Corsair Community

GTX980 flashing red until I start MSI Afterburner

Sineira

Another bug.

My GTX980 is flashing red in Corsairlink until I start MSI Afterburner ...

CL will flash red when it thinks the fan has failed.

I also have a GTX 980, its the Asus Strix... My particular 980 runs with fans off when at low temps. Yours may be the same.

Is MSI afterburner forcing the fans to start?

If so I think CL is working as intended...

Exactly same card.

OK so I think that Link is working as designed.

It flashes any fan that isn't running as red (I assume it thinks the fan has failed)

I'm betting that MSI afterburner is forcing the fans to run even at low temps and when the fans are running they aren't red in Link.

You could test this by not running afterbuner and starting a game and confirm that once the GPU gets hot enough to start the fans it will show normally in link. that's how it has been working for me.

• 1 month later...
My MSI GTX 970 doesn't turn the fans on either under normal conditions - but when I turn the fans on w/MSI software, the Link Software picks it up. What I would like, is the option to disable the flashing red. I have a Corsair 860i that doesn't turn the fan on unless under load either - but it doesn't flash red when the fan is off. I'd like an option for the GTX970 to do the same.

• 1 month later...

I have a Corsair RM650 PSU whose fan does not start turning until the load is around 350 Watts.

Initially, it, too, was doing the flashing red.

Here's what I figured out:

1. Start the fan - loaded down my graphic card and some CPU benchmark to get the load up and the fan running. Still flashing red.

2. Right-click on the flashing red fan and select delete.

3. Wait a few moments. Poof! A new instance of the fan appears, not blinking red. For some reason, it stays that way, even when speed drops to zero.

Worked with both 2.7.5361 and 3.1.5525 versions.

Not sure if this only works for PSU fan, but it worked for me.

Good Luck

Archived