Corsair Community

6 Fans 1 Pump Commander Pro setup recommendations?

toiletfyshy

A little information of my setup and back story:

I have 6 sp120 rgb pro fans and a Corsair XD5 Pump. I used a 2 way PWM splitter to connect 2 fans into fan header 5 on Commander Pro. I read that you shouldn't use splitters and ended up learning the hard way. Fan header 5 isn't working anymore. Gonna try to get the Commander Pro replaced.

So my question is how do I plug up 6 fans and 1 pump safely? I'm trying to have everything controlled in ICUE.

hi buddy....

although not supported by Corsair.. using PWM splitters on the commander pro is fine as long as you pay attention to a few rules regarding power limits...

running 6 fans and an XD5 off of one commander pro is totally doable. what i have personally seen is hot swopping can kill the Commander Pro's headers. and its random.. may happen.. may not. again. Corsair doesnt not support hot swapping and will indeed advise you not to.

i have personally ran 9 fans with out issues..

lots more info below

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

hi buddy....

although not supported by Corsair.. using PWM splitters on the commander pro is fine as long as you pay attention to a few rules regarding power limits...

running 6 fans and an XD5 off of one commander pro is totally doable. what i have personally seen is hot swopping can kill the Commander Pro's headers. and its random.. may happen.. may not. again. Corsair doesnt not support hot swapping and will indeed advise you not to.

i have personally ran 9 fans with out issues..

lots more info below

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Could there be any other reason why my fans aren't spinning on header 5? Software probably? I ran a 2 way splitter on header 5 fine for about a month. I didnt touch it and yesterday I saw that the fans weren't spinning. I tried other fans alone in header 5 and none of them spun up. I always shut down and flip switch on psu when working on the pc.

Note I'm running 3 pin fans and not PWM 4 pin. In ICUE settings, I have fan 5 set to 3 pin

Edited by toiletfyshy

Note I'm running 3 pin fans and not PWM 4 pin. In ICUE settings, I have fan 5 set to 3 pin

oh.. right... at this point i am not sure as not used non PWM fans like that buddy.

not sure how that would play out as 3 pin would be voltage controlled.....

Hello all, I have this exact same problem. I am/was using a 2-way splitter on one of my CmdPro ports as I have 6 LL RGB 120's and the XD5 pump. Out of nowhere when I was playing a game the two fans attached to the port stopped spinning. The RGB continues to work.

The splitter I am/was using is the Noctua NA-SYC1 4-pin Y-Cables. I have seen a lot of people say 2 ways should be fine but as this hasn't been the case for me would my only other option be a 2nd CmdPro?

There is always the possibility the fan circuit on the Commander wasn't quite up to it to begin with or some other anomaly. I have been running 7-10 fans on one original Commander Pro for years now. I use the same splitters you do, in all their pretty colors. It may just be bad luck and not something inherently wrong with what you were doing. That is a quality splitter and 2 LL fans should not blow the circuit for a single header.

Rather than a 2nd Commander Pro, you likely would want to run a less expensive PWM Hub/Repeater. That takes the PWM signal from one C-Pro header and then duplicates it for the fans on the hub. It is effectively a self-powered splitter getting its own power from a separate SATA connection and taking load off the C-Pro. I don't think you should have to do that for 6 fans on 5 slots. It is was I should and am now doing for higher fan counts.

There is always the possibility the fan circuit on the Commander wasn't quite up to it to begin with or some other anomaly. I have been running 7-10 fans on one original Commander Pro for years now. I use the same splitters you do, in all their pretty colors. It may just be bad luck and not something inherently wrong with what you were doing. That is a quality splitter and 2 LL fans should not blow the circuit for a single header.

Rather than a 2nd Commander Pro, you likely would want to run a less expensive PWM Hub/Repeater. That takes the PWM signal from one C-Pro header and then duplicates it for the fans on the hub. It is effectively a self-powered splitter getting its own power from a separate SATA connection and taking load off the C-Pro. I don't think you should have to do that for 6 fans on 5 slots. It is was I should and am now doing for higher fan counts.

OK mate thanks for the reply, I kinda thought the same thinking 2 fans would be fine on a splitter but think I will just go with the safer option and get a fan hub. Cheers for the suggestions.