8 pin PCI-E connector for vga

Rob43

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

@Ramguy,

Sir,

I'd purchased d HX620 keeping in mind the 2X6 pin PCI-E connector which had no problems powering the XFX 8800GTX.

But since I'm planning to invest in a 9800GX2/3870X2 an 8 pin connector is called for.. :(

Since I'm from India, is there any Corsair ppl I can get in touch with here or will the Corsair support help me??

Pl help.. :(

In despair,

Gannu

Please email your request to Ramguy@corsairmemory.com with your name, address and phone number, and we will get it sent out to you.

I done this when you asked me,but got no reply. Now i have mailed the different address in the last post as well. Hope you can help sort me out with these connectors

I was also advised to mail this address below(via another forum) with these details & have had no reply either:

"To avoid UK customers having to pay shipping costs from the US for 6+2-pin PCI-E cables, we have set up a new procedure.

If you live in the UK and require 6+2-pin PCI-E cables for your HX-series modular PSU, please contact Corsair Customer ServiceGroup.CSGMarketing@corsairmemory.com .You will need to include a digital copy of your invoice attached to the email as proof of purchase along with your shipping address. Your cable will then be posted to you free of charge"

No reply either & followed these instructions

Can you advise me what to do now please

Thanks,

Rob

• Corsair Employee
Is d copy of the bill required to be sent as a proof of purchase??

This is not necessary, if anyone has any trouble getting the cables then please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or (510) 657-8747 and they should be able to help you over the phone!

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i've bought Corsair Hx620w from OCuk about 5 month ago. it came with 2+6pin PCIe cables.

what i want to know is that when i upgrade to 9800Gx2, will i encounter problems with the cable and the 9800Gx2 socket, as nVidia said

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_9800gx2_pwr_supply.html

A subset of these modular connectors have a mechanical latch that is too wide and do not fit the 8-pin PCI-E power connector on the GeForce 9800 GX2 graphics card and are marked with an asterisk (*) in the table.

note: Hx620w isn't in there, hope it's powerful enough. but the fact Hx1000w is in there with (*) worries me, whether the connector will fit.

• Corsair Employee
Our HX620w will be plenty of power for this card, but if you are using 2 of these cards, you will want to use our TX750 or HX1000. As far as I know Nvidia should be providing adapters with these cards, however the first batch of these cards may not have this included. If you have any problems let us know and we will send you out an adapter. Please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or (510) 657-8747 to get the adapter, calling us will be the fastest way to get this sent out to you!

• Corsair Employee
I jus got mine too;

RAM GUY thanx a lot and esp to Mr. Joseph Ocbina from the CUst Serv Dept..

U guys rock..

Other companies shud learn from ppl like urs..

HX620 FTW!!!

Ill be sure to pass the message over to him!

Hi,

I was browsing through EVGA's forum and came across this post: ( http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=291087 ) Does this apply to the cables that was sent out?

No worries, the Corsair 6+2-pin cables and/or adapters will work fine. The extra 2-pins in the 6+2-pin PCIe cable are only used for ground (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/6088/cab-97_2.jpg/cab-97/6_Pin_PCI-E_to_8_Pin_PCI-E2_Adapter_Cable.html). As long as your psu is able to deliver the amps on the 12V rail(s) then you have nothing to worry about. Even the 6-pin to 8-pin adapters will suffice for most psu's even though the EVGA tech recommends against them. What I find interesting is that EVGA and other mfg's have been shipping dual molex to 6-pin PCIe adapters for years. I wonder if those meet UL spec? ;):

• Corsair Employee
Hi,

I was browsing through EVGA's forum and came across this post: (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=291087) Does this apply to the cables that was sent out?

Our cables are 6+2 cables and will work fine with the 9800GX2 or any other card that requires 8-pin PCI-E. You should, however, be aware of this http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=67833.

The 8-pin is capable of drawing more power. The power limitation is on the cable, not the actual port on the PSU.

Hi there Mr Ram Guy, I'm running a 9800GX2 from my HX620, but my GX2 came with a 6->8 pin cable converter (BFG are shipping with this). I notice that you stated that the power limitation is on the cable, does this mean I am risking overheating the 6pin cable that is connected to the 8 pin converter? If so I will take you up on the offer of a proper 8 pin cable (No need to repeat the contact number I can find it). Otherwise I'd like to stick with the BFG supplied converter (It has been designed to cope with Nvidia's connector issue). Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employee
i have a corsair hx620 and going to buy a 9800 gx2,but haven't 8pin cables.. How i can get that cables? I live in Portugal.. Must send my request to the same email or it's different for Portugal?

Yes, its the same.

Hi there Mr Ram Guy, I'm running a 9800GX2 from my HX620, but my GX2 came with a 6->8 pin cable converter (BFG are shipping with this). I notice that you stated that the power limitation is on the cable, does this mean I am risking overheating the 6pin cable that is connected to the 8 pin converter? If so I will take you up on the offer of a proper 8 pin cable (No need to repeat the contact number I can find it). Otherwise I'd like to stick with the BFG supplied converter (It has been designed to cope with Nvidia's connector issue). Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the connector that BFG is sending out with these cards, you would have to contact them for the information. I CAN tell you that our 6+2 pin PCI-E cables will work just fine with the card, and we would be happy to send one out to you. However, there IS the issue of the pin location on the connector.

Yes, its the same.

I'm not familiar with the connector that BFG is sending out with these cards, you would have to contact them for the information. I CAN tell you that our 6+2 pin PCI-E cables will work just fine with the card, and we would be happy to send one out to you. However, there IS the issue of the pin location on the connector.

Thanks for the response, I'm not sure I phrased the question properly;

Assuming that the BFG adapter is capable, Is there any reason why the corsair 6 pin cable that is feeding the BFG adapter might not be able to cope with the load? (The BFG adapter converts a six pin PCIe to 6+2)

Archived