Corsair Community

Commander Pro RGB channels not recognizing RGB light strips or LLfans

SteelGlaze

I'm having issues with the Commander Pro's RGB channels. One has the fan hub plugged into it, which hosts four LL fans. The other RGB channel has a string of three Corsair RGB light strips connected. But they aren't being detected by iCUE.

I upgraded the Commander Pro to the latest firmware and am running the latest version of iCUE software.

iCUE sees the commander Pro, and the Commander sees the four LL fans RPM's and can control them. But its RGB channels aren't picking up anything.

Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Tried a second Commander Pro. Same issues of the LED RGB light channels not working. So I'm obviously screwing something up in the iCUE software..... I set the lighting effects to thatt of my hardware but sill nothing happens and its driving me mad! :evil:

What about your LL fans? are you able to configure them now in iCUE? It's just odd to have both Commander Pros exhibits the same issue.

Do you have Sata-power from the PSU to the RGB hub? I got one hub that one of the Power Cables was loose and the hub did not get Power. Maybe is the same for you.

The Commander Pro has SATA power. I can see the LL fans' speed in the iCUE software and control that aspect. Its just the RGB strips and fans connected to the hub, are not getting recognized by the Commander for some reason.

What about your LL fans? are you able to configure them now in iCUE? It's just odd to have both Commander Pros exhibits the same issue.

The chances I got two faulty Commander Pro's are very low. So I'm likely missing a setting or something in the software.

Is their a way I can tell if the RGB strips and LL fans are being recognized by the Commander's RGB lighting channels in the software?

Right now I have four LL fans' RGB wires plugged into the fan hub. And the fan hub is plugged into one of the Commander's LED channels. The other channel has the three RGB light strips daisy chained together plugged into it.

So in the Lighting Setup I have Lighting Channel 1 set to LL RGB Series fans, and then set to four fans connected. For lighting Channel 2, I have it set to RGB Light Strips, with three strips connected.

So then on the left side of iCUE, I click on Lighting Channel 1, and it shows 4 fans their like I set it into while in Lighting Setup. So again when I click on Lighting Channel 2 on the left side, it shows three RGB strips, just like I set it to under Lighting Setup.

But I and getting no RGB whatsoever from these four fans or three RGB light strips.

What am I missing?!?!?! :(:

Can you show us screen caps of the configuration screens for the Commander Pro?

Sure. Lets start with what's working. I'm using two LL140 fans with my h115i Platinum. The fans' connectors, both PWM and RGB, are plugged into the corresponding wires coming off the h115i Platinum. The micro USB cable is plugged into its water block and on the other end, is plugged into one of the Commander Pro's USB 2.0 headers.

iCUE-1.jpg

iCUE-2.jpg

iCUE-3.jpg

iCUE-4.jpg

This works just fine. The LL fans and block on the h115i are displaying the exact RGB effects I have them set to in the iCUE software.

While I didn't take screens of it, my Vengence RGB Pro RAM also works as set to from the iCUE software, once I updated the motherboard BIOS.

ICUE screens of my Commander Pro's seemingly non-functioning lighting channels coming up next ........

When I click on the Commander Pro within iCUE, this is what I see and how I have it set ......

iCUE-5.jpg

iCUE-6.jpg

iCUE-7.jpg

iCUE-8.jpg

So, again, I have 4 LL fans' RGB connectors plugged into the fan hub, and the fan hub plugged into Lighting Channel 1 of the CP. In Lighting Channel 2 of the CP, I have three RGB strips plugged in daisy chained together.

And I'm getting zero RGB at all from the 4 LL fans or 3 RGB light strip that are connected to the CP's lighting channels.

OK. Software is 100% correct; looks good.

Now ... the fans are connected to a fan hub, correct? And that has SATA power? Any adapters, like a Molex => SATA adapter? And you've rearranged fans on the fan hub, right?

How are the strips connected to the Commander Pro? Which cables are you using?

Finally ... do you have a multimeter?

OK. Software is 100% correct; looks good.

Now ... the fans are connected to a fan hub, correct? And that has SATA power? Any adapters, like a Molex => SATA adapter? And you've rearranged fans on the fan hub, right?

The Fan Hub requires SATA power too? I don't remember that, so I will be sure to double check.

No, I haven't rearranged the the ports of the fans plugged into the fan hub.

How are the strips connected to the Commander Pro? Which cables are you using?

The cables that came with the Corsair light strips, I believe. Pretty certain. I'll double check, tho. What should they be?

Finally ... do you have a multimeter?

A few of them ...

The Fan Hub requires SATA power too? I don't remember that, so I will be sure to double check.

Yes, it does.

No, I haven't rearranged the the ports of the fans plugged into the fan hub.

Let's try that. The fans operate in a series and one bad fan can take out the whole chain. If the first fan is bad, it'll take the rest out.

The cables that came with the Corsair light strips, I believe. Pretty certain. I'll double check, tho. What should they be?

Yeah, the cables that came with the strips would be correct. They should be a 3-pin connector and have 3 wires. The extensions will be male-to-female. We've seen folks use the fan hub connector cables (3-pin, 2 wires) and connect them backwards.

A few of them ...

OK ... if you want, you can also check the power output from both the Commander Pro and the Fan Hub. Between pin 1 (on the right when facing the connector) and pin 3/pin 4 (depending on fan or lighting channel ... the pin all the way to the left), you should see +5V DC.

Okay. Going in deep, cutting all my zip ties and with it there goes my cable management. Wish me luck! (guess I put the cart before the horse)

... and thanks for the multimeter tip.

Good luck! If you have questions, ask! Photos may also help ... we might see something that you've missed - it happens, to all of us!

Okay, great info about the rgb fan hub having its ports wired together in series. I wasn't aware and had ports 3,4,5 and 6 populated but not one and two. So I plugged them into ports 1,2,3, and 4. Powered up, and the four LL fans that had no working RGN, now had their RGB working

So, then I switched all the wiring back into the original Commander Pro that is installed in my case that had been hooked up to my second CP.

So now only two of the four fans plugged into rgb hub ports have their RGB working. Made sure all the wires were plugged into the hub, then switched back to CP#2. Still the same, only two of the four LL fans connected to the hub have working rgb.

Haven't got to the LED strips yet. Will resume tomorrow .....

Got all three LED strips working. As I undid the more zip ties, the problem became clear - I had used a two wire RGB fan extension wire to connect them, not the necessary three wire extension for the strips. They worked right away after that.

The last problem I'm still having, is I randomly lose the the RGB on LL fans 3 and 4 that are connected to the hub. These are at the bottom of my case and randomly stop working(the RGB) after say the PC goes into hibernation. I shut down the PC, unplug the fans from the hub and plug them back in, and/or unplug the RGB hub from the Commander. Then I cross my fingers and power the PC back on, hoping for the best.

If they don't come back on, I keep fiddling with things till they do. But I can't seam to make out any rhyme or reason to why I randomly keep losing RGB on LL fans 3 and 4.

Archived