Corsair Community

Possible dead HX750i psu?

EzioAs

Hello, I was hoping if you guys could help me with something.

My PC just suddenly died out of nowhere and I haven't been able to turn it back on again. I've tried reseating the RAM, taking off the video card, but to no avail. I might reseat the CPU soon but for the time being, I suspect it's the PSU that failed/died.

Corsair FAQ page suggest to do the paper clip test however, they do state that some PSUs where the fans will not turn on unless necessary (like my HX750i) will only spin for a while during this clip test. I've tried but as far as I can tell, the fan doesn't seem to be spinning even slightly.

This PSU however does have a fan self test button which only requires the AC power and when I press the button, I can definitely see the fan spinning if only for a second. I don't know if this test is enough to indicate that the PSU is well and good though.

I'll RMA it if I'm completely sure that it's a dead PSU but do you guys have any thoughts/inputs you can share? Thanks.

Yes, no power at all. I think this particular model should have the LED on the PSU light up when the AC power is plugged in and the switch at the back is turned on as well, right? At least, I think that's how I remember it.

• Corsair Employee
Yes, no power at all. I think this particular model should have the LED on the PSU light up when the AC power is plugged in and the switch at the back is turned on as well, right? At least, I think that's how I remember it.

I think the LED only turns on after the PSU turns on. Not just for being plugged in and switched on. Because the LED's colors are based on USB status.

Sorry to brought this thread up again but for the paper clip test, is it necessary to connect any other device if the PSU has a fanless operation mode? I don't have anything else that can connect to the PSU though

• Corsair Employee
Sorry to brought this thread up again but for the paper clip test, is it necessary to connect any other device if the PSU has a fanless operation mode? I don't have anything else that can connect to the PSU though

Just a fan so you can see that something is getting power. Because you can short the power on to ground and energize the wires, but unless you have a DMM to measure those voltages or have something plugged in to use that power, you're not going to know if the PSU is live or not.

You could also invest in a power supply tester like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/

I've tested with a PSU tester and nothing comes out so that's a full confirmation that it's dead I would say. I want to RMA the unit but is it necessary to include purchase receipt in the RMA form? I might have left it in another place and it would take a while to get the image. Also, is it necessary to include the cables and such or I just need to send the PSU itself? Edited by EzioAs

• Corsair Employee
I've tested with a PSU tester and nothing comes out so that's a full confirmation that it's dead I would say. I want to RMA the unit but is it necessary to include purchase receipt in the RMA form? I might have left it in another place and it would take a while to get the image. Also, is it necessary to include the cables and such or I just need to send the PSU itself?

You don't have an "e" receipt? Bought it in store with a paper receipt?

These are questions for customer service. You should ask them.

I've tested with a PSU tester and nothing comes out so that's a full confirmation that it's dead I would say. I want to RMA the unit but is it necessary to include purchase receipt in the RMA form? I might have left it in another place and it would take a while to get the image. Also, is it necessary to include the cables and such or I just need to send the PSU itself?

When I rma'd my AX 760i I'm sure I had to return all cables.

You don't have an "e" receipt? Bought it in store with a paper receipt?

These are questions for customer service. You should ask them.

Yes, I bought this in store. Guess I'll ask customer service then.

When I rma'd my AX 760i I'm sure I had to return all cables.

I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary. I'll confirm this with customer service then.

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.

• Corsair Employee

I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary. I'll confirm this with customer service then.

Beg them. :D

Tell them you don't want to have to redo all of your cable management.

It would be a good idea to return at least the 24-pin cable. In case they can't send you an HXi replacement and have to upgrade you, you may end up with something that uses the new Type 4 cables (of which, only the 24-pin is incompatible).

Oh, so the higher end models don't have compatible 24-pin cable with the HXi? I didn't know that before. Which reminds me, other than the SFX models, Corsair hasn't really brought up any new PSU in recent years right? I guess all the current lineup still holds strong after all these years.

• Corsair Employee
Oh, so the higher end models don't have compatible 24-pin cable with the HXi? I didn't know that before. Which reminds me, other than the SFX models, Corsair hasn't really brought up any new PSU in recent years right? I guess all the current lineup still holds strong after all these years.

Other than AXi, EVERYTHING is newer than HXi. You can tell from the side labels. All the newer stuff (RMx, RMi, HX, AX) have the gray scale side label, where the older stuff has colors, like the "HX" having blue and the "AX" having red.

The reason HXi was never replaced was... well... it's damn near perfect. :D

• 1 month later...

Finally got my HX750i replaced!

IMG_20200720_184350.jpg?psid=1&width=674&height=898

No more cloth bag this time :(

IMG_20200720_185447.jpg?psid=1&width=674&height=898

New power chord definitely feels thinner than the old one.

IMG_20200720_185415.jpg?psid=1&width=1198&height=898

Got my PC up and running again. It took a while, but I'm glad I got my dead PSU replaced without other any other hassles.

The reason HXi was never replaced was... well... it's damn near perfect. :D

Not sure about that chief my 11.1v 12v rail on my hx1200i disagrees

swapped it out for my old hx750 bang 12.168v

my 2x hx750's have been great solid all round rails

the hx1200i not so good..

• Corsair Employee
Finally got my HX750i replaced!

No more cloth bag this time :(

New power chord definitely feels thinner than the old one.

Got my PC up and running again. It took a while, but I'm glad I got my dead PSU replaced without other any other hassles.

The cloth bag was discontinued because they found that over time, in moist environments, mold would appear.

What region are you in? Different gauge wire is used for different regions. Higher voltage mains don't require as thick of a power cord because of lower current.

Not sure about that chief my 11.1v 12v rail on my hx1200i disagrees

swapped it out for my old hx750 bang 12.168v

my 2x hx750's have been great solid all round rails

the hx1200i not so good..

Where did you get those voltage readings for the HX and HXi. They're LITERALLY both the EXACT SAME PSU except for the HXi has the ability to communicate with iCUE.

The cloth bag was discontinued because they found that over time, in moist environments, mold would appear.

I figured it had to do with something like that.

What region are you in? Different gauge wire is used for different regions. Higher voltage mains don't require as thick of a power cord because of lower current.

I'm in Malaysia. By the way, is it safe to use a different power cord? I'm thinking of getting a 2M-3M power cord for better cable management. If it's safe, is there any rating that I have to look into?

• Corsair Employee
I figured it had to do with something like that.

I'm in Malaysia. By the way, is it safe to use a different power cord? I'm thinking of getting a 2M-3M power cord for better cable management. If it's safe, is there any rating that I have to look into?

So Malaysia uses the same UK power cord as the UK and Singapore, right?

If so, the power cord should be rated at 10A/250V with 18g/0.75mm^2 wires

So Malaysia uses the same UK power cord as the UK and Singapore, right?

Yes, I believe we use the same power cord as UK and Singapore.

If so, the power cord should be rated at 10A/250V with 18g/0.75mm^2 wires

So, as long as I buy a longer power cord with this rating, it should be good right?

• Corsair Employee

So, as long as I buy a longer power cord with this rating, it should be good right?

No. A longer power cord should be of a heavier gauge wire because the longer wire adds resistance that causes additional heat in the cable.