Corsair Community

Dominator Platinum ver question

ldwilliams

I am totally new to modern PC systems but have built in the past, so bear with me please ;):

I am looking to build my own rig eventually but for now I am just starting out.

I have been offered Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2X8 GB 3200 ver4.31 at a good price and was thinking of then adding another pair to add to that but noticed that the originals are ver4.31 whereas the others that I have seen are ver5.32. The part numbers on both look to be the same CMD16GX4M2B3200C 16

I am not looking to overclock right away and wondered what difference the different ver is and what that might mean in the future.

Many thanks for any help that you folk can give me!

Different Ver number means different DRAM ICs used on the kits. For moderate specifications like these that many DRAM IC types can easily clear, it is very common practice to built them from any available IC type. The Ver4.31 one should utiize Samsung 8Gbit B-Die and the Ver5.32 one Hynix 8Gbit CJR. You can verify this via Software.

What I meant with that is, there are numerus ICs options to chose from when building kits like that. Any IC type that easily clears the specifications can be used on them with only minimal in-house binning being necessary.

Running these two kits together at their XMP might work, but it does not have to. You will have to try that for yourself. In some cases manual adjustments might be needed for it to work.

However if you ever want to go beyond XMP settings, their ICs overclocking characteristics will be very different. Then the Ver5.32 kit will dictate what is possible, since in comparison Hynix 8Gbit CJR tend to need higher timings than Samsung 8Gbit B-Die at the same frequencies and some of them also do not scale with voltage (tRCD/tRP/tRFC among others).

Many thanks for that, it was the best explanation that I have found (and I have been searching for a couple of days now).

I think that I will risk it for now (the prices on both are good) as I certainly won't be doing anything other than standard for a while (I Need to learn a fair bit before altering settings that I don't understand).

I appreciate your help and your explanation, you made things very clear and easy to understand.

What I meant with that is, there are numerus ICs options to chose from when building kits like that. Any IC type that easily clears the specifications can be used on them with only minimal in-house binning being necessary.

Running these two kits together at their XMP might work, but it does not have to. You will have to try that for yourself. In some cases manual adjustments might be needed for it to work.

However if you ever want to go beyond XMP settings, their ICs overclocking characteristics will be very different. Then the Ver5.32 kit will dictate what is possible, since in comparison Hynix 8Gbit CJR tend to need higher timings than Samsung 8Gbit B-Die at the same frequencies and some of them also do not scale with voltage (tRCD/tRP/tRFC among others).

Thank you for this info. Does the version on the regular ones also apply to the Dominator Platinum RGB's? My kit is showing 5.32, def bummed that it's not samsung chips, but I might still keep them anyway. Also which software is the best to verify with?

Edited by DKizzy