a matter of 2-3 weeks. The warranty, therefore, is not set in stone and can be worked around.

2. Corsair considers 3 months "too far gone" for a product that claims it will handle millions of key presses in its lifetime.

So, after being told the time frame would not allow for the rules to be bent, and that they do value me as a (former) customer, we mutually concluded that there would be no further customer-provider relationship between us. That is unfortunate because I have been die hard Corsair for longer than many people on these forums knew what a CPU was (yes, I'm old).

So in conclusion, id like any perspective customers to know that, regardless of the marketing and advertising, Corsair will not value brand loyalty. You are a credit card number, that's it. But maybe that's the way everything is going nowadays, so maybe you already knew that.

Call me old fashioned...I guess I grew up experiencing different customer care values.

You find that you will be disappointed no matter where you go.

You find that you will be disappointed no matter where you go.

I disagree especially when issues such as warranty are concerned or customer service. Been a very long-time Corsair user and Corsair has grown too big to provide customer service as the OP has said. But you don't have to take my word for it there are other customers that share my view or the OP's view. I've had to deal with Corsair's customer service only rarely until this year but I was very concerned about the way customer service is being handled. It's quite disappointing to be honest.

I'm just on these forums atm because--surprise surprise--I too have had a negative experience with Corsair support/warrantees today. My 2 cents is that based off previous experience, Corsair *used* to have excellent service. But from my N=1, might not be the case anymore. I think as @Dark Knight said, Corsair has probably just grown too big sadly. But hopefully things change for the better in the future....

In any case, "2 years and 16 weeks" is a joke of a lifespan for a keyboard and I hadn't realised the Corsair keyboard warranty was so short. I mean, I have Micro$oft and IBM keyboards from the freakin' 90s in my family seeing use as daily drivers no problem. Oh well, I guess I should just be thankful that my K90 (the original rev. with half mechanical half dome switches) still works.

Archived