Corsair Community

ax850w titanium & 6 amp circuit breaker

buil

Hi, i am interested in buying corsair ax850 w titanium. Problem is my circuit breaker is only 6 amp. 230 volt, 5(60)a, 50 hz. 1300 watt.

According to the website below, ax850 titanium has inrush current of 63,621 amp on 230 volt input. Can my 6 amp circuit breaker handle the inrush current, or will it trip?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-ax850-psu,5986.html

I think it will trip, depends on what curve does it stand B6 / C6 or D6?

The B curve will trip your MCB at around 3-5 times the value of the nominal current, so around 18-30 amps. The C curve is around 5-10 times and so on.

I think it will trip, depends on what curve does it stand B6 / C6 or D6?

The B curve will trip your MCB at around 3-5 times the value of the nominal current, so around 18-30 amps. The C curve is around 5-10 times and so on.

Thankyou, It's C6, so that means the maximum inrush current it van handle before tripping is 60 amp right? I am going to check the 750w version.

Correctly. I think you should go to a bigger MCB. Are you sure that 6Amps MCB is for power outlet circuit and not for the lighting? Usualy is 6A/10A - lighting and 16A/32A - Power dependant on devices, area, etc.

Yes, the mcb is installed on the electric meter. I am sure it is for the power outlet circuit.

The pc will be placed in an apartement that I rent near my office, replacing the mcb will likely be difficult

Edited by buil

• Corsair Employee
I have a 15A breaker in 120V and my HX1000i never trips it. I often power down to modify the hardware.

True. But a 120V is going to have double the current of 230V and that's why our breakers are such high capacity.

Also, the 15A rating that NEMA gives is for continuous output. Not peak. The 15A rating is actually only 80% of peak. For something like an in-rush current, your outlet will handle upwards of 20A.

With MCB's (miniature circuit breakers) used in the U.K. (where OP is located) you have B, C, D, K and Z curves that will all trip at different continuous vs. peak loads.

Edited by jonnyguru