Corsair Community

Dominator Chips (Intel vs. AMD)

Sync13

Hello all, I have done a little research without much fruit falling to the ground, so I've decided to throw this out to the field for some feedback.

Last year I bough the Corsair chips found in my profile for a new Ryzen 2700X build. Everything went great, no issues, ran it for a while - then deceived to upgrade to an X570 to prepare for a 3950X upgrade later in 2020. Did the fresh install as usual, and all went well, no BSODs, no problems. Ran it fine with all my games, no issues with anything. Then one day, I wanted to play around with OC options. I mean, why have all this new O- capable hardware and not OC, right? Then I learned that my Corsair chips are different. Had no clue when I bought them (same label, same part #, same price, sam packaging) one literally says AMD, and the other clearly says Intel on it.

Using CPU-Z, I come up with one difference in these 4 chips:

Problem #1, I obviously have them in the wrong slots, so now do I fix that to see if it changes anything? 1& 2 are Single Rank? (see attached image)

Problem #2, Slots 3&4, are Dual Rank. (see attached image

I never noticed this until the other day when I attempted the OC option in BIOS and BOOM! BSOD. First one ever with my Ryzen. That's what started my investigation into my hardware, and how I found the differences in these 2 Kits. My questions are:

1. Is that what is "Definately" causing the issue?

2. Can I fix it by doing the off-set slots of the Dual Rank chips in 1 & 3 and the Single Rank Chips in Slots 2 & 4?

3. Or should I just take out the Intel labeled chips and stick with 16gb for now and attempt OC?

Appreciate all your guidance. Let's break it and fix it together!

Sync

http://www.ksa4pt.org/mt-content/uploads/2020/01/cpu-z_memory-screenshot.png

Edited by Sync13

On the back of the sticks you will see a sticker. On that sticker there is a version number. Different version numbers have different chips. Online retailers generally don't look at this before sending you the ram. You can see the ver. 4.34 in the picture below highlighted in yellow. Sorry for the crappy quality, I just pulled a picture off the web for reference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37390&stc=1&d=1579987684

Mixed ram can cause issues. On intel systems they are more forgiving if you put mixed ram in different channels, but I have tried it on my Aorus x570 Master and it didn't work out well. I went to my local best buy and dug through their stock and found more sticks that were the same version and model as the better kit I had at home and had no trouble after that.

ramver.jpg.069d7df72ecf4ad17d324efb390bf04e.jpg

Edited by intender