Corsair Community

Added new RAM , but had different speed??

gh0st47

Hey guys , as before Im only using 2X 4GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 @ 1600mhz RAM , now I've just added another 2X 4GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 @ 1600mhz

Now I've 16 GB total.

So the thing is , I open up CPU-Z I found out that the new RAM that I just installed has different speed as the previous one.

I too have XMP Profile turn on , I've to mention that when I install the new pair of RAM , I didn't had XMP Profile turn off , I had it on during the last time that I shut down my PC

To make things easy

New - Slot 2 and 4

Old - Slot 1 and 3

So here's the screenshot of CPU-Z showing my RAM. Also the new pair of RAM I bought too have a new packaging

So is this normal or what ? First time that actually running Dual Channel

Also I used MemTest86 , 2 run , all Pass , no Errors

Here's the screenshots below.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/saber47/Desktop_2014_01_04_15_16_26_676_zps246542ba.jpg~original

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/saber47/Desktop_2014_01_04_15_26_52_908_zps5069a655.jpg~original

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/saber47/IMG_0154_zps1ea2f9d9.jpg~original

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/saber47/IMG_0153_zps72512d74.jpg~original

Huh you can get it big enough to view @@ ? I had it at 1080p size should be no problem.Uh I not sure where else can I upload it , I used Photobucket, can you try this ? Best not on Mobile Phone , on the bottom right of the picture , click Enlarge , then again one more time for Maximum size or download the picture I think it will be at maximum size then

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/saber47/media/Desktop_2014_01_04_15_16_26_676_zps246542ba.jpg.html

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/saber47/media/Desktop_2014_01_04_15_26_52_908_zps5069a655.jpg.html

Part number...as in which one ?? To make things easy this the one I bought

Also I must mention

Slot 1 and 3 , Old , Black

Slot 2 and 4 , New , Red

http://www.lelong.com.my/corsair-ram-desktop-ddr3-vengeance-2x-8gb-pc1600-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9r-red-castleit-K1148825-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

If I recall correctly the Black one was Version 1.XX instead of 3.XX

But the RAM its inside my system now , I can't take it out now to read the Black ones, have to come back to you on this.

But the Black ones it's same spec as my new Red ones.

This one

http://www.lelong.com.my/corsair-ram-desktop-ddr3-vengeance-2x-8gb-pc1600-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9-blk-castleit-K1148827-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

But I don't get it , both set of RAM is the exact same RAM

Both are

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Dual Channel Kit

1600mhz

Even said so on their website on the bottom

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9.html

The only difference are the Color , one is Black another is Red

If this is not the way obtain Dual Channel , then how so??

If a 4X RAM Kit that will be Quad Channel , bu getting Quad Channel kit be useless for me , for my Mobo can't even support Quad only X79 ones can mine it's only a Z77

I thought to obtain Dual Channel for a 16 GB setup like mine , you have to get TWO " 2X4GB RAM Kit " ?

I did use Alt + Screenshot , by fact it's a Screenshot by using MSI Afterburner.

Problem is , how I show it to you guys here on the forum at full size , I can see it full size on Photobucket that I've uploaded , as I said , if you can't you will have to download it....and for God Sake , it won't contain Virus....but as if a little Virus be any trouble to you Professionals lol :p:

But I don't get it , both set of RAM is the exact same RAM

Both are

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Dual Channel Kit

1600mhz

As Synthohol pointed out it's never recommended to add memory at a later date. Manufacturing changes over time and so do the materials used. The different version number indicate a different memory chip was used in the newer kit than what was used in your original kit. So what your seeing how the memory is identified is normal. You have two totally different memory kits despite them being the same part number.

I thought to obtain Dual Channel for a 16 GB setup like mine , you have to get TWO " 2X4GB RAM Kit " ?

No. Dual channel is a function of your MB and NOT the memory. As long as you have two or four modules inserted your MB it will in run dual channel. Same goes for the "quad "channel kit you mentioned. You could use 2x8gig modules or you can use 4x4gig kits for a total of 16gigs but the important thing is to get all your memory from one single tested package.

Even though it is labeled as a quad kit you could still use that same kit of four modules in your system and it will run in dual channel just as well as it would in a quad channel board.It is all marketing!

If you have tested the memory with memtest and it is stable then you should be good to go. Actually you are pretty lucky that both kits are running together considering the different version numbers. It's always best to replace your memory and never add.

As Synthohol pointed out it's never recommended to add memory at a later date. Manufacturing changes over time and so do the materials used. The different version number indicate a different memory chip was used in the newer kit than what was used in your original kit. So what your seeing how the memory is identified is normal. You have two totally different memory kits despite them being the same part number.

No. Dual channel is a function of your MB and NOT the memory. As long as you have two or four modules inserted your MB it will in run dual channel. Same goes for the "quad "channel kit you mentioned. You could use 2x8gig modules or you can use 4x4gig kits for a total of 16gigs but the important thing is to get all your memory from one single tested package.

Even though it is labeled as a quad kit you could still use that same kit of four modules in your system and it will run in dual channel just as well as it would in a quad channel board.It is all marketing!

If you have tested the memory with memtest and it is stable then you should be good to go. Actually you are pretty lucky that both kits are running together considering the different version numbers. It's always best to replace your memory and never add.

Well this is rather troublesome...because I bet you've come across many people also like me , will usually only run like 2 sticks at the moment maybe in future adding 2 more sticks.....but even though now it's literally actually the same RAM but a later version...it will have problem running them together....

Damn, I wish Corsair / the Company will least warn us about this if it's this much of a headache !

Hope everything will turn out well or I've just wasted 100$ for the RAM and gained a butt hurt on the process.

Worst to come I guess If doesn't work out I've have to sell off my

" older " one for a high price and get another pair of new ones...

Fingers cross then :sigh!:

But also another big problem like you said , get 4X4GB Kit , that we don't sell here , we barely even able to find Quad Channel kits here....

Even one of the reviews for RAM I saw , well they didn't entire recommend to buy 2 of the same kit , but for color matching purpose , he asked us to buy 2 kit separately too

Well this is rather troublesome...because I bet you've come across many people also like me , will usually only run like 2 sticks at the moment maybe in future adding 2 more sticks.....but even though now it's literally actually the same RAM but a later version...it will have problem running them together....

Damn, I wish Corsair / the Company will least warn us about this if it's this much of a headache !

Corsair has never endorsed using multiple kits. They have sort of warned you. This is why they take the time to test and package modules into kits so all modules will be exactly the same.

Worst to come I guess If doesn't work out I've have to sell off my

" older " one for a high price and get another pair of new ones...

Fingers cross then

Then tha puts you right back i the same boat. It doesn't matter if it is another kit of the same part number. It would still be considered mixing memory and all bets are off.

But really , unless your having stability issues then there would be no need to change another kit. Just leave well enough a lone and chalk it up to experience! :)

Firstly how do you Quote Multiple...I had to Copy and Paste while doing this reply.

Are you actually having issues? I may have missed it above.

So far , no , even on MemTest86 all passed , 2 runs , 2 pass , 0 errors.

But it's only been 2 days now it's day 3 just got back home from work, gonna run some games and further test it.

I think I will have to test it with games and all least for a week to be sure.

Corsair has never endorsed using multiple kits. They have sort of warned you. This is why they take the time to test and package modules into kits so all modules will be exactly the same.

Then tha puts you right back i the same boat. It doesn't matter if it is another kit of the same part number. It would still be considered mixing memory and all bets are off.

But really , unless your having stability issues then there would be no need to change another kit. Just leave well enough a lone and chalk it up to experience! :)

Yeah hopefully. But just straight going for 16GB (2X8GB) it's so damn expensive...also as I said , we don't have any 4X kit...but want to confirm , only Quad Channel kits comes with 4X RAM in one Kit right ? Dual Channel kits are all only 2X of RAM ??

But if so , isn't Quad Channel kits more expensive ? I heard that Corsair made all of these 4 RAM to 100% to run together in Quad Channel mode.

Another thing I would like to confirm , I have 4 DIMM slots , I will have Dual Channel as long I occupy 2 correct slots ? But has no need to actually occupy all 4 slots ?? If so , why they even make 4 DIMM slots in the first place and 4 DIMM slots that doesn't even support Quad Channel not to mention.

While Quad Channel Mobo has 8 DIMM slots, I don't understand this logic.

The most logical reason is I see it's , to increase the capacity you can install :confused:

Dual Channel kits are all only 2X of RAM ??

or 4 or 8.

will have Dual Channel as long I occupy 2 correct slots ?
2, 4 or 8. depends on the motherboard. you can run dual channel with 8 sticks if the board supports it.

I heard that Corsair made all of these 4 RAM to 100% to run together in Quad Channel mode.
they make all their multi stick kits to run with eachother from the same package they came in whether its a 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8 stick kit.

to increase the capacity you can install
nailed it :):

Anyways I went and did bit of digging , I think I finally starting to understand how to actually read the SPD Tab on CPU-Z

If not mistaken , the JEDEC# / XMP are the settings your RAM capable of running , it's sort of set by the manufacturer themselves , it's more like a reference rather than a active results for your current RAM settings and all.

And If not mistaken , the JEDEC are the Chips on the RAM or something like that. If it's true then like " peanutz94 " said that my new kit has different chip in it compared to my old ones reason being a more later version number.

Hmmm I think as long the last row , which is XMP for me , all matches then it should be problem free.

So if' it's all true then , I guess the difference between my " Old " ( Black , Slot 1 and 3 ) and " New " ( Red , Slot 2 and 4 ) RAM Kit is that the Red ones are able to run at a lower speed compared to the Black ones and seems like at a lower Clock / Timing too.

I heard that lower Clock / Timing the RAM will perform faster ?

slight differences in timings you will only notice in synthetic benchmarks, as far as clock speed, 1600 ram will perform slightly better than say 1333 ram. you may not even see a difference except maybe an application may open 1 second faster.

in CPU-Z the mem tab is what your system is running at, the first pics you posted are way too blurry and small. why not just attach them here? if you have the mem tab open in cpu-z just hit alt+printscreen and paste it in paint and save as .jpg and attach it here. just click "go advanced and scroll down for the option.

f not mistaken , the JEDEC# / XMP are the settings your RAM capable of running , it's sort of set by the manufacturer themselves , it's more like a reference rather than a active results for your current RAM settings and all.

Correct! All the information contained i the SPD tab is all static and never changes. It does not reflect your current active settings.

And If not mistaken , the JEDEC are the Chips on the RAM or something like that

No, but this may help you understand more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEDEC_memory_standards

So if' it's all true then , I guess the difference between my " Old " ( Black , Slot 1 and 3 ) and " New " ( Red , Slot 2 and 4 ) RAM Kit is that the Red ones are able to run at a lower speed compared to the Black ones and seems like at a lower Clock / Timing too.

No, they run at the same speed, just one has slightly tighter timings.

I heard that lower Clock / Timing the RAM will perform faster ?

No, the higher the clock the faster the memory operations. However memory is much more stable at lower speeds.

Now you got it! As long as your system is stable your good to go!

Saw an interesting thing over other forums.

A guy bought a new pair of RAM , had same speed but at different timing.

His original was 9-9-9-24 , the new pair he bought was 8-8-8-24 ( first time I even see such timing ).

Now what people told him that the reason he was able to run it's because he had the BIOS set the timing to Auto , which forced RAM with the 8-8-8-24 timing to run as 9-9-9-24 same as the other pair of RAM and reason being his even able to boot up.

Interesting.

I know it's not good to mix match RAM ,but this is one interesting situation.

Now what people told him that the reason he was able to run it's because he had the BIOS set the timing to Auto , which forced RAM with the 8-8-8-24 timing to run as 9-9-9-24 same as the other pair of RAM and reason being his even able to boot up.

They should all try to be set the same. Forcing the board to run them at different timings is hard on them. He probably would have been okay setting them all to 9-9-924.

And this is one of those situations why it's not good to add later.

Archived