Corsair Community

One key termination of another key

Arodna

Is it possible to have one key terminate the function of another key input on press?

for example if I were to press Q the function of E would be terminated. I need this to occur only on the press of Q, but after i let go of Q, i need E to gain its function back.

I think you can do this, but I only tested in this text window. If this has a game application purpose, how it interprets the keystrokes may override.

Go to Actions and hit the + to create a new one. You are going to record a simple macro.

1) Click the red dot record button.

2) Press and release E normally.

3) Stop the recording.

You now have a press and release with pause on the screen. Select the "press E" command and delete it. Then delete the pause. You now can assign it to Q by clicking that key in the keyboard above.

One final step. Click on the advanced settings and on the right at the bottom is a "retain original key output" box. Check it to make sure Q will still be a Q.

In my testing the Q will stop a string of repeating Es while it is held down and place a Q and the end of the string.

Edited by c-attack

I think you can do this, but I only tested in this text window. If this has a game application purpose, how it interprets the keystrokes may override.

Go to Actions and hit the + to create a new one. You are going to record a simple macro.

1) Click the red dot record button.

2) Press and release E normally.

3) Stop the recording.

You now have a press and release with pause on the screen. Select the "press E" command and use the trash can to delete it. Then delete the pause. You now can assign it to Q by clicking that key in the keyboard above.

One final step. Click on the advanced settings and on the right at the bottom is a "retain original key output" box. Check it to make sure Q will still be a Q.

In my testing the Q will stop a string of repeating Es while it is held down and place a Q and the end of the string.

If you don’t mind, could you test this situation for me?

Hold down E, press and release the Q while holding down E. Is the result a string of E’s with a Q in the middle with another string of E’s right after it?

That's different. The Q is going to stop the E string regardless, but the E won't pick and repeat again unless you re-press and hold the E. There is a way around that, but it may or may not be preferreable.

Record a Macro

1) Press and release E

2) Delete the pause only.

3) Advanced Settings - Change trigger to: "On Pressed" and Repeat to "Repeat Constantly". This turns it into a high speed E train. You can slow this down if needed by adding a delay in the next box.

4) Assign the new macro to E.

This will give you eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeqeeeeeeeeeeeeee, but otherwise be unsuitable for typing and you will get multiple Es with a single press.

Edited by c-attack

That's different. The Q is going to stop the E string regardless, but the E won't pick and repeat again unless you re-press and hold the E. There is a way around that, but it may or may not be preferreable.

Record a Macro

1) Press and release E

2) Delete the pause only.

3) Advanced Settings - Change trigger to: "On Pressed" and Repeat to "Repeat Constantly". This turns it into a high speed E train. You can slow this down if needed by adding a delay in the next box.

4) Assign the new macro to E.

This will give you eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeqeeeeeeeeeeeeee, but otherwise be unsuitable for typing and you will get multiple Es with a single press.

Is there a way to make it so that after the pause, the E will behave like normal? I did not realize that assigning the new macro to E will create a function that basically presses and releases the E key multiple times in a row.

I need it to function just like a regular E key would after the pause meaning that if you press it down once, it will repeat E’s regularly then when I release the E key, the string of E’s will stop. As of right now the macro you made makes it so that with a single press of E, the macro will spam the E key pressing and releasing multiple times in a row.

Basically I need it to function as this: Hold E, Press Q while holding E (stops E), after the release of Q, E behaves as though it got pressed once until it is released.

I think the answer lies in stopping the “release E key” macro on the Q key after the Q key has been pressed once. Or by modifying the behavior of the Q key macro which is pausing the E key.

Another Idea could be only assigning the “press E” macro to the E key and finding someway to stop this macro with the release of the E key.

Edited by Arodna