Corsair Community

iCUE not controlling fan speeds properly

Hikyuuri

I'm having an issue with iCUE. On occasion, random fans will not follow the fan curve properly. This happens both with custom fan curve profiles, or with the built in profiles.

Right now, I have 6 120mm LL fans connected to the Commander Pro. Since all 6 fans are identical, I would expect all 6 fans to perform similarly (RPM wise). However, even when all 6 fans are set to the same profile, one or two run very slow (800RPM).

I have even created a profile called "Manual Max" which does exactly what it sounds like; statically sets the fan speed to Fixed 100%. Even using this profile, one or two fans will stay around 800-1000RPM while the other spin up to 1400-1800RPM (which is also odd that there is such a wide spread of RPM speeds, considering all 6 fans are the same).

I don't think its a power issue or something like that, because even if I only try to run 3 of the 6 fans at their max setting, the one still lags behind the rest.

I have attached images of this issue. The first is using the Manual Max mode I created and described above. The 2nd is using the built in "Extreme" profile. The third is running only three of the 6 fans at an elevated profile, but still one is basically idling.

Any ideas on this?

Version information:

iCue - 3.21.88

Commander Pro Firmware - 0.9.212

Capture.thumb.PNG.5ee439e5a803c3350dc12a9c88902d44.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.345e7bb24185865f267a66570da4ff15.PNG

Capture3.thumb.PNG.ec957811fddd1df1ef95b2258fd1fc27.PNG

Is it always the same fans that lag behind (Fan #1 never makes it past 1000 rpm)? Or does it change?

Don't use the C-Pro presets (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme) for testing. Frankly, don't use them at all. The presets are linked to CPU temperature since that is the only thing guaranteed to be in every system. However, any Lake processor is going to be all over the place with CPU temp and activity, so it makes for a bumpy ride. It looks like you already use coolant temp as the control variable on the C-Pro and that is a much better choice. Obviously the max speed test should result in relatively even fans speeds, except maybe 100 rpm less for radiator fans.

If the slow fan(s) changes between #1-6, it might mean the cooling profile is corrupted. Go to your C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming Corsair/Cooling folder. Cut the configuration file from there and paste it to the desktop. Quit iCUE from the task manager. The fans will go crazy for a minute until you relaunch iCUE. This will remove the current profiles as they are now on the desktop and put you back at the Quiet Preset, which is not so quiet. Immediately create a new custom "cooling mode" and set max to 100%. Do they all go? If you set it to fixed RPM above the maximum speed (say 2000 rpm), what happens? If all good, recreate your curves and trash the old.

Edited by c-attack

It is not always Fan#1. And it's not always that slow either. Also, it's not always fans attached to the Commander Pro either.

Right now, I have all fans set to 100% again. Fan 1, 2, 3, and 6 on the Commander Pro should all be about the same speed. However, fan 6 is 200 RPM slower than the others.

Also, I have the 3 fans attached to the H150 set to 100%, but Fan 1 on that is also 200RPM slow.

So, this issue seems to change which fan is impacted, and how much that fan is impacted.

Also, for clarification, I have the Commander Pro with 6 fans attached:

- Fan 1 is a 120MM LL

- Fan 2 is a 120MM LL

- Fan 3 is a 120MM LL

- Fan 4 is a 140MM LL

- Fan 5 is a 140MM LL

- Fan 6 is a 120MM LL

I also have the Corsair H150 AIO cooler, which has 3 fans attached:

- Fan 1 is a 120MM LL

- Fan 2 is a 120MM LL

- Fan 3 is a 120MM LL

Fans 1, 2 and 3 of both the H150 and the Commander Pro are attached to the radiator of the H150 in a push-pull configuration. The H150 attached fans are the intake (push), and the Commander Pro are the exhaust fans (pull). As such, I want these fans to match speed to optimize airflow, and that is why I am using the coolant temp of the H150 to control the fans on the Commander Pro.

Well, that would explain the variance between 4/5 and the others in the original screen shots. The LL140 has a different max speed than the LL120. #6 is within the standard +-10%, but clearly #1 is not behaving.

In the past, Fan #1 on the Commander Pro has occasionally glitched in this way. I don't know why #1, but this seems to be the one commonly reported. If it is doing this, go to the iCUE settings and restart the service. See if that changes things. If not, open the Task Manager and kill iCUE and the Corsair service before relaunching. It is not usually a permanent condition.

The other thing to be way of is using other monitoring tools polling the same data, specifically HWiNFO, AIDA, or something similar. If you are experiencing loss of control across two different fan controllers (H150i and Commander Pro), you are likely looking at software conflict rather than hardware or wiring.

What fan type (3-pin, auto, 4-pin) do you have the fans set to in ICUE? Sometimes it is better to have the fans set to 4-pin (look under the settings for the CoPro) rather than auto.

What happens if you swap what fans (for your H150i) run off the CoPro & the CLC? i.e. The fans that were on the pump's fan headers are moved to the ports on the CoPro and visa-versa. Does the problem move with the fan or does it remain wrong on the CoPro?

Another test you could try is running PWM splitters on the pump fan headers and have all 6 fans controlled by the H150i. (A Noctua Chromax 4-pin PWM 3 pack isn't that expensive ~$US10.)