Corsair Community

Left-shift key isn't very responsive

metalfingers

Hello!

I've had this keyboard for a while and I think normal wear & tear have taken their toll on my left-shift key. I imagine that I have to remove the key and do something to it, but I'm not sure what -- Would I need to swap the key? Replace a part inside?

I'm ready to buy a keycap remover from Amazon but I don't know what to expect. I'm hoping I can just clean out dust or something and put the key back on but I doubt it'll be so simple.

Does anyone sell just single Shift keys?

Will I need some of those little rubber bands?

Thanks for helping this mechanical keyboard noob. :sigh!:

Hello!

Tbh prior to owning a keycap puller, before corsair send me one i just

Used my fingers to pull of every single cap (104) multiple times for cleaning purposes.

Left shift is pretty easy to get to if you pull off the left control and work your way around it.

Just make sure to slowly "pull up" applying pressure around the key so it lifts in its entirety

If left shift has 2 stabilizers make sure to lift it off those 2 first.

But honestly it sounds like an internal problem, nothing that pulling of the cap wil fix, so i think it would be better to RMA the board (2 year warranty).

Cheers Rvh

ah that's unfortunate to hear...

yeah sounds like somethings definitely wrong with the switch itself...

i would still just open a ticket if i were you and just press your luck.

maybe Corsair support is in Christmas spirit you never know ;)

So instead of buying the tool, I remembered that I had something that looks like a metal toothpick with a spoon-tip. I used that and my hand to get equalish pressure on the left-shift key and popped it off. I noticed that the "+" emptiness (well? cutout? depression?) under the shift key was way deeper than the "+" sprouting out of the key. I stuffed a little paper into the key itself, put it back and now it's picking up all my strokes. Hopefully this helps someone in the future too.

Archived