Corsair Community

K70 RGB Rapidfire - Any way to hide the key underglow?

YetanotherSteve

I am not a fan of the way most mechanical keyboards have raised keycaps that let so much light out from underneath them. I know it's the trend, but I prefer how my old MS Sidewinder X6 (and the Logitech G810 I just returned) manage to keep the lighting to the characters only, masking the under lighting.

The way the lighting is on the K70 (and the Razer BlackWidow Chroma I alsop returned) it lets so much light around the keys that it isn't so easy (for me) to distinguish individual keys. And I personally think the underglow looks a bit messy.

After looking at my new K70 RGB rapidfire, I was wondering if anyone made or sells a kind of low-density mat that would go between the keyboard chassis and the keycaps with holes for the switches, that would keep the light from escaping from underneath. I know that companies sell replacement keys but is there such a thing as a way to hide the lighting so it only comes through the tops of the keys? (aside from using a black Sharpie)

Thanks in advance,

Steve

@Toasted, I took a quick look at the images in the thread you linked and thought it needed an industrial printer, and said "screw that!" After re-reading it, I saw the PDF files you referred to. Oops, and thanks.

I ordered a roll of 12" wide matte black non-permanent vinyl sheeting, and will try to print the PDF at work and see if I can transfer the PDF to the vinyl. Thanks again for the link to the thread.

Must be a Jersey thing as I'm from Jersey too and was wondering the same exact thing. I only want the fonts lit with no underglow. I don't even like having it very bright or the special effects (I find it a cool novelty initially that wears off quick and gets too distracting.) I turn the brightness way down and leave it a solid shade of darker red throughout my non RGB keyboard that I bought on accident and wanted to exchange for the RGB I initially wanted. I basically just want solid dimly lit colors only on the fonts of the keys that I can change the colors of.

So I actually bought the regular Rapidfire by mistake and I'm double thinking of returning it for the RGB version just because of the underglow and the fact that I don't like the look of the clear plastic under the key caps and think the regular non RGB Rapidfire looks more clean now that I'm looking at them in a little more detail. I just hate being stuck with only shades of red. Red and black does go good together so I'm kind of 50/50 about exchanging it for the RGB version but yea I don't care for the underglow either and that's what's stopping me from exchanging for it. Accidentally getting the non RGB version by mistake might of been a blessing in disguise. I would prefer to try a darker aluminum grey color as that's what I use on my Razer Deathadder Elite mouse and it comes out looking like a sticker and not even a light and matches my Rocketfish mousepad with it's silver/aluminum border perfectly and where I have it dimmed down, it really does look more like a sticker or grey plastic than a actual light which I like since it makes it cleaner and less distracting looking. But that's the cool thing about being able to change to infinite colors is this same reason so that you can try different ones and see what looks best for your setup and preference. But yuk that underglow is just a little too much gaudiness for me! What to do!? I haven't even seen the RGB turned on in person, I'm only going by videos so I don't know what to do.

I got the matte black vinyl roll from Amazon over the weekend (it's like car wrap 12" wide, a little less thick than a dBrand carbon phone skin) and tried a small piece over the arrow keys. I crudely cut out holes for the stems and the LED above it. At room temperature it doesn't stretch over the switch sides neatly, leaving ugly bumps and ridges below the keycaps. A hairdryer didn't help too much.

There was still some light coming out through the matte black, but it was much less than before, which gives me hope.

My next plan is to print out the templates, put them in reverse on the paper backing of the vinyl and marks the stems and LED areas. Then pop off all of the keys and lay the sheet, then use my friends heat gun to soften the vinyl enough to shape around the switches.

(the vinyl I am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZ1VFD6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Archived