Corsair Community

How high can the temperature of the H115i be so that the pump will not be damaged

cmx1993

It can definitely do 50C and not be damaged. So you're good from that perspective.

However, that doesn't mean that you necessarily want it that warm. And that kind of delta between the ambient temperature and the coolant temperature is usually indicative of a case air flow problem; specifically that the case airflow isn't properly exhausting heat from the GPU. I'm assuming that your cooler is configured as exhaust? Can you provide info on how your cooler is configured and mounted? (Note: we've seen issues with the BeQuiet cases when the cooler is configured as exhaust in the top. Heat builds up in the top of the case. Try flipping the fans over to intake when installing in the top of the BeQuiet cases.)

What temperature are your case fans using as their control variable?

It's not that hard to get to the low 40s in Summertime when you start off in a room in the upper 20s. However, as mentioned once you start getting into 45-50C, you need to ask questions about why things are that warm. There could be a very simple explanation (980 Ti SLI), but you need to find out.

As for product limitations, Corsair does not publish maximum water temperatures. Various other brands will put it in the 50-60C range. However, that is a not a hardware failure point but rather effective end CPU temperature limitation. If your coolant temp is 60C, then that is also the minimum possible CPU temp when the voltage is 0 and cores dormant. Of course you won't stay like that and most CPUs in stock configurations will have a coolant to core temp differential of +35-40C. Starting at the 60 base, that puts you into near shutdown the moment the CPU dedicates any effort to do something. You certainly can't run a 7700 or 8700K at default settings with a 60C coolant temp. But once again, if you are sitting there reading this and your coolant temp is 50-60C, you have a problem and it is likely the cooler needs some attention.

so if i do not play a coolant temperature of 30-33 celsius. when I play the coolant has a maximum of 44 Celsius. that should be temperatures but be okay with the warm temperatures in the summer? I mean I have a room temperature of 27-28 celsius[/size]

Most people will see an average coolant temperature of +4-7C above their room temperature. Case layout, CPU model, BIOS and power settings all have impact on that value. So, 30-33C in a 27-28C room? Just fine and as expected. If you are going +10-12C while gaming, odds are much of the heat is GPU related. If you want to test, run a CPU only test for 10-15 minutes. You will probably see the coolant rise +6-7C at 100% CPU usage. Obviously a game will use less, but take note of your motherboard and/or drive temperatures when gaming. They also likely go up +5-6C and that as a result of the GPU heating up the case. No getting around that except with extreme measures, but it also means you don't need to worry about the cooler. The summertime boost in room temp often puts people into a end temperature zone. Subtract 10C from every component in the case and we are probably not having this discussion. Winter is good for some things.

• 2 weeks later...

Not in terms of it being 44C = danger, however that does offer a decent sized penalty to end CPU temps. Whether or not this is a cooler problem or a heat management problem likely turns on the the change in coolant temperature when under load.

What kind of change do see currently see in H115i Temp (coolant temperature) when in use? What is the baseline? I can see the peak of 44C. Most people will have a baseline of around +4-7C above their room temp (or same as the interior case temp).

An 8700K at 1.22v should cause the coolant temperature to go up about +5C on a 280mm radiator when under a max CPU only load. For the moment, we need to cut the GPU out the equation.

How does your system respond?

OK, but be specific so we can evaluate if things are working properly. For example, it gets quite warm in the afternoon in this room at my baseline coolant temp is at 29-30C, just barely above the room temp. My delidded 8700K at 5.0/1.30v has never gone past 35C. So, about a +5-6C rise. This is the expectation with a 280mm radiator. Now the GPU can change the balance. Mine is on a separate cooling loop mostly eliminating any contribution. It would not be unheard of for the GPU to add another 8-10C to the total case temperature, but you would see this as low 40s liquid temp (H115i Temp) and the same for hard drives, SSDs, the motherboard sensor, and anything else in the case. If the liquid temp is 44 and the drives and motherboard temp sensor all in the mid 30s, that may suggest a problem.

More to the point, if you are getting into the mid 40s in a CPU only stress test (10-15 minutes), then we really need to take a careful look at what is happening. At 1.22v, I really only expect a +5 coolant temp rise. Even delidded, at 44C liquid temp, that likely puts your peak CPU core temps into the 70s and that should be out of reach for your hardware and settings.

*OK, I see the case now (CM Masterbox Lite 5). Since this is a front mount, intake set-up, GPU heat should not be as impactful. It is possible the solid front fascia with open top/bottom venting poses more restriction that a fully open case. However, from what I have seen with other people, that newer design has a deeper opening and is less restrictive than most other cases with a solid front. Can we be specific with the numbers?

1) When you turn on your PC from an off or sleep state, what is the H115i Temp Liquid Temp? Does it stay there? Or slowly rise to a higher level?

2) What is the change when you run a CPU only stress test? You only need to run it for 10-15 minutes to demonstrate this. The coolant should go up at a steady +1C per minute rate for about the first 5 minutes, then level off. You will be able to see this both on the H115i Temp line and the CPU Package temp ticking up by +1C every minute or so.

when i start the pc its by 29c water temp it going up by playing and benchen when i only use a cpu Bench its going up to 41c water temp by closed system i have try to open my case now its by 36c water temp all the time outdoor is it 29c

when i start the pc its by 29c water temp it going up by playing and benchen when i only use a cpu Bench its going up to 41c water temp by closed system i have try to open my case now its by 36c water temp all the time outdoor is it 29c

This is indicative of a case airflow issue. What case do you have? (hint: fill out your system specs so we have something to refer to!)

I believe we are looking at a front mounted H115i in the case above. My concern is the coolant temp seems a bit high for front mount. So assuming a 29C room temperature, the liquid temperature is always 36C or higher? I guess the easy way is the take off the front panel and see if there is a different. Make sure you are not running a dust filter on that as well. Radiator + dust filer is a lot of restriction, not to mention the panel. I thought the "dust filters" on that case were on the inlets, away from the fan which should eliminate this as a real problem.

i mean the Corsair Crystal 570X RGB

I don't want to tell you to get a new case unless I am absolutely sure that is the issue and the new case would be a clear improvement. We have been suggesting possible sources, but don't have any real data from you as to what happens, so I can't differentiate a cooler that has a mild flow problem from an airflow management issue. I am concerned because even people using effectively solid glass panel fronts do not complain of mid 40s liquid temps. Please share specific numbers. (I powered on, it was 30C H115i Temp, then quickly rose to 36C, ran CPU only stress test for 5 minutes and the liquid temp went to 44C and won't cool down, etc.).

OK, well one new development. You have the fans on the front mounted radiator set to exhaust and push air out the front of the case. This is not in itself wrong and I am running a "reverse flow" case right now, where the bottom and rear are intake, the top and front exhaust. However, your rear fan is still exhaust and I cannot see the top fans at all. If all of your fans are turned to exhaust, this may explain some of air flow management issues.

While I run my case in reverse for a specific reason, both my GPU and CPU are water cooled so I don't take a penalty for doing things this way. I am not sure that will still be true with an open GPU heating up the center of the case. We can approach this from either direction, but I would have a strong preference to flip the front radiator fans around and make them intake and see how this changes things.

*Please tell or show me the top fans as well. Need to know if they are intake or exhaust.

Oh, I see now. There are no top mounts in that case at all. It is front and rear only. Well, that makes the decision easy.

Tomorrow morning, turn the front fans around. It doesn't matter if they are on the inside or outside of the radiator, but the "label" side of the fan with the specification sticker should be pointing toward the GPU and the inside of the case. Do the opposite of how they are now. This will make the front the intake pathway and the rear fan will do exhaust. It should help push the GPU waste toward the rear. Right now you have no intake flow, so the interior fans draw from wherever they can. This likely produces a swirl of air in the middle of the case and that is where the GPU sits. Paying a penalty on both ends.

Archived