Corsair Community

Corsair SF600 600W Platinum Arching when off

gazzaspins

last week I replaced my PSU in my Ncase with a Corsair SF600 600W Platinum

last few nights I've been woken up by a loud electrical POP noise coming from my general computer area - last night saw a flash come from my computer so today i took it apart and inspected all the cables

I've found that the 8pin which I routed behind my motherboard has been arching on the ram pins when the machines off - I've NEVER seen this happen before and I'm amazed its happening with the PC off/shutdown (i didn't think enough power would run through those lines when off??)

the wires have a good 1cm of space to run through and are under 0 pressure so are simply resting near the pins. Thankfully nothing has been damaged but i thought i should mention it in case there's a defect in the insulation on the wiring.

I've attached two pictures, the cables had white stuff on it which wiped off

cab.JPG.7e1958ca3b1f1a74031afc1831a8f014.JPG

ram.thumb.JPG.af0b58d26e5735c415d641c9008779de.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee
I left it on a PSU tester for a couple of days and it still made the loud popping noise. Ended up RMA'ing with supplier.

Also just read some are being recalled xD

Sorry I didn't see your post a month ago.

What was the lot code for your PSU?

• Corsair Employee

I've found that the 8pin which I routed behind my motherboard has been arching on the ram pins when the machines off - I've NEVER seen this happen before and I'm amazed its happening with the PC off/shutdown (i didn't think enough power would run through those lines when off??)

There is NO power on the 8-pin when the PC is off.

The only thing that is live is +5VSB and that's only one pin on the 24-pin connector.