Corsair Community

XG7 GPU Water Block Design Flaw

dsbello

well I am worried because I have this in my system on a 2080ti

and I hate the idea of water leaking into my PC ........ so can I remove it and get a RA from Corsair"?

Is it in your system now and up and running:

- And leaking? Then that's a question for Corsair.

- And not leaking? Then, also a question for Corsair, but I'm not sure how they will react to a concern about something that might happen, but is currently working fine.

BTW I also hate the idea of a potential breach in my system too, but I'm just not sure that there's actually much Corsair can do until there's an actual problem I have with my system!! Which I'm gonna try real hard not to have !!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had it installed for 8 months. Made it through CPU swaps without undoing any tubing. Seems like it maybe a lot more susceptible to leaking in hard tubing applications where the alignment isnt exactly right

pc.thumb.jpg.5b02b356731fbf2c2541b38b00f53299.jpg

well I am worried because I have this in my system on a 2080ti

and I hate the idea of water leaking into my PC ........ so can I remove it and get a RA from Corsair"?

(warning: while your system is off and unplugged, with towels in place, careful not to break anything, use air pressure tester if you have one)

It seems to me, for those who already have this block, to get some piece of mind about the issue, put a little flex on it in a way you think you might actually encounter while installed. If it doesn't leak your're probably ok.

For what its worth, after my hot air earlier, I decided to purchase an XG7 for my 2080TI. It would appear there have been some design changes to the top gasket, and it feels strong when I try to bend it by hand.

In the attached image you can see that the area under the corsair embossed bolt heads is thicker (

). My picture is of the back of the card, and that video timestamp is of the front. The gasket is symmetrical. I obviously don't know if any other changes have been made, but this is at least indicative of some design revision.

IMG_20200606_113303.thumb.jpg.190d1d62ffa45bcb327e344032251d37.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been using this on my EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra for approx. 10months, within that time I have switched cases 2 times, each time having to plan tubing and switch fittings around and I am yet to see any kind of leak.

As mentioned and from what I see, the only way for this to leak is by applying way too much pressure.

• 1 month later...

My first suggestion would be : if it isn't broken, don't fix it :)

If it leaks, check your tubing runs, see if there's too much stress being put onto the waterblock.

Still leaking and is still under warranty : Corsair support, and try to get a RMA and replacement, hopefully with the new sturdier manifold.

As for silicone, i never used gasket makers like he has. It would have to be something that resists the chemicals used in coolants, and doesn't leaches solvents in the loop.. and doesn't melt acrylic of course..

• 1 month later...

I registered on the forums just to say this.

I read about all the leaks and saw them putting pressure to cause the leak and I thought when I build my computer I wouldn't do that so it shouldn't leak. Man I was wrong.

Just filled the tubes today and turned on the pumps and started leaking within 5 minutes. No pressure no nothing and it leaks. I guess I can't be mad at anyone but myself since I knew Corsair designed such a crap product. Here's hoping flex tape works.

If you want a video showing it let me know. I'll be glad to post one.

I registered on the forums just to say this.

I read about all the leaks and saw them putting pressure to cause the leak and I thought when I build my computer I wouldn't do that so it shouldn't leak. Man I was wrong.

Just filled the tubes today and turned on the pumps and started leaking within 5 minutes. No pressure no nothing and it leaks. I guess I can't be mad at anyone but myself since I knew Corsair designed such a crap product. Here's hoping flex tape works.

If you want a video showing it let me know. I'll be glad to post one.

Return it and buy the new SE version with the 3rd screw.

Return it and buy the new SE version with the 3rd screw.

According to Corsair's website I enter in my graphics card which is the Evga rtx 2070 super black and it tells me the FE is the recommended water block. Are you sure if the SE will fit?

• 2 months later...

I created an account just to say this.

The behavior from the regular forum members on this thread has been INCREDIBLY disappointing.

So many here have been attacking anyone worried about a problem.

Whether the problem is serious, whether you want to call it something else etc

If there is a potential for unexpected accidental leaks that is less than ideal.

You want to blame other people for an oversight by Corsair.

If anyone needs real help or input on a Corsair product they would be better off going literally anywhere else for help.

Well, corsair did put the fix everyone was pointing at in the beginning, so it didn't matter what people were trying to defend.

It was a silly design, an oversight and pretty desperate penny pinching.

Luckily it worked for most users but well.. they learned their lesson with the 3000 series waterblocks and made blocks worth their price. (the latest revision 2000 series block was also a bit better).

Brand loyalty is silly. You pay for a product expecting a certain level of quality depending on brand placement. If you get substandard quality, it's simply a bad product period.

So yea, as with youtube reviews and other medias, always take what people say with a grain of salt. There'll always be shills, haters, fanboys etc..