Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM
G_Lee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899294
G_Lee Reputation: 10
Default New Build with Corsair H100i v2 AIO Cooler

Hello:

First time poster here. I recently completed a computer build with a Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler. My BIOS shows the pump speed normally around 1430 rpm. Is this the proper pump speed, or should it be higher? I am not using the Corsair Link software.

The AIO pump is connected to the AIO Pump header on the MOBO, and the cooler fans are connected to the CPU Fan header. My BIOS shows the AIO Pump speed around 1430 rpm as noted above.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899310
red-ray Reputation: 81
Sigh.. The H100iV2 is silly and reports half the pump speed

The H100iV2 is silly and reports half the pump speed, so the actual pump speed is about 2860 RPM.

I suspect this is far faster than needed, but you need to USB connect the cooler and use software to set a lower speed.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:28 PM
G_Lee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899345

Hi Red-Ray, thanks for replying.

My current situation is that I have an Asus Prime Z270A mobo with the 7700K overclocked to 5.0 Ghz with 1.44V set in the bios. It will run 1 hour of Prime 95 Small FFT and remain stable, but the core temps will hit 100 C, which I don’t like. With 2 hours of ROG RealBench, I get core temps of 92-94 C. As noted above, I am cooling the CPU with a Corsair H100i v2 AIO cooler.

This is one of the reasons I am considering delidding and relidding of the 7700K, to get core temps down allowing me to use a lower Vcore.

Do you think that there is a problem with these temps with my cooling system that I need to address prior to delidding and relidding?

Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899348
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

No, the problem is the 1.44v. That's a big chunk of voltage and about a tenth over where most people stop. Setting the Kaby's up to run synthetic tests takes some tweaking and at your voltage, you have no wiggle room. Delidding is likely to bring you what you want. Even if I gave you a 280, 360, or 480mm radiator, your temps might only come down 2-3C. This is all voltage on die and thermal transfer limitations. The cooler's ability to dump waste heat is likely not fully utilizied. You can measure this with start and load coolant temps (H100i v2 temp) in Link. The delta is probably small.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 PM
G_Lee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899352

Hi C-Attack, thanks for replying.

If everything with the cooling system is okay, then I am going to proceed to delid and relid with liquid metal TIM.

I agree, I would love to get the VCore to below 1.35 V.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:41 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899355
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

You may want to try re-tuning for Real Bench only, unless you have a specific need for Prime. Speaking from experience, my HW-E and Skylake CPUs really need a big boost in Vcore to be Prime stable when entering into the last 10% of the overclock range. While my 5930K is absolutely x264 stable at 1.28v, I need another 0.09v to be Prime stable at the same frequency. At lower frequencies, the gap is quite small. I have spoken with other users who report the same. I have not worked with Kaby, but I would expect quite a bit of similarity to Skylake in this regard. Now it could be you are just one tick too far, but I suspect you can get by with less for x264 and real world applications. That 1.44 will rear its ugly head every time you launch an less than optimized program or Windows decides to run Defender while you are already running a load.

Last edited by c-attack; 04-14-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 PM
G_Lee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899362

Hi C-attack, I agree, to be Prime Stable I needed extra voltage over that required by a real world load more like RealBench. My workstation is for photo editing and processing as I a professional photographer, with some gaming on the side (much to the dismay of my wife lol).