Corsair Community

Possible to change mode and still enter keypress?

lowpass

I see there's a way to switch modes by mapping a key, but that also disables the regular input.

Is there a way to change modes and still have the keys function as normal?

Yes, this!

For example, say you want to have it so when you press the CapsLock key the keyboard changes to a mode that has a different lighting map for the letter keys. Easily programmed feature for the devs, just a key pass-through.

Another variation of that may be that when you hold down the shift key the keyboard changes to a different mode that changes the lighting map for the affected keys. A little more difficult to code for the devs, but possible.

This will prevent the default input from registering with the modified action.

And this is exactly what we don't want.

It should be possible to either have a check box like "also process keystroke" when assigning a key to switch a mode/profile or to have "switch to mode/profile xyz" available in macros.

It should be possible to either have a check box like "also process keystroke" when assigning a key to switch a profile or to have "switch to profile xyz" available in macros.

Agreed, that would be really useful to have!

For example in games we could press the key to enable chat and that changes mode as well to light up all keys with a single color, then the other mode has another similar key (let's say ENTER) and when you press it while in "chat mode" it submits the message and switches back to the "gaming mode".

This is just a quick example but I can definitely see myself and a lot of other peoples using something like that.

Exactly.

That's what I wanted to do for Battlefield.

The default mode has only the relevant keys lit.

The mode "chat" lits the previously unlit keys in white.

When in default mode:

When pressing J, K or L -> enter the keystroke (J, K or L), then switch to mode "chat"

When in mode "chat":

When pressing ESC or ENTER -> enter the keystroke, then switch to default mode

• Corsair Employee

It should be possible to either have a check box like "also process keystroke" when assigning a key to switch a mode/profile or to have "switch to mode/profile xyz" available in macros.

You can assign a double macro upon pressing and depressing a key but to incorporate a profile/mode switch to a key that also registers an output is a very difficult task to implement and probably not one most people would use.

I can add it to the wish list though as part of my feedback or at least recommend that a key being released can incorporate more actions like mode/profile switching.

Made an account just to add that this is a feature i would like for both the keyboard and mouse. I have the m65 RGB and i think a cool effect would be color changes depending on which button is depressed. EX: Left click makes all the colors green, right click blue, and sniper button purple let's say, and when nothing is depressed the mode returns to default. this feature is almost there in that you can assign a mode change to any of the buttons, but it does not also 'right click' like i am looking for. it is either a mouse click or a mode change, and i would like to see both

probably not one most people would use.

Really? Honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to mode switch that isn't based on some kind of program state.

Light up A-Z when the chat key is pressed in a game

Light up X, C, V, A, S, etc. when CTRL is held, to show the available key combinations in whatever program you're running (color-coded by action type, perhaps)

About the only reason I could think to have a dedicated mode switch key is for modes where the detection is too difficult or impossible to detect from a simple keypress, like if you have to enable something with the mouse.

Or you just want to show off the keyboard, I guess.

Really? Honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to mode switch that isn't based on some kind of program state.

lowpass is absolutely right here.

For a K95 I can understand that the requested feature is not that important because you have 18 additional keys.

But for the K70? Why should we lose a key to be able to switch the mode?

Like lowpass said, mode switching makes most sense when the state of the program changes, like in my example above: "the chat windows is active in a game". Or you press CTRL in Eclipse and light up the keys with special functions, and so on...

• Corsair Employee

Lighting options to be expanded to per-key pressing of changing to state is something I would love to be enhanced too but that would be a significant overhaul to the CUE design. Holding down CTRL to change a mode makes sense, but if it also still output CTRL upon actuation, then its a bit more difficult in implementation.

I'll give you guys an example. If I selected "t" to be my key, and I held it down so it could give me a mode where WASD lit up and did something else, that's okay. However, if I also had "t" register "t" in addition to that, then the software would have to continuously switch between the original mode and the "second while t is being held down mode" every time you use "t." You would also be registering as output "ttttttttttttttttt" as long as you held it down too which may also bring about strange results when we throw in macro sequences that are being played simultaneously.

Is it really that hard to implement "switch to mode xyz" for usage in macros?

That would be useful enough.

True, changing mode while holding CTRL and sending the key press wouldn't work with that solution (and I totally understand that that can't work well at all), but at least we could change modes when a keypress also changes a program's state.

Why wouldn't ctrl work with a macro command to mode switch?

IIRC the macro already has options like "press X" and "release X"

Can't remember if you can have different macros play on press/release, but that would be an easy solution then:

Physically press ctrl -> run macro "press ctrl, change mode to Commands"

Physically release ctrl -> run macro "change mode to Normal, release ctrl"

Why wouldn't ctrl work with a macro command to mode switch?

IIRC the macro already has options like "press X" and "release X"

Can't remember if you can have different macros play on press/release, but that would be an easy solution then:

Physically press ctrl -> run macro "press ctrl, change mode to Commands"

Physically release ctrl -> run macro "change mode to Normal, release ctrl"

Your suggestion could work. It all depends on how the macro engine works.

Corsair should just give us the "change to mode" function in macros with the next version of CUE and we will see what we can use it for. :biggrin:

Hope that a possibility for this will be added. This is one of few things I would actually find _useful_ with this keyboard when it comes to lighting. There is a lot of wow-factor with the lighting.

I was setting up a profile myself for playing the old gem of a game "Tie Fighter". This game has a lot of keys used and quite a few commands using "Shift" and "Alt"-keys. I was thinking that I could light up the possible possible keys that are usable commands while pressing Shift and Alt, but since shift and alt is no longer recognized when using these keys for modes, then the key-combinations don't work. I get fancy lighting, but no effect.

I would think that a lot of people would find that a useful feature.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just registered, because I returned my Logitech Keyboard due to the lack of this functionality.

Was there an update in the meantime, that allows to change the mode while meintaining the initial function of the key?

I play mostly Arma3 and there you have much options while holding down the modifier keys.

Holding CTRL lets you access the stance modification. It would be very cool to just light up all keys you use ingame and when holding down the CTRL key, you only get the stande adjust keys to light up. But for this the CTRL should send it's function to the game.

Next scenario I wanna use is to switch into some kind of Chat Mode.

When I hit Enter I want to switch to full-lit mode to see all of my keys. But for this it is essential to send the Enter function to the game.

Is this possible by now?

I know this is an old thread, but I just registered, because I returned my Logitech Keyboard due to the lack of this functionality.

Was there an update in the meantime, that allows to change the mode while meintaining the initial function of the key?

I play mostly Arma3 and there you have much options while holding down the modifier keys.

Holding CTRL lets you access the stance modification. It would be very cool to just light up all keys you use ingame and when holding down the CTRL key, you only get the stande adjust keys to light up. But for this the CTRL should send it's function to the game.

Next scenario I wanna use is to switch into some kind of Chat Mode.

When I hit Enter I want to switch to full-lit mode to see all of my keys. But for this it is essential to send the Enter function to the game.

Is this possible by now?

There is a tutorial on how to setup 2 actions on the same button but nothing official yet. Hopefully they have this in their plans for CUE 2.0 considering how many peoples are asking for it, but so far there is no update from Corsair on the matter.

If you're interested in the tutorials, here's the link: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=141231

Thank you for your quick response. I saw that thread before, this would work with the "chat scenario" but unfortunately not with the Arma acenario. This would be okay for me. The only thing thatnis disturbing is, that some guys in this thread say they have to redo the profile after each PC startup.

This fact is still holding me back buying the corsair.

At the moment I am in contact with different manufacturers regarding the chat scenario. It can't be that not a single manufacturer, apart from Roccat has this possibility.

Roccat offera them all I want, but no RGB illmination. If RGB was there I would be so in.

Other way around. If corsair offered only this key-passthrough alongside the illumination changing on keypeess and hold. I would be so in, buying a Strafe RGB.

• 4 weeks later...

Made an account to type this...

I see this functionality or the lack there of a complete oversight for its use cases. There are many situations that call for exactly what people are asking.

I'm going to assume the developers of this tool are thinking the only way to implement this sort of feature would result in reworking the assignment system and how keys are assigned.

Possible form of implementation. (without prior knowledge of how this software is coded or organised)

Mode setting: Instead of focusing on the keyboard you can give the user three additional options in the mode settings.

1 - Provide the user with the ability to assign a key bind (such as LeftCtrl+Shift)

2&3 - This would be a toggle to either press the keybinding or hold it when entering the mode (and releasing it when you exit)

The the most common use of this ability would by minding a chat mode for people.

- Assuming (enter) is the key to activate and to submit the chat entry you would see the following.

1. Press (enter) - mode is switched to chat mode

2. Upon entering chat mode the system reads (enter) is pressed and released - to send to the game to enter chat mode.

3. The user is able to type what they want without either flashing, changing colors, or other modifiers.

4. Press (enter) again to change the mode again

5. Upon leave the mode, the system read enter was pressed to then send to the game.

TL;DR

Assign custom presses and key holds to the mode enter and leave, because that is what people want.

• 8 months later...

I am sad to notice that there is no way to accomplish this in CUE2. The modifier key still loses its modifier capability when switching temporarily a profile. Also, it is not possible to switch profiles in macros.

The closest solution (from the imaginary dev perspective) would be the SOLID lightning effect. But only if the devs expanded the feature so that only one of the selected keys highlights ALL the selected keys. Now you can select ALT, and for example keys X Y and Z, and have X Y Z highlight when you press ALT. But also, when you press X Y or Z, all the keys X Y Z and ALT highlight. This is why SOLID effects do not work...

This is only advanced lighting feature I'd want from my Corsair K70 RGB. It's a pity we don't have it. I don't care about animations at all.

Archived