Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627683
Skunkworks Reputation: 10
Default Does my Commander sound dead?

With the H80i plugged straight into the motherboard I get the temps, and fan RPM in the Link software. I just got the Commander and Cooling Node through the post today, but when I plug the H80i into the Commander I get no pump/fan RPM readings. Also, the 4 3-pin fans and 1 temp sensor I have connected to the Cooling Node are not showing either. I have double checked all the connections, moved the H80i and Cooling Node on to different channels (they were originally on 1 for the H80i and 2 for the Cooling Node). The fans connected to the Cooling Node are running, ok, so getting power from the Node's molex, but not appearing at all in the Dashboard.

Am I missing something obvious or is the Commander dead?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM
JR23's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627690
JR23 Reputation: 10

Had the exact same thing after a rebuild this morning. I have found in the past that the problem lies with the commanders USB connection to the motherboard, try a different USB header. What works for me is staggering the USB connector so 4 pins stick into fresh air and 4 go into the female USB on the commander. Of course there are two ways are doing that and only one will work.

Could be Commander Firmware also? What shows up when you go to the devices tab of Corsair Link?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627731

This whole thing is flaky as hell, and I'm getting more annoyed by the second.

The H80 has started being weird too, so I’m not sure if I have 1 or 2 problems here.

If I put the 2 fans onto the H80 header for fans 1 & 2 they will sometimes just stop. I hit the power button and they both start spinning, but then just slow and stop, and I get a warning from the BIOS that my CPU fan has failed. This seems to be completely random, as it did it earlier, and again just now, but is ok now. :s

Also, Corsair, why did you choose those horrible tiny connectors? Most of the time when equipment like this is being installed it’s done in cramped spaces, and often by feel alone. You’ve chosen connectors that are incredibly difficult to use under such circumstances. For example, just now I had to take the rad and fans off the back of the case, and there was no way in hell I would have been able to connect the Link cable onto the header on the H80i. Little things like more tactile connectors make a huge difference.

Right, back to the Commander stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Had the exact same thing after a rebuild this morning. I have found in the past that the problem lies with the commanders USB connection to the motherboard, try a different USB header. What works for me is staggering the USB connector so 4 pins stick into fresh air and 4 go into the female USB on the commander. Of course there are two ways are doing that and only one will work.

Could be Commander Firmware also? What shows up when you go to the devices tab of Corsair Link?
Thanks for your post.

My motherboard has walls around the USB headers, so I can’t do the pin trick you mentioned, but I have tried it in other USB headers, and it’s now in the one that worked fine when the H80i was plugged into it.

I have tried updating the firmware, but 1 of 2 things happens:
  • 1 Nothing
  • 2 The UAC pops up and with Sierra2.Bootloader.exe, I hit ok and then Windows tells me that Sierra2Bootloader.exe has stopped working.

I have a green LED on the Commander. It did flash red once, but no idea why.

In devices I either have nothing, or:
  • System 2.2.0
  • Intel i7 920
  • Disk drives
  • AMD Radeon

With the H80i plugged straight into the header the details for the H80i also appear here, but not when connected to the Commander.

Right now I just want to send the lot back for a refund and just forget about it.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM
JR23's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627737

Yeah thats what I feel like every time I do something with it! But it always seems to work out eventually. You can return it if you want but I figured only a total nutjob who wants to really play around with PC's too much would buy it in the first place so im sure you will get some enjoyment out of getting it to work. Not the kind of thing my mum would buy for her inspiron lol.

Do you have the right software to update the firmware? I think you need to go back to 2.0.6(see guides)?

Have you ever seen the commander show up in devices with its firmware stated?

I think I would be inclined to try some previous versions of the link software to see if you can get any more hardware to show up, then update it, then move to newer software. Always restart after uninstalling then install fresh.

I use a USB extension cable to stagger it as it wouldn't reach my motherboard from where I have the commander mounted.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627738

Thanks, I shall give it a try tomorrow. Right now I have to walk away or else something is going to get smashed.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627746

Just tried an older version of Link, no change.

When using the commander, I have not seen any Corsair devices - no commander, no cooling node, no H80i, nothing at all. I assuming the Commander must be faulty.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 AM

POST ID # = 627821
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 124

Install LINK 1.2.7 beta and see if the devices are detected. If they are you need to update the FW to 2.0.6 for it to be detected in LINK 2.X.X.

You can refer to this guide if you need help.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=113619

Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627916

Thanks Toasted, I've managed to get the FW updated and the Commander and Cooling Node are now showing in Link, but still no H80i. Also, as soon as I connected the H80i to the Commander I started getting the BIOS error telling my CPU fan has failed.

I really should have got this kit free as I seem to be beta testing it.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627919
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkworks View Post
Thanks Toasted, I've managed to get the FW updated and the Commander and Cooling Node are now showing in Link, but still no H80i. Also, as soon as I connected the H80i to the Commander I started getting the BIOS error telling my CPU fan has failed.

I really should have got this kit free as I seem to be beta testing it.
did you hook up the cpu-fan wire to the m/b?

Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627922

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
did you hook up the cpu-fan wire to the m/b?
Yes, literally the only change was plugging the Link wire into the Commander.

I just rebooted and didn't get the error, but all of my fan speeds have vanished from the dashboard. Also, when I tried to set Custom values for my case fans all the RPM values for each temp point changed instead of just the value for that temp point.

Seriously, Corsair, did you actually test this stuff? If you released a new car in this state they'd be corpses everywhere!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
JR23's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627923

Are you running your H80i fans off the cooling node and are you trying to plug your H80i into the commander? I have all of my fans on cooling nodes. My H100i just has the power, 3pin and Corsair Link cable plugged in.

If I remove the Corsair Link cable to the H100i nothing happens apart from it doesn't show the pump speed and temperature in link.

If I remove the USB cable from the commander and leave the Corsair Link cable plugged in to the H100i then I will get a CPU fan error and no light on the pump, the same as you i'm guessing which is why I said you might be having USB difficulties in my first post but evidently if the commanders now showing up

These are the versions i'm running atm with no problems if that's of any help

[IMG]http://4.bp.*************/-FTxCMHvz1BE/UPwqOxtLA6I/AAAAAAAACr4/lrXE5zPVxJU/s1600/Untitled.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627940

I'm just uploading a short video that might explain things a bit better than I can in text, but here's the quick version:

If I plug the H80i into the Commander it cocks things up and no devices will be detected.

The H80i fans are running from the H80i, and it will go on its own USB header soon due to the above.

The LED on the Commander is now flashing green and red, where it was constant green before.

Adjusting temp/RPM in the dashboard has zero effect on the fans, they are constantly at max.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627944

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Da1GLXJxg

Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627965

Right, the H80i is now on its own USB header and is visible in the Dashboard. Also, all of my fans a temp censors are visible and recording too.

The one issue I have now is that I can't control ANY fan speeds - they all sit at max no matter what I do. I also can't create a custom fan profile as I still can't set indivual RPM points to go with the temp points - all 5 RPM points stay the same as detailed in the vid at 1:15.

Woohoo, I can get the H80 LED to change colour with CPU temp! I don't even have a window on my case, I'm just happy something is doing as it should.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Skunkworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 627978

All seems to be working now. Jeez that was a time-sink.

Many thanks to those who helped. :)